January Transfers 2021

villa4europe

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I understand where you are coming from (touch wood) but it's what teams that do well have to do to achieve as high a place in the league as possible they cover as many bases as possible. Even barring injuries I'd rather bring Josh King on than KD. 

I know Traore is an option at CF but he hasn't got 90 minutes in him usually hanging out after an hour and he's our best RW (by far) so would rather he played there.

Just feel we are injury away from finishing 12th rather 8th.

Possibly but he could have ended up not playing at all and commanding a big wage,  we loaned/sold Sammata to balance the books and get a wage off the books bringing King at £5m and  a 100k wage isn’t viable 

35 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Possibly but he could have ended up not playing at all and commanding a big wage,  we loaned/sold Sammata to balance the books and get a wage off the books bringing King at £5m and  a 100k wage isn’t viable 

Very viable if you are pushing to finish top 6! 

Sammata was a panic buy that was hoped would prove good unfortunately it didn't work out.

King to Everton is not a panic buy but part of Ancelotti's push for top 6 and is not expected to lead the attack and won't cost as much! He's there to offer options during games.

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Sammata was a panic buy that was hoped would prove good unfortunately it didn't work out.

King to Everton is not a panic buy but part of Ancelotti's push for top 6 and is not expected to lead the attack and won't cost as much! He's there to offer options during games.

They are a couple seasons ahead of us. They can afford to have £100k/w players as bit part players and backup, we can't yet.

Short term for this season he'd been a nice option perhaps and I'm not sure if Everton is committed to sign him after his contract is up. Would not surprise we if they are and if so then its a no from me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

They are a couple seasons ahead of us. They can afford to have £100k/w players as bit part players and backup, we can't yet.

Short term for this season he'd been a nice option perhaps and I'm not sure if Everton is committed to sign him after his contract is up. Would not surprise we if they are and if so then its a no from me.

I agree they are at least a couple of seasons ahead of us, and not saying we should have signed him more it's what teams with ambition to break into the top 6 do and shows the fans they have that ambition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

I agree they are at least a couple of seasons ahead of us, and not saying we should have signed him more it's what teams with ambition to break into the top 6 do and shows the fans they have that ambition.

I think we have that ambition but not necessarily the pressure to do it right now 

As others have said king for £5m and £100k a week right now isn't us, signing him permanently really isn't us

Obviously no way of knowing but I think we would be planning our big push for Europe around the academy that we have and grealishs contract, which would give us around 3 years of natural steady progress before we start making noise about top 6 and top 4, players like King would have a knock effect further down the line, I think we need to be really careful with our academy and the expectation of who will come through, sanson on a 5 year deal what impact does that have on Ramsey and chuck for example, with that in mind I think we might have a couple of quiet windows and even dip a little in preparation for the long term, the other thread about next level and people saying we need to sign 5+ players of better quality in each position, I honestly don't think we will, I think it'll go down to 1 or 2 very select (maybe expensive) players, it won't be bodies 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think we have that ambition but not necessarily the pressure to do it right now 

As others have said king for £5m and £100k a week right now isn't us, signing him permanently really isn't us

Obviously no way of knowing but I think we would be planning our big push for Europe around the academy that we have and grealishs contract, which would give us around 3 years of natural steady progress before we start making noise about top 6 and top 4, players like King would have a knock effect further down the line, I think we need to be really careful with our academy and the expectation of who will come through, sanson on a 5 year deal what impact does that have on Ramsey and chuck for example, with that in mind I think we might have a couple of quiet windows and even dip a little in preparation for the long term, the other thread about next level and people saying we need to sign 5+ players of better quality in each position, I honestly don't think we will, I think it'll go down to 1 or 2 very select (maybe expensive) players, it won't be bodies 

I think you are right in the timescales before we can break into the top 6, but we'd be crazy to bank in academy players coming through in any numbers tbh, I doubt we'll see more than a couple (if that) of the current academy players come and be regular first team starters. I do think we will look to young emerging talent though alongside as you say a couple of select expensive players.

Yeah I agree that from any kind of crop we'll be lucky if 3 of them make it

RB will be interesting in the summer, cash undisputed first choice, guilbert comes back from loan, elmo out of contact? Kesler is one of those who looks like he could step up but maybe not yet, so do we just try and loan some cover for a year, stick with guilbert?

I don't see us going out and buying a £10m back up RB on £40k a week for 5 years, it doesn't fit 

7 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Having a backup player on the same wage as Jack? Arguably the best attacking player in the league,  pointless stockpiling players

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Having a backup player on the same wage as Jack? Arguably the best attacking player in the league,  pointless stockpiling players

But it's not for Everton as they are pushing for top 6 we aren't yet, as for wages it's what you have to do if you want to get to play Champions League football  it doesn't come cheap unfortunately. It's not stockpiling it's making options available during games they have bought him in for 6 months. I'll trust Ancelotti on this one.

Edited by zab6359

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

But it's not for Everton as they are pushing for top 6 we aren't yet, as for wages it's what you have to do if you want to get to play Champions League football  it doesn't come cheap unfortunately. It's not stockpiling it's making options available during games they have bought him in for 6 months. I'll trust Ancelotti on this one.

He’s a decent player but its a bit Heskey Harewood ish for me ,  money will be better spent int the summer and I don’t doubt our ambition and trust the ceo, dof , Smith and the scouting team on this one  

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

He’s a decent player but its a bit Heskey Harewood ish for me ,  money will be better spent int the summer and I don’t doubt our ambition and trust the ceo, dof , Smith and the scouting team on this one  

I don't think he was even on our radar (or any other striker for that matter) in this window, not saying we missed out or should have been in for him we aren't at Everton's level yet but if the day comes we are knocking on the door of playing Europa/CL football it's the type of business you have to bite the bullet and take a chance on at times and Everton clearly fancy there chances this season.

• 1 month later...
Â