Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

I know no one will care, but all neutrals are against us for that penalty. I tend to agree with them, trez flung himself on the ground with a slight touch. He wasn’t “cut down” or any of the like. I think it was the right call. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

It wasn’t a penalty. He got the ball and trezeguet dived after minimal contact.

Who are we to judge the depth of contact or how minimal it is....he kicked his shin, its a foul in the penalty area, its a penalty.....March put his hands to his, head just about admitting it....it was a natural reaction to devastation.

It should be the referee's job to come out at the end and explain major decisions. 

They are responsible for outcomes of mega money games, and get remunerated for such.

They have to be made accountable for decisions!

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I know no one will care, but all neutrals are against us for that penalty. I tend to agree with them, trez flung himself on the ground with a slight touch. He wasn’t “cut down” or any of the like. I think it was the right call. 

You're wrong. How can you not see he was tripped?

As frustrating as the penalty decision is, we shouldn't have put ourselves on a position where we're relying on an injury time spot kick to rescue a point at home.

As much as we've improved on last season, I'm still not 100% sure on what we can achieve this season because we're far too inconsistent. Hopefully Barkley's injury isn't too serious - we really missed something in midfield when he went off.

Edited by JoshVilla
  • Like 1

To add to my earlier post...

End of the game Brighton were playing with four Centre-halves and yet we kept playing head tennis and lumping it in the box.

Watkins had poor service today but against their tall defenders our tactics seemed really bad and quite desperate.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rodders said:

word removed ref corrupt ref

but **** dogshit defending and wank attacking play anyway

if barkley's injury is serious we're up shit creek. traore is nowhere near his level but sadly conor did **** all when he came on too. el ghazi at least looked interested. 

watkins shite. grealish the threat but was tired the last ten minutes was pitiful, just lump and hope

well done brighton, much the better side, deserved to win, we were shit. 

shooting from 30 yards means **** all, so does have pointless chances. No clinicism. 

another weekend ruined. whats the point in gettng excited. all the hard work from beating arsenal, tossed away with a "defence like that the next game. forward one space, back one space. infuriating and annoying

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, **** LEARN FROM YOUR PAST MISTAKES

We are clearly too easy to play against.....we think we can just keep out scoring teams.

They never give us the space to play our normal game, so we should have adjusted it to compensate.....we should have gone out to win 1-0, which would have required patience and composure...our play was rash and cavalier.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Spoony said:

If it had been at the other end would those neutrals have been so benevloent towards us......If that had of happened, most of our supporters would have said, but he kicked is shin, who are we to say by how much......it was a penalty mate.

lets put it this way....its created far more controvesy, not giving it, than it would have done by giving it.

Edited by TRO

1. VAR is acting outside its remit again. A “debatable decision” (barely) is a million miles from a “clear and obvious error”. There were literally no grounds for VAR to get involved. 

2. From what I could see, Michael Oliver was offered one angle – the one from behind the goal that minimised the kick on the shin – and then shown the fleeting contact with the ball rocked back and forth repeatedly. Talk about leading the witness!

3. Why did Oliver buckle immediately – pathetically – not even asking to see all the angles??

What an absolute farce all round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I'd love to see all these fouls not given, and the players retroactively punished.....but this is not where football is currently. 

I'm even fine with the change of refereeing decision if this is a new way of policing all future decisions. 

However we all know that next week the rules will revert.

11 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

1. VAR is acting outside its remit again. A “debatable decision” (barely) is a million miles from a “clear and obvious error”. There were literally no grounds for VAR to get involved. 

2. From what I could see, Michael Oliver was offered one angle – the one from behind the goal that minimised the kick on the shin – and then shown the fleeting contact with the ball rocked back and forth repeatedly. Talk about leading the witness!

3. Why did Oliver buckle immediately – pathetically – not even asking to see all the angles??

What an absolute farce all round.

Agree with all of this so much.

For me, the way forward is:

• Goal line technology
  • VAR is used ONLY for moments similar to Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland or offsides that are an absolute mile. Use it for the absolute all time refereeing howlers and nothing else. Not measuring if someone's heel is offside by a nanometre.
  • Anything else can get the **** out of our game.
Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Yep, it's amazing this has to be spelled out to some people, isn't it? HE DID NOT GET THE BALL. HE DID NOT DISPOSSES TREZEGUET. HE DID NOT MAKE A FAIR TACKLE. THE BALL HIT HIM AS HE TRIPPED TREZEGUET!

I feel like people are also wilfully ignoring this basic fact because it involves Villa.

If Trez didn't dive like a fish he would have got the pen IMO. The dive following the foul worked against him because he made it look so much worse than it was, even though it WAS a foul. Regardless it should have been given, but the theatrics worked in their favour not ours.

• Like 2

Even though we won this fixture last year and lost this year, we are clearly a much better team now.   We looked like a good team with several players who had off days and still lost only because of a couple of horrible errors, some poor finishing and some bad luck.   Last year we were lucky to win at the death despite struggling all game.

The fact that there's a lot of debate over whether it was a penalty tells you the initial call wasn't a clear and obvious error and it therefore should have stood.

We looked really good on the counter up until Brighton's 2nd goal but were let down by the end product.   Also, now that players realize we have some creativity and flair they're trying to play the cute killer ball every time.  Some times you just need to shoot.   If you get that many opportunities you're like to get one in.

I thought Traore looked pretty good initially.   His first few set pieces were great, including the one for the goal.  Overall, I'll take him on set pieces over anyone else except from a position to score directly on a free kick.

Watkins need to learn when not to try to beat two men by himself and play it back out.

Anyone else a little worried about Cash's hands?  Twice he had balls hit his hand/arm in the area that might have been given if the ball wasn't already over the end line.   Added to his hand ball against Soton, I see a tendency I don't like.

38 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

To add to my earlier post...

End of the game Brighton were playing with four Centre-halves and yet we kept playing head tennis and lumping it in the box.

Watkins had poor service today but against their tall defenders our tactics seemed really bad and quite desperate.

If they play a low block and sit everyone behind the ball it's very difficult to break down, even more-so against four giant centre-halves. That was our undoing and it's why we're losing to the likes of Brighton and Southampton after beating Arsenal and Liverpool.

Edited by AV82

1 hour ago, hippo said:

That's my thoughts. Many times it's not 100% clear on the vid replay. So we slow the game and get a 2nd opinion - doesn't mean the 2nd opinion is right.

Cracks me up when they make a ball to hand decision by showing it in slow motion VAR.  Ref "you had plenty of time to move your hand out the way".

25 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

If Trez didn't dive like a fish he would have got the pen IMO. The dive following the foul worked against him because he made it look so much worse than it was, even though it WAS a foul. Regardless it should have been given, but the theatrics worked in their favour not ours.

I'm inclined to agree. 

Masterful counter-attacking by Brighton with our defender's blunders playing perfectly into opposition hands. Once again we fall to a low block. One thing's for sure, we can't keep playing like we did today. Poor cover from our wingers and a ridiculously high line was suicide against a team like Brighton. We really need to work on our game plan when up against counter-attacking teams.

Â