Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I’ve just woken up and mine is through the roof already 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Yeah, having slept on it I still feel like setting the referee on fire and laughing as he burns.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah, having slept on it I still feel like setting the referee on fire and laughing as he burns.

I’ll do a 192 check on his address, pick you up on half an hour, bring coffee and petrol 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

that first goal brighton scored tho, our closest defensive player (to our goal), was 10ft inside THEIR half.......shocking tbh.

Spot on. Cant understand why no one was in our half. Up to Dean or Jack to make some one stay back and not do what we did to Liverpool 

10 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Wow, is that right? That’s crazy bad.

Think it’s Premier League matches so stretches back into the dark days of 15/16

edit just checked back and could be wrong but other than Watford last season, the last time we won a home league match having been behind at half time was September 2013... the Weimann 3-2 vs Man City

Edited by chappy
  • Like 1

Internationals clearly a factor in this one, Brighton had two players away, Matt Ryan with AUS and a sub with Netherlands..... That was it, everyone else was at the training ground and getting rested.... Us? Two players away in South America (Martinez and Luiz who played all of Brazil's games), Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Trez, Traore, Hourihane..... Losing Barkley after two minutes.... Leaving just Cash, Konsa, Targett and Watkins as the only players with a substantial amount of time on the pitch who had any semblance of rest and match preperation, compared to the entirety of Brighton's line-up (less the GK)....

We made chances, which had me shouting "how have yo not scored that" at the tv multiple times. Any other day we would have won this at a canter, hopefully we can get a decent run now seeing as there are no internationals until March.

Don't get me started on the pen!

• Like 1

Just annoying that var felt like they had to get involved. iirc there wasn't great amounts of protest or pleas of innocence from Brighton. Which is usually pretty telling. 

I think they should introduce an nfl challenge flag system. Each manager has two chances to challenge a decision per game at which point the ref is obliged to look at video evidence of the incident. Otherwise the game flows based on the on the field refereeing.

All frustrations aside it was a cracking game to watch. End to end stuff. Though I do feel we concede an unfair amount of "worldies"

Pen or no pen, bottom line is we weren't great yesterday.  Some players were clearly jaded from internationals and we left ourselves open to the counter attack. 

Ross going off so early was a big blow and it shows what he means to this side.  I said earlier in this thread that the final 30 minutes reminded me so much of last season. Give it Grealish and hope he can create something.  We should have more about us than that.  

Just hope the 8/9 days rest does us the world of good and gets Ross fit in time for West Ham. 

19 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Pen or no pen, bottom line is we weren't great yesterday.  Some players were clearly jaded from internationals and we left ourselves open to the counter attack. 

Ross going off so early was a big blow and it shows what he means to this side.  I said earlier in this thread that the final 30 minutes reminded me so much of last season. Give it Grealish and hope he can create something.  We should have more about us than that.  

Just hope the 8/9 days rest does us the world of good and gets Ross fit in time for West Ham. 

I agree we were not great but we did more than enough to win the game comfortably.Some of the attacking play was sublime and just needed that little bit of luck. If this is a bad performance bring it on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, chappy said:

Think it’s Premier League matches so stretches back into the dark days of 15/16

edit just checked back and could be wrong but other than Watford last season, the last time we won a home league match having been behind at half time was September 2013... the Weimann 3-2 vs Man City

Cripes.

9 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

100% would have been a penalty if trez was wearing a man utd shirt.

Yeah, where’s this referee bias toward top of the table clubs? That should be us dammit. I feel like we paid for a boots meal deal, but they only let us have the lentil crisps.

I would have thought of a better analogy but i’m pretty hungry.

Edited by HKP90

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I agree we were not great but we did more than enough to win the game comfortably.Some of the attacking play was sublime and just needed that little bit of luck. If this is a bad performance bring it on

It was never a bad performance, we just weren’t great as I say.  We seemed too desperate in our approach, especially in the second half.  Far too reliant on Grealish again, which highlighted the need for Barkley to be on the pitch.

As an aside, I did think the pitch cut up quickly and didn’t look in the best of condition, especially when you think it’s had so little use. Perhaps I’m being harsh here though. 

44 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Why didnt this get hawkeye treatment. Watch wasnt working again

I don’t know if this is the angle of the image or is someone has doctored it, but I’d almost have enjoyed this being a clear goal and Hawkeye not working. It means the “yOu OnLy sTaYeD uP bEcaUsE sOmEoNe SwItChEd HaWkEyE oFf” would have been put to bed. Little poetic justice from our side too 😂

I’m probably one of the rare few who has managed to calm down. We’re still have a cracking points total all things considered and are still building. Looking forward to the West Ham game against a well rested side! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darrenm said:

If course it was a penalty. I don't even think Trezeguet went down theatrically because he seemed quite hurt and it seemed a decent whack under the shin pad. Slow motion nothing looks as bad. Even if it was debatable then Oliver overturning it as a clear and obvious error is a clear and obvious error. It's a shame because he was doing well up until then.

I thought we played pretty well but it just wouldn't go over the the line.

Their first goal was shocking defending and their second was an extremely lucky miskick from a bobble. Like against Southampton, we're conceding some very exceptional goals.

I was really frustrated with Traore. Couldn't do anything but cut inside every time and it kept stopping the attack.

Honestly, losing Barkley so early had a major impact but we still created a lot of chances even after going behind. Energy levels weren't quite the same come 60-70 minutes. I blame the international break, though we are still a much better team than last season.

Still mad about the penalty.

5 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

I don’t know if this is the angle of the image or is someone has doctored it, but I’d almost have enjoyed this being a clear goal and Hawkeye not working. It means the “yOu OnLy sTaYeD uP bEcaUsE sOmEoNe SwItChEd HaWkEyE oFf” would have been put to bed. Little poetic justice from our side too 😂

I’m probably one of the rare few who has managed to calm down. We’re still have a cracking points total all things considered and are still building. Looking forward to the West Ham game against a well rested side! 

Let’s hope Antonio gets a niggle, cos he’s quality. I can see another shootout. 4-3 Villa

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

100% would have been a penalty if trez was wearing a man utd shirt.

Same thing happened in the Man utd game, Man utd got lucky and away with it and there opposition was denied. 

What really stands out is if you listen to solskjaer he openly admits that he thought it was a penalty and in his mind it should of been given, I like his honesty.

Solskjaer then says maybe the rules are different than what he thinks they are, to me that sounds like he knows they are bullshit.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Why didnt this get hawkeye treatment. Watch wasnt working again

I kept saying to my son I'm sure that's over the line.

Â