Ratings & Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/12/20 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Are you joking? He fly-kicked Jack in the shin, deliberately trying to injure him. That’s as clear a red as you’ll see beside a direct punch in the face. 

He'd already won the ball before made contact. I didn't think there was as malicious intent as people making out but by letter of law was red 

Its amazing what self- confidence can do for a player's game. People on here were pretty quick to doubt Traore and what he can bring to this side. I think he went some way to removing that doubt tonight. He was everywhere and his decision making was spot on. Same with Anwar, when he's got his swag on, he's pleasure to watch.

A mention for Kourtney, too. A monster in defence .

Some great swashbuckling football, it's a thing of beauty. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I love Deano, but boy does he need to start subbing players off when we've finished off matches like this one. You don't want your best players risking injury dealing with the likes of the boggies when we're 3-0 up. 

We didn’t finish  this off until the last 10 minutes why change things then ?

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He'd already won the ball before made contact. I didn't think there was as malicious intent as people making out but by letter of law was red 

You don't go diving in on a player passing you with straight leg studs fronting 30 cm above ground if it's not with intent to harm.

I've played this game in all sorts of pub leagues for 35 years and at least not seen it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Gave the officiating team a poor. Missed red on Hause and the Ollie disallowed goal really tarnished it 

I gave them an average for that just because it's the norm these days

At the 80 minute mark I was wondering, who am I going to choose as MOTM? At the 82nd minute I thought Traore, at the 84th Traore scores a sneaky beaut.

For me the MOTM could have gone to Grealish or El Ghazi as well. Honourable mentions to Luiz, Mings and McGinn. The rest were boring old 7s. Having said that it was against a very poor West Brom. 

The red and yellow cards I understand ...  thought the referee was average.

The penalty I thought was a bit soft ...  to me it looked like the foul had started outside of the box, but it did end up in the box.

The offside ...  I wish they would sort out the offside rule. Watkin's foot was just in an offside position I thought. A defender's hand was to my mind over the line. A few weeks earlier a hand (I think it might have been Ollie's) was deemed offside. So it would appear the rule does not apply consistently to attackers and defenders.

First time I have had chance to watch a Villa game all the way through in a while :) 

Targett was superb. As usual.

Anyway, the Hause foul was never a red. It was clumsy and a definite yellow. But they happen all the time. You can't give a red any time someone is a bit high. Reds are for dangerous lunges, 2 footers, violently reckless.

The lines for Watkins' goal on VAR weren't drawn right. That was a perfectly good goal.

Traore and El Ghazi got some real confidence and by the end were really dangerous running into the box. 

I was a bit worried about 80 mins because Sam's tactic of keeping it to 1-0 then trying to nick one might have worked. But Grealish's amazing run then feeding Traore perfectly showed that as soon as teams leave space behind, we'll exploit it.

I really hope we can carry this form into the Palace game because we can really cause them problems.

Quality performance from Villa, a win was never in doubt for me. Refreshing to have that feeling watching Villa play.

Many standout performances and I really wanted to give MOTM to El Ghazi but I think Traore just pips him. Traore oozes quality with the ball at his feet and what a sublime cross for El Ghazi to open the scoring and then his finish was impeccable. Link play between he and Cash was also spectacular especially on the 25 minute mark where the two exchanged several passes to advance all the way down the right.

Grealish again was immense.

El Ghazi unlucky not to get a hat-trick.

Luiz linked up things nicely and McGinn was looking good too.

Long may our good form continue, UTV.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You don't go diving in on a player passing you with straight leg studs fronting 30 cm above ground if it's not with intent to harm.

I've played this game in all sorts of pub leagues for 35 years and at least not seen it.

I agree but watched it real time and replay and leg is already grounded before Grealish makes contact. If I was making Grealish run I'd probably hurdle the legs but Grealish has right to go for ball and that's why was deemed dangerous play

Edited by Kiwivillan

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Gave the officiating team a poor. Missed red on Hause and the Ollie disallowed goal really tarnished it 

Hause’s was never a red. It was clumsy and a yellow, but no danger, or malice, so just a yellow. 

• Like 2

Just spoke to my Albion mate. You can guess, can't you? Even game until the unfair sending off (Jack dived, natch). Watkins' offside was correct, Hause should have been a red. Amusing, really. 

• Like 1

Â