Ratings & Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/12/20 at 23:59

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Surely this is a joke?

Well, obviously not, or I would have added a winky face.

If you care to add some sort of analysis, rather than just this pointless jibe, we could discuss it. 

Try a sentence that starts, "I didn't think Targett had an excellent game because..."

• Like 1

Such a hard call for motm for me. Gave it to mcginn in the end thought he was immense tonight.  But so were many others, Luiz was superb as were El Ghazi, Traore and of course Jack.

So happy with us this season😁😁

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

And **** VAR absolute shite technology

to be fair VAR is fine, its just a system that actually works fine (if USED correctly), it works ok in Rugby etc, the problem is the tool referees (& FA) who are using it, i cant believe a multi billion pound industry like the PL is so incompetent at implementing it properly, total amateurs.

couldnt organise a p*** up in a brewery.

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Hause a red card?

Footballs gone if thats a red.

Thought Livermores was a bit harsh as well tbh.

Sir Jack magnificent again today, we do miss Barkley, but we are a good team, and not far off a very good team.

are you related to Norman Hunter?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

The offside ...  I wish they would sort out the offside rule. Watkin's foot was just in an offside position I thought. A defender's hand was to my mind over the line. A few weeks earlier a hand (I think it might have been Ollie's) was deemed offside. So it would appear the rule does not apply consistently to attackers and defenders.

the issue is, with this stupid VAR offside stuff, so now due to this var cr*p, the best way for a defender to defend is to stand up straight, or even lean away from the goal (ie: not defend properly) and hope the progressing striker leaning forward as they drive towards the goal gives them the offside.

If a striker is driving forward their body naturally leans forward, both of Watkins disallowed VAR goals have been like that, he was driving/leaning forward both times, and both times the defenders were static and upright (ie: not noticing him/non-responsive to opposition threat), which led to the offside......aka crap defending is a benefit.......

It really needs sorting, cus tbh both of Watkins offside goals should have stood imo, mostly due to "clear and obvious", neither of those offsides were "clear and obvious", even if they were offside, it was by centimetres.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Eating himble pie tonight. Well done Anwar El Ghazi. Superb.

The rest awesome. 

I did not think ollie was offside. Would love to see other angles

is humble pie a bit sweeter?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

If that's offside I'm a llama 

The offside rule was never brought in to football to deem that offside, it was to stop goal hanging.....its become pedantic and silly, now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

I had to make do with following the game on the radio this evening and I've just seen the highlights, but perhaps someone could answer this for me:

Emi Martinez and Kieran Gibbs know each other from Arsenal. I'd heard a rumour that Emi had bought Gibbs a Christmas Card and had planned to give it him after the final whistle tonight.  Turns out he'd left the card in his locker at Villa Park and remembered this at some point in the first half (he was thinking about it just before he handled the ball outside the area perhaps?) so to avoid embarrassment he actually left the game during play, walked (or probably jogged) back to Villa Park from Sandwell, got the card and made it back to The Hawthorns at some point before the third goal went in.  Obviously this is highly unprofessional and I'm kinda disgusted by it, but as no footage seems to exist of the ball crossing the half way line is there any way of proving this rumour to be true? 

That's perfectly believable yes 

At one point we were so far up the pitch and them so deep that Hause was our furthest outfield player back on the edge of their area.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

El Ghazi has done well from the penalty spot and put in a good finish which was an awkward tap in. However he still leaves a lot to be desired. Traore was way better than him tonight. 

If think the Burnley game epitomises him. 

West Brom are rubbish a good championship team. Not a premier league team. So we did what should be expected of us. Traore needs to play well against a good prem teams, to convince me. Tbh though both El Ghazi and Traore look more like back up level quality to me. El Ghazi my not even be that good.

Man city say Hi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smg said:

The general con census is that our bench is weak, which to be fair on paper it is, however in the last two games we have had to use Hause , Elmo, Nakamba, and El Ghazi and all of them have stepped up, of course we have to develop a deeper squad but short term these guys along with others can do a job and deserve support when they are called upon and praise when they perform.

its a very good point....they have seized the opportunity to be better rated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

That's perfectly believable yes 

At one point we were so far up the pitch and them so deep that Hause was our furthest outfield player back on the edge of their area.

I thought I saw a grounds man working in our half, trying to get an early shift in.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

Marks out of ten in another Villa XG splatterfest!

Martinez 7- Like having your dad in goal.  On a calm day.  The kind of rock that can shrug off the sort of handling-outside-the-box malarkey that Michael Oakes is probably growling at somewhere right now.

Mings 7- Typical highly competent quarterbacking in a game he could have played sleepwalking.  Silly yellow highlights the sloppy discipline our players too frequently display.

Hause 8- Hause eats these guys up for dinner every meal he sits.  And comes back for seconds.

Cash 7- Endless energy is always an asset.  Always present.  Always lively.  Would expect to see more decisive final third work from a former midfielder.

Targett 8- Keen link up work with Grealish.  A constant and consistent stretcher of the play.  Could work on the final ball, but he's there, dependably, much of the time.

Luiz 9- Classy, composed, highly intelligent.  Seemed to barely break a sweat such are his smarts.  And that's with some lung-busting covering.  Controlled the game.

McGinn 7- Robust fortitude from our thick set Duracell Rhino.  Quite sweaty.  Lungs thumping.

Traore 9- Outstanding!  Was wavering between 'cult hero' status and 'boy, there's a player in there' throughout the game, but clinched it with the sweet finish.  Smooth Jazz snooker.  Constantly made things happen, committed, giddy feet, and only the slightest chance of looking ridiculous whenever he's on the ball.

Grealish 8- Average Grealish is still our humming heartbeat.  Good to see a real drive until the final whistle.

El Ghazi 8- Embodied how an all round greater confidence in our players elevates the fluidity and conviction of our game.  He may not be the swashbuckler he promises to be, but he's a proficient swordsman with the occasional telling strike.  Happy for him.

Watkins 6- Unfairly seen as anonymous by some, Watkins persistently does the little 'False 9' things well.  But sometimes this can seem all he does, his careful, occasionally twinkling feet never quite seeming like they're putting in the shift they could.

Dafuq???

Â