Our rivals

turvontour

Wolves will be our main rivals. I can't pretend to be a local who knows the atmosphere in derbies, but what I know is certain years of rivalry can revive a derby. We've been couple of years with WBA while we're mainly playing for survival (while WBA playing for midtable) but yet it turned out to build a rivalry. Us competing with Wolves down there built up a rivalry. Last season there was a big difference. Now it's getting tighter. Give it two to three seasons around each other and everyone will consider that game. I don't see a problem with that. Actually it's much better to care about Wolves or even Leicester than looking down and looking at what sha does. It always been Forest and Derby, but if one of them been around Leicester for the last couple of years, I don't think any of them will care about the other more than Leicester. It's also about generations, those who watched only WBA games, will consider it the most. Let's see we don't play sha for 10 seasons, what do you think those who start watching Villa nowadays will feel?

All will depend in what WBA will do, but I don't think they have a project that will match Wolves or Villa, that if don't go down this season. I think it's better for Villa and Wolves to look at each other as rivals than looking down to find derbies there.

Man City and Liverpool were never rivals, now you'd think they hate each other more than Utd or Everton because of the circumstances which makes a Liverpool fan support Everton against Man City or City fan cheering for Man Utd against Liverpool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Man City and Liverpool were never rivals, now you'd think they hate each other more than Utd

Not a chance of that happening. Ever. 

Agree with much of your post but Liverpool and Manchester City will always, always hate Manchester United more than anyone else. Including each other.

• Like 2

If we didnt lose that enklemen game like we did. And have those unwashed losers run on pitch and one assault enkleman. And then go and lose at villa park with two players sent off the blose rivalry never would have been as fierce as it is today.

We never really cared about them but we kept  failing to beat them until we went to the sty under o leary and won.

I think we have rivalries  now with leeds and to some extent newcastle outside of brum 

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Not a chance of that happening. Ever. 

Agree with much of your post but Liverpool and Manchester City will always, always hate Manchester United more than anyone else. Including each other.

Also their is a big hatred with arsenal and United 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we didnt lose that enklemen game like we did. And have those unwashed losers run on pitch and one assault enkleman. And then go and lose at villa park with two players sent off the blose rivalry never would have been as fierce as it is today.

We never really cared about them but we kept  failing to beat them until we went to the sty under o leary and won.

I think we have rivalries  now with leeds and to some extent newcastle outside of brum 

Not so sure about this, Blues has always been tasty shall we say from as far as I can remember, early mid 70's and very nasty early mid 80's  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turvontour said:

Personally I'd say it's a bit of a stretch calling Wolves a local derby, particularly given that we have Blues and West Brom much closer. It's not like saints Pompey or Cardiff swansea where theyre a fair distance apart, but then theres little no one else close to either of them.

This is a fair point I guess, but its still only around 15 miles from Brum to Wolverhampton, so is very much in the local vicinity. Added to that, while you don't really find Wolves fans where I'm from, there are definitely places in the Black Country and Staffordshire that both clubs draw significant support from (Walsall, Cannock etc.)

For me I'll never feel the same intensity of feeling towards any club beyond Blues + WBA. Do you mind me asking if you're local to the West Mids? It would be interesting to see if people's views are different if they don't have fans of other local clubs in amongst their friends/family 

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also their is a big hatred with arsenal and United 

I think thats died down now, was a competitive rivalry fuelled by the managers and top players

Now its like 2 bald guys fighting over a comb

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

This is a fair point I guess, but its still only around 15 miles from Brum to Wolverhampton, so is very much in the local vicinity. Added to that, while you don't really find Wolves fans where I'm from, there are definitely places in the Black Country and Staffordshire that both clubs draw significant support from (Walsall, Cannock etc.)

For me I'll never feel the same intensity of feeling towards any club beyond Blues + WBA. Do you mind me asking if you're local to the West Mids? It would be interesting to see if people's views are different if they don't have fans of other local clubs in amongst their friends/family 

I've always been Solihull and south Birmingham, so it was only really Villa and blues growing up, with a few west brom, man u, arsenal and liverpool. The wolves match to me is midway between the west Brom game, and a match against leicester, derby or forest, which are still referred to by the media as midlands derbys despite the distance. 

If blues or west brom didnt exist, the wolves game would be the big one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is no rivalry with Leeds whatsoever from a Villa point of view, it’s all in the heads of Leeds fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me, Blues are our only rival/derby.  

All other teams I dislike for various other reasons but don’t see any of them as a rival or a derby despite what media or others try to categorise them as.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think thats died down now, was a competitive rivalry fuelled by the managers and top players

Now its like 2 bald guys fighting over a comb

Where i live its more of a rivalry than liverpool united. London has a lot of manure mancs. It might be different in Manchester  but here its pure hate like us and blose

I like to see all Midlands clubs do well..

Obviously, I want to see Villa win local derbies... and with a derby comes a rivalry of sorts...

There is only one club I truly hate, and thats Spurs...

I hate their chairman, I hate their fans, I hate their self-pitying "why doesnt everyone want to see us do well" Liverpool--of-London thing they have going on...

I'd love to see every Midlands team in the Premier League... Blues, Coventry, West Brom, Walsall, Tamworth, Kidderminster Harriers... The lot...

But Spurs can **** off!

Edited by DJ_Villain
Got distracted and didnt complete the sentence I was typing
  • Confused 2
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I agree... but unless we get a lucky draw in the cup, we only get that when we are in the same division...

and its fun to see them get relegated every couple of seasons!

It has to be one of the most intense derby’s in football , think of all the mad iconic things that have happened from Dublin head-butting Savage to Gary Cahill  overhead kick, all of Gabby’s goals but his final goal mostly having been out of the team for the best part of a year only for a fat out of shape Gabby to come back and haunt them in final minutes of the game,  Jack getting punched in the back of the head and scoring the winner, and Encklemans disaster .

For me our rivals are Leicester and Wolves, SHA aren't really any of our concern.

It's weird that practically all through my life (42 years) i've known Villa to be top dogs in the Midlands; I guess we are now trying to claw back some respect.

With the money both Leicester and Wolves have spent over the last few years if we can compete with them this season we will be doing very well.

Wolves biggest signings - 

Raúl Jiménez - £34 million

Nélson Semedo - £27 million

Fábio Silva - £36 million

Leicester biggest signings - 

Ayoze Pérez - £30 million

Youri Tielemans - £40 million

Timothy Castagne - £20 million

Wesley Fofana - £31.5 million

Our aim this season must be top half, imagine if we could sign a gem in January to ease the burden on Grealish or steady the midfield then who knows?

I'd imagine if we manage a top half finish then next season we should be looking at some big money signings to upgrade the first team.

Â