Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

Won’t be happy unless this is three points. We really should be near the top with performances, luck and some silly. Mistakes.

whilst you can say that about any side the mess of Brighton and the spurred chances at Burnely are 5 points lost. 

we need to be on 21 points after this game no question about it 

I can guarantee one thing. And that is inside 10 mins Livermore is going right through Jack in the hope he can do it with no booking. They'll take turns then.

These have been the worst team in the league, easily. Forget Sheff U, Newcastle, Fulham. These have been the worst.

I would very much like to win. If we lead at HT, we will. Get at them early.

I'd play Cash RW, so sick of underperforming wingers. I'd probably bring Konsa back in as we're going to have so much ball but wouldn't mind him going RB and leaving Hause in for his booming headers away.

I just had a quick check on their forum (being nosey, as you do) and one Boggy said: "I believe we should get someone to man mark Grealish, he is their only threat!" The guy must be trolling surely. Of course Jack's our best player by some distance but that's because he's phenomenal. Barkley (if he's fit, I know), Luiz, McGinn, Watkins all walk into their team from a midfield/attacking sense, our back five would I think all start for them too, a combined 11 would have very few if any Albion players in let's be honest. Even some of our squad players would add something to their team. Diangana and Gallagher look decent talents to be fair, but their first 11 really is quite poor for this level. I think that particular poster is confusing this Villa team with last season's one when the reality is we've improved a fair bit. 

It's like when the bluenoses talk about Jack being a big fish in a little pond (check out Small Heath Alliance, they're obsessed). I just laugh because to them we're a humongous pond, if we're a little pond they shouldn't even exist as a football club, they talk like they're Bayern or Real FFS 😂

Anyway, back to the game. They are at home and you'd like to think they won't sit back all game. Hopefully the players will be angry about the Burnley result and be determined to win this game. We've allowed so many games we deserved to win slip from our grasp this season, I hope tomorrow we don't make the same mistake again and the ref and officials don't let us down again. It's important we get some wins before a difficult few games at the end of the month and in January.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 08:55, blunther said:

Be an interesting team to pick. It's Allardyce so do we leave Hause in for aerial dominance even if Konsa is fit? Same with Elmo, he's good in the air and didn't really put a foot wrong yesterday, do we give Catty Mash a nice long break so he's raring to go on Boxing Day? Marv didn't really do anything wrong but Luiz just brings more going forward so he's back in. Barkley starts if he's fit and could make the difference, and it'd be Traore making room for him for me. Barkley can have an hour and Traore the last 30 since Barkley might struggle with the 90 coming straight back in. 

Were not going to win every match and I thought four points would be a solid haul from these two games. Need the win now to make that happen. 

I too see the merit in shoring up the aerial threat, particularly at the back post, where we can be vulnerable.

It will be much like the Burnley game, very scrappy......Gallagher and Sawyers are quite industrious too in midfield and Livermore is a unit.

It will be a tough game....we need to be clinical when we have our moments to dull their enthusiasm to compete.

14 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Hate playing teams that have just got a new manager.

Its all in the mind....things like that don't win games....it what we do in the match that counts.

If we compete, like we did against Burnley, but, up the finishing, we will be ok....we need to be more clinical, first to the ball, good touch and look for space off the ball, some decent running and we will be ok.

Its a game we can win....but as we have shown, if we don't apply oursleves, can just as easily lose.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've got a feeling we might just take these apart.

I'm going for a 5-1 Villa win.

I’ve got a funny feeling we will too, the frustration of Thursday night, the setting up of a new system under Fat Sam, and their defence being quite leaky already... I’m rarely right about these things though and my optimism usually swings wildly to pessimism and then back again every hour or so before kick off!