Unread Content button causing "This community is temporarily unavailable"

darrenm

Question

On both desktop (windows 10, Chrome 86.0.4240) and Android Pixel 4 with Chrome browser, the Unread Content button somtimes causes this

image.png.c2f44af5d0d936c691811a1f9d23482e.png

When it does work, the page is quite slow to load (20-30 seconds)

Very occasionally, it's instant. Which is how it used to be seemingly until the recent upgrade / reinstall where the indexes were being rebuilt.

It looks like the indexes aren't working most of the time and it's possibly relying on SQL searches.

Apologies if I've missed an announcement or discussion that covers this.

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

On both desktop (windows 10, Chrome 86.0.4240) and Android Pixel 4 with Chrome browser, the Unread Content button somtimes causes this

image.png.c2f44af5d0d936c691811a1f9d23482e.png

When it does work, the page is quite slow to load (20-30 seconds)

Very occasionally, it's instant. Which is how it used to be seemingly until the recent upgrade / reinstall where the indexes were being rebuilt.

It looks like the indexes aren't working most of the time and it's possibly relying on SQL searches.

Apologies if I've missed an announcement or discussion that covers this.

By "recent upgrade" do you mean the one in September?

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Can anyone else reply if they are seeing this behaviour.

I also had the error page yesterday when using the next unread topic buttonon Win 10 (2004) using Chrome (87.0.4280.66); though it was just after the end of the game, so I had internally chalked it up to a VAR-induced meltdown of the rating and reactions thread / other football section.  Though I was also getting the error at the time after posting a reply on the tech room sub forum.

Edit should also mention I didn't bother clearing my cache at the time (again, just presumed it was a temporary thing) and it's been fine since on the same PC since.

Edited by CardiffGreens
  • Thanks 1

I've cleared my cache (on both desktop and mobile) but because it's so variable it's difficult to say if it's made a difference or not.

I haven't had the gateway timeout error since but sometimes it is still taking a while to load unread content. I'll see how it goes and report back.

• Thanks 1
Â