Gérard Houllier

villa4europe

Christ, this bloody year. Wonder if it was something to do with his ticker as those issues had plagued him for a while. Genuinely one of the warmest blokes in football and a real shame he couldn’t have carried on at Villa. Rest in Peace Mr Houllier. Heaven has gained a true Gentleman. 

• Like 1

There were times when it looked very promising, with some of the youngsters as I recall. I think it was a 2-2 draw with Man united when the likes of Albrighton were here and showed encouraging signs. The 9th finish was a bit of a funny one as we spent most of the season around about 14th oe 15th until those two end of season wins, but nevertheless I always wonder how we'd have done had his health remained and he'd stayed with us the following season. 

I know he annoyed people with the liverpool stuff, but I really couldn't be arsed about that at all. RIP. 

• Like 2

I remember i was excited when we signed Makoun.

Was a great player for me at the time on Football Manager :D shame it didn't work out for him at Villa.

I do really wonder what could have been had Houllier not become ill. Anyways rest in peace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Right manager at the wrong time, came with some big transformative ideas. It’s a shame his health cut short his tenure here. 

Terribly sad news. Rest in peace Gerard. 

thats my thoughts too, i'll be honest and say at the time i didn't like him, then came the pires stuff which pissed me off, the anfield stuff did a little but i always thought it was blown out of proportion, id expect the opinion on him to split the fanbase and probably draw out our idiots on social media (again...)

hindsight has changed my opinion of him and MON, houllier for the better MON for the worse, it showed a complete lack of understanding from our owner and whoever it was at the time who ran the show for him, we went from a counter attacking quick manager to a get the ball down and play manager whilst at the same time losing our best players and a growing anger inside the fanbase that we'd **** up our opportunity, he didn't really have a chance, yet i think him leaving us is maybe as big as MON leaving us, houllier could have sorted us out and more importantly brought through and kept more of that nextgen team together

you look at the cycle of shit managers and chancers that we got through and at the time i would have put him in there too but now i wouldn't, he's arguably the best manager we had for 20 years but we were nowhere near the set up that he would have needed to show it

• Like 4

Sad news and he has always seemed a nice guy in interviews. 

As for his time here its hard to judge as just one window but i think he tried change thinks too quickly in mid-season. He fell out with senior players as well but we might never know who was on that infamous transfer list the following summer with players like Cabaye maybe even Hazard 

• Like 1

Condolences to his family and friends. Obviously will be best remembered at his time at Liverpool where he stopped the post Hillsborough rot and ended the boot room era.

Some former players rave about his management, and other less so. It was a shame at Villa that just when it looked liked he was getting his methods across he had to leave because of the heart problems. It might have been a different story in the years after if he just moved upstairs in a DOF role.

• Like 1

Â