Gérard Houllier

villa4europe

A great shame, he came here at a difficult time and looked capable of putting in place some good foundations before his health problems set in. He leaves a fantastic record of achievement in the game and always seemed a likeable character.

RIP

• Like 1

Sad to hear, it's a shame health issues plagued his career so much, as far back as almost 20 years which is crazy to think. Not that it held him back mind, his reputation in France alone speaks for itself, he did some phenomenal work and in retrospect wasn't too shabby a Villa manager either. RIP.

52 minutes ago, Rodders said:

There were times when it looked very promising, with some of the youngsters as I recall. I think it was a 2-2 draw with Man united when the likes of Albrighton were here and showed encouraging signs.

That's right, 2 up with 10 to go, finished 2-2. Albrighton, Hogg, Bannan, Lichaj, Herd and Fonz all played in the match. 

As I recall, Gary McAllister was actually in charge for that last day of the season win against Liverpool? I have really fond memories of that period around the time Houllier was in charge, I'd moved my season ticket which initially felt a bit like moving to a new school, but ultimately was a great decision. Some cracking away days too, wins at Wigan and Arsenal in particular I remember well. Others not so much, THAT blues league cup quarter final and a disgusting 2-3 defeat at Bolton (Webcam missed a pen at 2-1 and Villa smashed up the train on the way back to Manchester). 

• Like 1

A class act and a gentleman. Ahead of his time with his footballing philosophy. Would have turned us into the success that MON threatened to but failed. He inherited a mess from that man and made a decent job of his one season but he needed to be here long term for us to really see what he had up his sleeve. He was a big believer in giving young players the chance and would no doubt have developed many good young players for us. But above all that, he was a really nice and intelligent man.

• Like 2

I think we would have been a much stronger force for those years after he left if he hadn’t had to quit due to ill health.

we were actually playing some good football and trying to be much quicker in attack and he did bring some youngsters through or at least give them more game time. 

For me the big dip towards failure happened after he left. Definite spiral downwards 

Sadly ill-health cut short his tenure at Villa Park. It would have been interesting to see what he could have achieved given time. It may have prevented much of the pain over the last ten years.

Always came across as a gentleman and there aren't too many of those in football management.

RIP.

RIP Gerard.

Tried to turn us into a modern day football side after we'd hit the glass ceiling under O'Neill. Sadly, health issues cut that short - and a couple of overrated centre backs didn't help your tenure here either.

A true scholar of the game. He will be missed.

• Like 4

Â