Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

That's what it actually feels like some of these people are saying, if the ball touches you, then you are aloud to drag a player down in anyway.

Whether that player got the ball or not Trezegeut would of got past him, he is then took down and totally wiped out and denied any further involvement on striking that ball and potentially scoring.

I really hate what they have done to these rules the officials now have powers to take a decision away, well they should make the decision till they are perfectly clear, for me this destroys the game.

What's the point of Var if that is saying it's a penalty and the official says it's also a penalty as well then the ref goes and withdraws his first claim and makes a second claim of it not being a penalty. In a cop station there would be guilt over not getting your words right and getting your story spot on and right first time, then changing it would have you looking suspect all over, it shouldn't be any different here.

My heads done in with that decision, that ref needs sorting out by his bosses.

He's probably going to get a pay rise. 

51 minutes ago, Thug said:

Not a penalty.  The guy got the ball.

We lost because we were poor.

Not taking our chances.

Yes we missed our chances, and the defensive marking was real bad, but check the rules, getting the ball does not mean its not a foul if your follow through kicks the player in the shin, or anywhere else, it was potentially dangerous play.

Had a bad feeling before the game because Brighton were due a result and when a team are looking to improve their form we usually oblige.

Another weirdly random game though, we were simultaneously lucky not to concede more and unlucky not to score more. We deserved a point and had it stolen from us, so it's hard to feel anything but shit about that.

We are a proper Jekyll and Hyde team at the moment, which is better than just being rubbish, but also really frustrating when they have shown they are capable of so much more.

• Like 4

It was a pen all day long but it felt from when they scored it wasn’t going to be our day. 

Our internationals were all a bit off it. Jack was nowhere near his usual self (and who back heels in their own penalty area?!). Mings was a liability. Traore looked good when he first came on but then seemed knackered quite quickly. The late subs looked lively when they came on but Brighton had parked the bus by that point.

A day to write off, not to get too down about. They can rest and reset.

• Like 2

As far as I see it there is contact, Trez makes the most of it and the ref buys it. Then it get's iffy.

The VAR ref asks him to watch the video and he sees that there wasn't much contact as it looked and he reverses his decision. OK.

Not sure what the rules regarding VAR is this week but it wasn't a clear or obvious error to blow for a penalty as there was contact, and the "he got the ball a bit" is not how the rules are I'm pretty sure.

I probably agree that it would have been a really soft penalty, but he called it and there wasn't IMO enough in the replay to say it was a wrong call.

And you just know that had it been Kane or Fernandes it would never been overturned.

Edited by sne

Yet again VAR ruins a football match, may as well stop football altogether as currently its rubbish as a spectacle...

On the match, ok going forward but rubbish finishing, constant fouling from Brighton and a ref that likes blowing a whistle and prob doesn't quite understand the rules.

On to the next mish mash of poor decisions

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not really. I commented on how his all round performance was very good but his finishing could have been better today. However you said it was not good enough regardless of his performance. 

So de Bruyne missing from 7 yards means Regardless of overall performance if he doesn't score it's not good enough. By your standards of course.

He played OK by Trezeguets standards as in he ran around for a bit didn't give the ball away as much as normal and ran some more, he is too wasteful, comparing it to de bruyne missing is just stupid.

1 minute ago, sne said:

The VAR ref asks him to watch the video and he sees that there wasn't much contact as it looked and he reverses his decision. OK.

Not sure what the rules regarding VAR is this week but it wasn't a clear or blatant error to blow for a penalty as there was contact, and the "he got the ball a bit" is not how the rules are I'm pretty sure.

Better yet, he actually made the old 'ball' gesture after he was shown the single angle the VAR wanted him to be shown, suggesting strongly that the amount of contact on Trez's shin was not in fact the reason he overturned his decision, which of course we must assume two officials have deemed a clear and obvious error.

Simple fact is this: we'll see that same decision not overturned before the end of the weekend.

• Like 3

Just now, holteend1982 said:

He played OK by Trezeguets standards as in he ran around for a bit didn't give the ball away as much as normal and ran some more, he is too wasteful, comparing it to de bruyne missing is just stupid.

Well if he played ok by Trezeguet standards which by consensus is not very high then he must have had a poor game.

When all is said and done, we got done for pace again, like with Leeds and Southampton. It is so easy for teams with pacy wing backs/wingers to slice through our midfield and defence. It can’t be long before all pl teams twig this and we are going to be in a lot of trouble. 

Add in a few post-international dips in performance and we were  pretty much second best today, even though Brighton are no world-beaters. Gave Martinez MOTM because his saves kept us in with a shout.

Edited by briny_ear

On 21/11/2020 at 16:59, PieFacE said:

Thought he got enough of the ball for that not to be a pen. Though, seen softer pens given.

So what about when rice got the ball before KDB in the England game, but he still conceded a free kick.....what about when follow through's are given as fouls despite touching the ball first......the game is in danger of disappearing up its own forensic arsehole.

if that had been at the other end , no way would I have expected to get away with that.

it was totally pedantic imo and a search not to give it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

So what about when rice got the ball before KDB in the England game, but he still conceded a free kick.....what about when follow through's are given as fouls despite touching the ball first......the game is in danger of disappearing up its own forensic arsehole.

if that had been at the other, no way would I have expected to get away with that.

it was totally pedantic imo and a search not to give it.

Well I don't believe that was a foul either, just like the one today.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5321465

Oh look, he got the ball. Not a foul then. Let's just ignore the two footed lunge.

5c99f343034270f5859af9ed031e67df.gif

Yep, same here. No foul as the ball touched him.

Sport Tackle GIF by Play Sports - Find & Share on GIPHY

Doesn't matter that Salah could have had his ankle broken because Kompany touched the ball.

aAKj2PI.gif

Clear contact on the ball despite him not meaning it in any way. Fair tackle then.

Do you really think what the Brighton player did was at all comparable to these situations?

No one's saying that getting the ball doesn't mean it can't be a foul(or if they are, they're dumb). The problem is whether its considered careless or reckless enough. Can you look me straight in the eye and tell me what the Brighton player did was anywhere near as careless or reckless like the two footed, studs up, out of control lunges and american football tackle you've given above?

• Like 1

Hard to take. We once again struggle after the international break. No sharpness and momentum and our key influencial players were poor. Barkley injury wasn’t ideal. 

Awful defending for their first goal and as I always say if we don’t score first we nearly always lose. 

Trezzy has a lack of ability and fluffed guilt edge chances. Works really hard but need to do better with those for sure. Just never ever fancy him to score. 

Can just about see why the pen wasn’t given as he touched the ball first but that’s a foul anywhere and anytime on the pitch. I can see both sides of this argument but with VAR being able to scrap any goals or key decisions just means you’re always at risk of getting the shit end of the stick. Disappointing but we weren’t at it today. 

Prefer us away from home. Worrying that we’ve lost our last three home games. Need to be better. Do fear for us without Barkley and feels inevitable we won’t win when we concede first. 

Gutted.

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

Not bothered about the penalty.

We didn't deserve anything for that performance.  Never looked up for it until it was too late.

Smith really struggles to motivate the team against lower league teams for some reason.

Very frustrating.

Eh? It was end to end mate. They could have scored more and we certainly could have too. Can’t understand anyone saying we didn’t deserve anything from that. We were cheated at the end from a deserved point. That was a good performance from both sides. Should have been 2-2

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

When all is said and done, we got done for pace again, like with Leeds and Southampton. It is so easy for teams with pacy wing backs/wingers to slice through our midfield and defence. It can’t be long before all pl teams twig this and we are going to be in a lot of trouble. 

Add in a few post-international dips in performance and we were  pretty much second best today, even though Brighton are no world-beaters. Gave Martinez MOTM because his saves kept us in with a shout.

I think there’s more to it. we are playing more expansive than the close of last season because we had the three wins in a row at the start of the season. 

so we’ve almost gone full circle and playing like the start of last season and trying to win every game. If our patch of loses continues I’d expect us to shit up shop for a few games as we did end of last season

Â