Dwight Yorke Interview

omariqy

On 24/12/2020 at 22:24, S-Platt said:

Class player always played with a smile on his face.   The 90s were a fabulous time to be a Villa fan and Yorkie will always be one of my faves.

Yeah same for me. Adored him when I first started going in the mid 90s and the Dwight Yorke Dwight Yorke chant started up in the Holte.

Big game player who scored in our last cup win and a few of the big ones in europe in our run in 97/98. Big surprise to me he never scored 20 league goals for us in a season, was more around 15 and would get to 20 with his goals in the cups.

Class player although of course it hurt to see him go to Man. United and win plenty.

We at least did a far better job of replacing him than Benteke given we signed Merson and Dublin for pretty much what we sold him for.

Edit: Completely forgotton he was ever at SHA tbh. Can remember more him coming on for Sunderland at VP in I think 2007/08 and getting a decent round of applause so I think by then people knew his career was all but over so wanted to say thanks. SImilar to how Barry got booed when he came back with Man. City but then got a decent ovation when playing for WBA against us in the championship.

Edited by VillaChris

22 hours ago, omariqy said:

He speaks quite well in the interview about management. Admits he went about it in the wrong way.

I got a bit of stick for it in the managers thread the other weeks but there are always opportunities further down or abroad as Sol Campbell has shown. If he's not even getting an interview for those jobs then it would be big problem.

10 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

My fav player as a kid, used to live by us when he was in digs with Sheila and Bryn which he mentioned in that interview and when he left as he only moved around the corner from them, as I know he kept in contact with them when he left the villa 

New Hall wasn't it, think I remember it from his infamous evening sessions with Bozzy the year before they both left!:lol:

I started following Villa in '87.. for me he's the most skillful player we ever had. I used to get to games extra early just so I could watch him ball juggle in the pre-match warm up.

He should be a legend, makes me sad he's not considered as one

Thanks for this Omar

I started following football and supporting Villa around 1995 and of course Yorke was my favourite player. My first Villa shirt has Yorke on the back. My dad somehow managed to get me one with the wrong number on the back too! 

I was probably too young to begrudge him the move to United or understand it. It just broke my heart!

Thanks for sharing the interview Omar. I’ll have to watch it over a few sittings! The first 15 minutes I’ve seen were great, and I’d never really heard the full story about how he got picked up, just an idea we’d spotted him in Trinidad and Tobago  

On 24/12/2020 at 19:04, omariqy said:

Talking off air with Dwight it was clear to see that the Blues move was a low point in his career as he saw it. He also said he meant Blues were bigger within Birmingham than Villa - reckon that was just to get onside with the fans. 

So hes still defending the blues > villa nonsense? Cretin.

Any statement that blues are bigger than villa is utter bollox unless the geographical area you're talking about is a narrow strip going east along the A45.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Guess I'm the odd one out here. He was a special player back in the day, but after that Man Utd bullshit he's irrelevant to me. He's basically taken every wrong step I can imagine in the eyes of a reasonable fan. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't exist. 

I think if you made a list of all former Villa players for an interview, he'd for me be at the bottom of the list. Absolutely not interest in hearing that twunt speak a single word. 

But you still clicked into a thread titled ‘Dwight Yorke Interview’... the jilted ex

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29grojetnoqt82k7shkr

• Haha 1

I have listened to the interview and he said a few times that Villa gave him a platform and he is grateful for that. I have long had the impression that he saw us a stepping stone and felt he was bigger than the club.

He was a very good player for us but I don't feel any real connection to him which is a shame as I am of an age where I saw him come through. I think the arrogant way he has spoken about us since he left and the way he reacted when he came back has meant that I just don't have that sentimental connection with him which is shame given how good he was and how much I thought of him when he played for us. 

As an aside back in the early 90's I often saw him out in town usually with Bryan Small amongst others. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

To Manure fans he's a nothing player , their not interested,  to stay in the limelight he starts commenting on Villa. He's a weasel 

If he stayed here he would have been considered a club legend. 

He can of course point to his medal collection but it's something all young players should consider. 

Off the top of head I can think of at least half a dozen players that upset me more when they left. He was s great player in our history, but the way he left, the nonsense about the blues, and his behaviour off the field with regard to his son means that I just can't warm to him like many past players. 

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

New Hall wasn't it, think I remember it from his infamous evening sessions with Bozzy the year before they both left!:lol:

Stan collymore, preferred the out doors.😀

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He goes on the list with Gabby for me as players that should be incredibly popular, if only they weren't words removed.

I have a lot more time for Gabby.

Yeah, he went a bit shit towards the end, but he’s always been Villa through and through.

Yorkie owes us no loyalty, but by the same sentiment, he shouldn’t expect any back.

So when he went on talksport talking about how he ‘deserved’ the villa job, and that he wasn’t being considered because he was black, it really wound me up.

Go find yourself a different stepping stone mate. I have no problem with players leaving for the sake of their career, that’s life - but to demand favourable treatment from the club you left?? Need a reality check mate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Great interview thanks @omariqy

Thanks mate. Found it really interesting to speak to him. He obviously loves Villa and I don’t blame him for going to Man U at that time. The other stuff didn’t upset me as much as others because once he left I sort of cut ties with him in my mind. I prefer to remember the amazing memories. 

• Like 1

Graham Taylor sure found some wonderful players to wear the claret and blue. He discovered Yorke whilst on a pre season trip to Trinidad. Tommy Docherty, on first seeing Dwight play said, " if Dwight yorke is a professional footballer, I'm Mau Sa Tung ", it turns out Docherty is Mau Sa Tung.

Taylor also gave us the irrepressible, David Platt and the immortal, Mr McGrath, who apparently was past his sell by date.

• Like 1

Â