Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

I'd have been annoyed if that would have been our player and it'd been given as a penalty after review. Through gritted teeth, I agree it's not. Follow through wasn't exactly reckless or with excessive force. Guy got the ball... just. 

We were the better team overall and unlucky at times. All the same, we could have lost by more as we were sliced open on the counter two or three times, and that Grealish backheel was suicidal. In fact I was disappointed with Jack today - the talent was still there and he still played well overall, but I thought he lacked a bit of composure at times and his defensive contribution wasn't the best either. 

Trezeguet should be coming away from that game with at least a goal and while it's infuriating watching him miss chance after chance, he gave them the most problems, never gave up and was our best player today. 

A game we should be aiming to win, and one that given the performance we deserved a point from, but it wasn't to be today. Need to beat Spam now. 

• Like 2

Just now, IrishVillain said:

Can someone explain to me how 'getting some of the ball' matters, if your follow-through stops a goal-scoring opportunity?

Exactly! He wanted to shoot so tucked inside and was tripped after the ball hit the kid's leg.

**** Oliver and **** Danny" I'm going to have one decent game in five years" Welbeck. 

Oh take your chances!!!! Arrrggghhh!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Surely one of the worst decisions against Villa since Palace away last season.

A definite pen, there was contact.

Trezeguet should also have scored a couple of times.

Many players looking tired and a dodgy result was always on the cards but we still should have got something from the game.

No real standout performances apart from Trezeguet but he missed chances so my MOTM was El Ghazi just for the hell of it.

My anger levels are nearly as high as that game right now. Definitely the worst decision since, and we've had bad ones go against us.

• Like 1

I guess the "clear and obvious" overturn is out the window now then? He doesn't touch Trez he doesn't go down.

Also they really need to start stopping the clocks or at least actually adding on the wasted time. How much of those 4 minutes injury time did we actually play?

Between their player faking an injury and the resulting card for Jack and the resultant foul on him and red for Lamptey then the VAR check for the penalty. I'd be surprised if we actually got to play more than 1 minute of the 4 minutes supposedly added on.

Getting the ball isnt the rule. On that logic, an ugly 2 footed challenge that gets the ball first isnt a foul. 

Trez flicks it, it barely brushes the shin of March as he smashes Trez in the shin. It's a foul 100 times out of 100  

If march doesnt kick him, he still keeps the ball. 

Getting the ball doesnt negate everything, that's insane ignorance and our supposed top ref doesnt know the rule. 

• Like 4

I'm pissed at that defeat and not because we played bad but because again we are on the bad side of poor officiating and bad decisions.

That in my mind without a shadow of a doubts was a penalty. Trezegeut has the ball and he goes round there defender and hes brought down, yes there is a ball contact but he has also bring Trez down and denies any further movement if the ball. Then to top it off he doesnt award Villa with anything the referee doesnt but he instead awards a free kick to Brighton, what is that referee on.

I'm Shocked and last for Bloody words I am and am furious.

It did my head in at first start when they brought Barkley down and he had to go off, I felt for Ross I did and looked at one part like he was crying, he was upset.

Really good players are not allowed to play football and instead they are brought down over and over until there bodys are screwed from constant takedown.

Maupay pissing off Luiz to high end and referee let's him get away with it.

Theres enough from today that suggests from gameplay it should of been a draw and Villa were robbed. The lousy Officiating and the standards they are setting for future officials is becoming very poor.

• Like 1

Fair play to Brighton, that's the plan - come away, put a load of men behind the ball and wait for mistakes - it's worked for them  - and it will work because we make too many errors at the back. 

For us, we've created a boat load of chances and should still have got a point out of the game, but we were sloppy in too many areas - overall I thought we were the better side, but mistakes and not being clinical will cost you.

As the season goes on it'll be tough, we don't have much in the way of depth and players are going to get tired - but if we create chances like we have been we'll win games.

Well done Brighton, defended brilliantly - we need to give our heads a bit of a wobble and work on a couple of things, but if we do, we'll do fine.

Just now, Eligius said:

I thought only clear and obvious errors were overturned? Farce decision.

Thats a good point. It wasn't clear and obvious either way - Ref gives, stockley park not sure, ref needs to have another look - its not clear and obvious either IMO. For the good of the game go with the original decision.

• Like 2

Â