Ratings & Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/12/20 at 23:59

5 hours ago, hippo said:

Work to do on finishing - which might sound odd considering the score line - but we dithered in the final 3rd.

Nah not odd, you are right. We were equally dominant against Burnley but didn’t get the goals. So definitely still work to do to keep improving.

47 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Nah not odd, you are right. We were equally dominant against Burnley but didn’t get the goals. So definitely still work to do to keep improving.

More or less my thoughts as well 3 games in a row now where we looked to be lacking the clinical edge in the final third. I do quite like the way the formation from the last 2 games however, seems much more dynamic with Jack in the centre and all 3 AMs rotating around

8 hours ago, turvontour said:

The problem for the Hause challenge was the it was looked at in relation to what had happened with Livermore, minutes earlier. Hause one is always just a yellow.

I think the difference was intent and Hause (who I thought was excellent) wasn’t looking to cause injury where as Livermore was. It wasn’t even his first attempt on jack it had 3-4 goes to try and nail him. You can imagine big Sam telling him to launch into him first chance you get to let him know your there. Good stuff Jake at least you got a shower while the water was still hot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

to be fair VAR is fine, its just a system that actually works fine (if USED correctly), it works ok in Rugby etc, the problem is the tool referees (& FA) who are using it, i cant believe a multi billion pound industry like the PL is so incompetent at implementing it properly, total amateurs.

couldnt organise a p*** up in a brewery.

Is it fine though, was football so bad before VAR I’m incline to think it was better and more entertaining. If we are not willing to accept mistakes from refs then maybe we should not accept them from players too and have robots playing. Mistakes from players and officials are part of football and it makes it more interesting. VAR has allowed refs to admit they are rubbish but still allow them to be rubbish but just use tv to do it. Not every decision needs to be right as long as it’s done in good faith.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I think the difference was intent and Hause (who I thought was excellent) wasn’t looking to cause injury where as Livermore was. It wasn’t even his first attempt on jack it had 3-4 goes to try and nail him. You can imagine big Sam telling him to launch into him first chance you get to let him know your there. Good stuff Jake at least you got a shower while the water was still hot.

Fraid not. The boiler had broken down. Which wasn't "ideal" 😉

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

Just seen on Match of the Day that West Brom had an XG of 0.05! 😥 Surely one of the lowest ever.

Very believable. At one point in the second half at 1-0 I genuinely think Mings and Hause could have passed the ball between each other for 10 minutes without receiving any pressure. WBA made no attempt at all to come out and try to get the ball. 

To be fair to Allardyce when he switched to 3-4-2 they had more bodies in our half … but then we predictably just hit them on the counter with the space they left for Jack / Traore. 

But yeah usually during a PL game you'd expect a team to have at least one half chance to talk about , they had literally 0 chances 

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

Is it fine though, was football so bad before VAR I’m incline to think it was better and more entertaining. If we are not willing to accept mistakes from refs then maybe we should not accept them from players too and have robots playing. Mistakes from players and officials are part of football and it makes it more interesting. VAR has allowed refs to admit they are rubbish but still allow them to be rubbish but just use tv to do it. Not every decision needs to be right as long as it’s done in good faith.

I agree with MaVilla.  VAR should be a good thing to remover the "clear and obvious" errors.

To give Livermore a yellow was a clear and obvious error.

To chalk of Ollie's goal was not!

Does anyone think Cash, Konsa or Targett could sneak into the England setup before the end of the season, especially if some of the more established get injured? 

Really think the three mentioned above along with Mings wouldn’t look out of place at all.  As a back line, we’re performing very well indeed.

Great feeling to wake up this morning knowing that we’re in the top half of the league at Christmas.  It’s been a while.  

Interesting to read back through the match thread, with several comments along the lines of "Jack's having a poor game", "Jack in the middle doesn't work", "May as well take Grealish off" (note my avoidance of a Kenneth there), etc. Come on here and he's MOTM! 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Interesting to read back through the match thread, with several comments along the lines of "Jack's having a poor game", "Jack in the middle doesn't work", "May as well take Grealish off" (note my avoidance of a Kenneth there), etc. Come on here and he's MOTM! 

Players tend to often be judged by the standards that they have set themselves. Unless of course they are the registered kicking boy, in which case they are rubbish even if they’ve just scored a hat trick and made half a dozen goal line clearances. Jack can be below his normal standard and still be the best player on the pitch. 

I’m just happy that we played well, won the game and Jack wasn’t maimed by Livermore and his bosses 1970’s tactics. Good to see another dinosaur failing. 

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

Very believable. At one point in the second half at 1-0 I genuinely think Mings and Hause could have passed the ball between each other for 10 minutes without receiving any pressure. WBA made no attempt at all to come out and try to get the ball.

gif-los-simpsons-futbol-3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

He can't play in the following game anyway as we play Chelsea.

Have they merged 2 teams into Chelsea Palace as we play Palace next. That said considering we play Chelsea after they might give him the 2 games off to better recover and keep continuity

Last league games at Blues (0-1 win) West Brom (0-3 win) Wolves (0-1 win) Leicester (0-1 win) Derby (0-3 win) Forest (1-3 win). Coventry thankful they haven't played us for 20 years in the league at home

• Like 2

Â