Midweek Football 7/10 December

andykeenan

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

It's definitely offensive. People seem to forget that these people are at work. Would you not be shocked if your boss lazily referred to an employee as 'black guy'?

Not really the same, I expect my boss to know my name :)

Using distinctive characteristics to identify someone isn't necessarily offensive. Singling someone out as black definitely has connotations to be avoided, though, much more so than "the tall one", or "the bald one". A big problem is it's a global game, but that kind of interpretation is far from global. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's definitely offensive. People seem to forget that these people are at work. Would you not be shocked if your boss lazily referred to an employee as 'black guy'?

I go back and forth with it. Identifying someone by their race is not something you immediately take offence to. You need a little more context. 

If someone called me african american or black Im not going to immediately take offence. Call me colored or Negro, that's a different story.  Maybe Demba Ba has a history with that referee crew?

Just now, Davkaus said:

Using distinctive characteristics to identify someone isn't necessarily offensive. Singling someone out as black definitely has connotations to be avoided, though, much more so than "the tall one", or "the bald one". A big problem is it's a global game, but that kind of interpretation is far from global. 

The issue seems to be, he hasn't been applying these "descriptions" across the board. 

Not only that, but the term he used to say black can be construed as offensive. Very poor choice of words.

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

I go back and forth with it. Identifying someone by their race is not something you immediately take offence to. You need a little more context. 

If someone called me african american or black Im not going to immediately take offence. Call me colored or Negro, that's a different story.  Maybe Demba Ba has a history with that referee crew?

The 4th official said negro by the way.

His excuse is that it's how he says it in Romanian, which I guess might track as the referee is Romanian too.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

That's why they put numbers on the back of their shirts, which is what referees in most sports use to identify players. If he was talking about the assistant, referring to him as 'the assistant/coach' would be sufficient.

I don't think describing someone as black is offensive. I actually think it would be pretty shitty to identify someone as bald as an official too!

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The 4th official said negro by the way.

His excuse is that it's how he says it in Romanian, which I guess might track as the referee is Romanian too.

Yeah, definitely one of those things you have to avoid. Especially if their is a language barrier involved. 

I think one thing we can agree on is that regardless of the intent of the ref, and regardless of the cultural norms of the country he's from, that referees that work across countries in international competitions should work to a standard of inclusive language.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove they really are a shithead, so I'm inclined to take people's word for it that referring to people as "black guy" is just an ok thing to do in Romania (not exactly known for it's progressiveness though, is it), but for refs to appear in UEFA and FIFA endorsed competitions, they should really have a bit of training of cultural norms in any countries they work in, tbh. When a comment intended to be completely harmless causes an international incident and an abandoned game, it's time for the associations to ensure they know what is and is not acceptable to a global audience.

• Like 2

He could have just pointed and said «that guy». Is he a massive racist? Probably not. Is he an idiot who should have a good think and a lesson in communication before he referees a game of football again? Yeah. Definitely. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

3-0 to Juve now, another pen for Ronaldo.

Barcelona look a shadow of their former selves.

Time to reset and rebuild. Write this season and the next off while you cut wages and develop younger talent. They won’t win much for a couple of years, but they have to do get rid of expensive, old underperformers, no matter have much their names are enshrined in club history.  

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

Time to reset and rebuild. Write this season and the next off while you cut wages and develop younger talent. They won’t win much for a couple of years, but they have to do get rid of expensive, old underperformers, no matter have much their names are enshrined in club history.  

problem is they dont money for a rebuild, pretty sure the league have put a restriction on them that they have sell to buy. They only got about 10 million for Suarez, Rakitic and Vidal and are covering a large portion of Rakitic wages and paid Suarez off a lot of his remaining contract

Just now, Zatman said:

problem is they dont money for a rebuild, pretty sure the league have put a restriction on them that they have sell to buy. They only got about 10 million for Suarez, Rakitic and Vidal and are covering a large portion of Rakitic wages and paid Suarez off a lot of his remaining contract

They should try and get something for Messi in January at least.

Â