VT Movies of the Year 2020

Designer1

The first thing to say is it was much harder than normal to find out what was actually released in 2020, between the disappearance of the website that used to list releases by week, and the increasing shift to Netflix, Amazon and other services. I'm going to need to start keeping a list.

My top 10, in reverse order:

10) Queen & Slim

9) The Personal History of David Copperfield

8 ) The Lighthouse

7) Rocks

6) Patrick

5) Portrait of a Woman on Fire

4) Dark Waters

3) Bacurau

2) Tigertail

1) Parasite

Parasite was the best film by a huge distance TBH.

There were some good films that didn't make the list, either because they were quite esoteric but still very enjoyable ('Krabi, 2562') or because they were worthy but flawed in some way ('Bad Education', 'The Trial of the Chicago 7', 'Da 5 Bloods', 'David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet'). 'Tripping with Nils Frahm' had great music but was ultimately just a concert video.

A quick word as well for 'Becoming Alluvium', a 16 minute short film directed by Thao Nguyen Phan, which is a poetic look at the Mekong River delta and the environmental impacts it is facing, through literature and animation, and was wonderful. The other good short film was 'Nimic', directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, which was a very slight story but did have some nice examples of his trademark disorientating camera angles.

• Like 2

Watching The Gentlemen just see hugh grant not play a floppy haired, bumbling middle class twit for once was good in itself, as was the film - imho anyway. 

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The first thing to say is it was much harder than normal to find out what was actually released in 2020, between the disappearance of the website that used to list releases by week, and the increasing shift to Netflix, Amazon and other services. I'm going to need to start keeping a list.

My top 10, in reverse order:

10) Queen & Slim

9) The Personal History of David Copperfield

8 ) The Lighthouse

7) Rocks

6) Patrick

5) Portrait of a Woman on Fire

4) Dark Waters

3) Bacurau

2) Tigertail

1) Parasite

Parasite was the best film by a huge distance TBH.

There were some good films that didn't make the list, either because they were quite esoteric but still very enjoyable ('Krabi, 2562') or because they were worthy but flawed in some way ('Bad Education', 'The Trial of the Chicago 7', 'Da 5 Bloods', 'David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet'). 'Tripping with Nils Frahm' had great music but was ultimately just a concert video.

A quick word as well for 'Becoming Alluvium', a 16 minute short film directed by Thao Nguyen Phan, which is a poetic look at the Mekong River delta and the environmental impacts it is facing, through literature and animation, and was wonderful. The other good short film was 'Nimic', directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, which was a very slight story but did have some nice examples of his trademark disorientating camera angles.

In that list I've seen 1, heard of 1 and have no idea what the others are. Looks like I need to check them out.

Labyrinth of Cinema, the last film of Nobuhiko Ôbayashi before his death, is one of only a few 2020 releases that I've seen, but it's also one of the best films I watched in 2019 from any year. a very surreal and colorful antiwar film that with the way it's edited, acted and the cinematography give it almost a cartoon or comic book feel, but at the same time is still very impactful emotionally.

Also liked Parasite and Krabi 2562.

Edited by useless
IMDB has Labyrinth of Cinema down as 2019, but the credits of the film itself say 2020.
  • Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 16:46, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Shout out from me for The Devil All the Time, I really enjoyed it (even if the subject matter is quite bleak). Although maybe my expectations were just so low (not a big fan of the little fella from Spiderman) that it just took me by surprise .

Yeah good film.  It is indeed bleak, and most protagonists end up dead, but it was gripping.  Spidey was ok in it.  

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Which have you seen and which have you heard of?

Heard of Parasite and seen David Copperfield

I keep meaning to watch Parasite but I know absolutely nothing about it so I'm not drawn to it. But I don't want to know anything about it so it'll be a surprise what it's actually about 🥴

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Heard of Parasite and seen David Copperfield

I keep meaning to watch Parasite but I know absolutely nothing about it so I'm not drawn to it. But I don't want to know anything about it so it'll be a surprise what it's actually about 🥴

Deffo watch Parasite - best if you know nothing about it. It is so worth it. 

• Like 1

Â