Ratings & Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/12/20 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

If that's offside I'm a llama 

The continuing, and confounding, mysteries of blurryland!

Has there been a precise nailing down of how accurate and 'scientific' these lines actually are?  Like, what are their properties?  Or is it just instructional MS Paint scrawls?  I mean, those seemingly different sized vertical dots don't interfere with the measurements right?  Right?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, smg said:

Having read through these comments I don’t understand the criticism aimed at the manager for not making substitutions, after 80 minutes we were only one goal ahead surely change is dangerous? Then we score a second with 6 minutes left, seriously what’s the point ?  the cold stiff subs are more likely to get injured than those already on the pitch. It seems to be trendy to criticise the manager for not making substitutions after last season but it’s no longer necessary he really does know what he’s doing.

Well it's reminiscent of the mon days. 

He would play the same team every week and we would be out of gas in the last part of the season. 

Great performance, could have been 5 or 6. Grealish driving forward (no pun intended), Traore creates one and scores a blinder. 

Dont think Big Sam can save them, they look awful but don't really care much about that. 

El Ghazi is taking his chance, playing well and scoring a few goals. Im sure he called them Brighton in interview after.

Livermores was deffo a red, Hause was lucky to get a yellow, ive seen reds for those before. VAR is spoiling it for me, millimetres is not clear and obvious. Even Walton says Clear and Obvious several times when talking about the red card. Its chalking off too many good goals.

To end with a positive, Villa are looking dangerous. We are playing attacking football even when 2 or 3 up. I'm loving it. 

1 hour ago, bose said:

Excellent three points. Happy for El Ghazi, shows that every player counts.

Ridiculous VAR call once again for Watkins, I've actually stopped celebrating goals right away which is sad.

Ye it is a shame isnt it. I celebrated the traore goal and el Ghazi penalty but not el Ghazis first or Watkins. 

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He would play the same team every week and we would be out of gas in the last part of the season. 

Keep being trendy we have moved on from the Mon days and have a far more capable management team.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Great performance, could have been 5 or 6. Grealish driving forward (no pun intended), Traore creates one and scores a blinder. 

Dont think Big Sam can save them, they look awful but don't really care much about that. 

El Ghazi is taking his chance, playing well and scoring a few goals. Im sure he called them Brighton in interview after.

Livermores was deffo a red, Hause was lucky to get a yellow, ive seen reds for those before. VAR is spoiling it for me, millimetres is not clear and obvious. Even Walton says Clear and Obvious several times when talking about the red card. Its chalking off too many good goals.

To end with a positive, Villa are looking dangerous. We are playing attacking football even when 2 or 3 up. I'm loving it. 

Having seen videos of Jack driving forwards and backwards this week, he's definitely more skilled at forwards. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Hause’s was never a red. It was clumsy and a yellow, but no danger, or malice, so just a yellow. 

The problem for the Hause challenge was the it was looked at in relation to what had happened with Livermore, minutes earlier. Hause one is always just a yellow.

El Ghazi has done well from the penalty spot and put in a good finish which was an awkward tap in. However he still leaves a lot to be desired. Traore was way better than him tonight. 

If think the Burnley game epitomises him. 

West Brom are rubbish a good championship team. Not a premier league team. So we did what should be expected of us. Traore needs to play well against a good prem teams, to convince me. Tbh though both El Ghazi and Traore look more like back up level quality to me. El Ghazi my not even be that good.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Most teams play the same team every week barring injuries and suspensions

Traore MOTM. El Ghazi, Grealish, McGinn, Luiz, Cash all excellent as well. Could’ve been 6 or 7. Again. Can’t remember us having two such dominant displays back to back! Felt for Watkins, worked his socks off all night and has had yet another millimetre offside call.

Dean’s target for 2021: somehow convince Anwar he’s playing at the Hawthorns every game.

30 minutes ago, Shomin Geki said:

The continuing, and confounding, mysteries of blurryland!

Has there been a precise nailing down of how accurate and 'scientific' these lines actually are?  Like, what are their properties?  Or is it just instructional MS Paint scrawls?  I mean, those seemingly different sized vertical dots don't interfere with the measurements right?  Right?

Yes, one was posted on VT a few weeks ago somewhere. What we see in these images (the blurry thick lines) isn't necessarily the actual lines used to decide the result, they are drawn like this to make it easier for viewers to see. There is quite a lot of analysis that goes into these decisions apparently, and they actually are more accurate than we generally believe them to be.

Having said that... I still don't get how they came to the decision that Ollie was offside with the Albion defender's arm sticking out like that because it just doesn't look offside to me.

• Thanks 1

The offside call was a joke even by the existing pedantic standards

Traore turned in the performance he's occasionally threatened to. Fantastically casual finish and his Burkina Faso wristbands are flashy as hell. I can see the impact to Grealish's own direct output of not playing on the left, but when he's in the middle there are more players able to exchange the ball with him, and Traore profits from that

That was one of the least stressful wins of the season. Nice to see El Ghazi in productive form and enjoying himself after getting an unexpected run in the team

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I think McGinn was great and have him MOTM. 

He was everywhere, winning balls, intercepting, playing smart passes and doing his usual turns.

He was the fuel to fire Traore and AEG.

*Please get rid of Grealish from the vote, he was by far the best but it's just pointless picking him every week

Glad someone else thought the same. McGinn was just sensational

• Like 2

Â