The Beach Boys or The Beatles?

rjw63

Beach Boys or Beatles?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Beach Boys or Beatles?

• Beach Boys
    • Beatles

Easy....Beach Boys for me too...

Good vibrations if im not mistaken is one of the most difficult songs to covwer due to the harmonies (i may be wrong of course)

If a Beach Boys song pops onto the radio i will turn it up, if a beatles song pops on i change channel

Tough one. Both bands have released decent "Greatest Hits"-albums, but that's about it. Though I voted for Beach Boys as they were better musicians than Beatles. And I am a little annoyed with Beatles who definitely got bigger than they deserved due to be one of very few good bands at the time. Their music is to me a little easy to like, easy to get tired of. So you've got my vote, Rob. ;)

Apologies, Rob, but I have gone with the Beatles.

Not a massive preference for one or ther other - just about tipped by early memories of watching the film, Yellow Submarine, and it messing with my head hugely (which I rather like :D).

EDIT: You have inspired me to go and search out some Beach Boys stuff and give it another listen in an attempt to 'educate' myself, though, Rob. So as a small by-product of the poll, you may have achieved something more than you were after. :D

The Beatles, although only just, because every song they wrote (barring Octopus' Garden) was wonderful. For all their genius, The Beach Boys had more than the odd duffer. How anyone can get bored with the Beatles amazes me. I never tire of listening to Rubber Soul or Revolver - albums that changed music forever.

That said, seeing Brian Wilson at Glasto was the finest gig experience of my life. Don't Worry Baby and God Only Knows were just magical and gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes and those of everyone around me. I remember turning around, seeing the whole crowd singing along joyfully with the sun shining and thinking to myself 'It doesn't get any better than this.' Magical - and that was with his new band. I can only imagine what seeing the original line up would be like.

The Beatles, although only just, because every song they wrote (barring Octopus' Garden) was wonderful..

i disagree and raise you "Ob la di ob la da" (as i personally think this could have been written by black lace)

The Beatles, although only just, because every song they wrote (barring Octopus' Garden) was wonderful..

i disagree and raise you "Ob la di ob la da" (as i personally think this could have been written by black lace)

Nah, quality stuff that has given hope to barrow boys named Desmond the world over :lol:

Tough one. Both bands have released decent "Greatest Hits"-albums, but that's about it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: Well, those are my thoughts and opinions. And tbh, I stick to them. I meant what I wrote. Or perhaps you mean that they were not even decent? ;)

Tough one. Both bands have released decent "Greatest Hits"-albums, but that's about it.

:lol: Well, those are my thoughts and opinions. And tbh, I stick to them. I meant what I wrote. Or perhaps you mean that they were not even decent? ;)

You are entiltled to your opinions, of course - but The Beatles changed everything, they amount to more than just having a decent Greatest Hits album, surely???!

Fair play if thats your opinion though - out of interest who would you hold up as being one of the best bands ever?

The Beatles tried to right songs like Good Vibrations and failed, many critics have claimed this song to be the most perfect in the history of modern music.

As I said earlier, listen to 'Surf's Up' and tell me the Beatles could right something as creative and complicated.

If 'Smile' had been released originally after 'Pet Sounds' then it would've have been the greatest album ever, the bootlegs and various mixes of songs for that album proved as such. 'Heroes and Villains' is more complex and creative than anything the Beatles had done and was a result of the 'Smile' sessions. Brian Wilson had made dozens and dozens of recordings to just the slightest segment of a particular song, unfortunately his drug-taking became more important and he just gave up on finishing the concept. He found it impossible to piece together the hundred of song parts to become a total work!

As a result Brian as a creative entity ceased after this and we began to see the power battle between the experimental Carl and Dennis Wilson and the Pop shite of Al Jardine and Mike Love; the latter partnership is what really tarnishes the image of The Beach Boys to those not familar with this story and indeed with those who knew.

You are entiltled to your opinions, of course - but The Beatles changed everything, they amount to more than just having a decent Greatest Hits album, surely???!

Fair play if thats your opinion though - out of interest who would you hold up as being one of the best bands ever?

I didn't respond initially as I honestly thought he was being ironic. As for his best band, I think the avatar might give it away. Ironic really, in that they truly are a band who has released a decent greatest hits album, but that's about it ;):lol:

I didn't respond initially as I honestly thought he was being ironic. As for his best band, I think the avatar might give it away. Ironic really, in that they truly are a band who has released a decent greatest hits album, but that's about it ;):lol:

One thing. Beatles did nothing sort of changing ,music. Their music was in fact pretty mediocre. Nothing new. Softer version of the 50's rock music, and the early version of boybands. No more, no less.

About my favourites, well, that's another topic. ;) But at least they gave something to music that was new, or as sir Elton said: "When they arrived no one sounded like them, no one looked like them, had the harmonies they had. They were unique." Although of course they too were inspired by others.

Although of course they too were inspired by others.

Aye, The Beatles for a start :winkold:

Yes, but they were better at the shared aspect with the Beatles than the Beatles.

And I guess that's the number one reason I don't rate the Beatles: there was no aspect that they were exceptional in. As far as being an actual rock band, The Who, the Stones, the Yardbirds, Cream, The Doors, etc. all stomp over them (and if there's one aspect that I'd weight more highly, it's that one...). As a pop band, the Beach Boys, The Mamas and the Papas, Johnny Rivers (though a solo artist...), etc. are all somewhat ahead of the Beatles. I can't think of a single competition the Beatles would win.

Now you could argue that the fact that the Beatles were credible contenders in every competition gives them a leg up. But to quote Herman Edwards, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I... find something and be the best in it.

The Beatles were midtable in the league, and made it to the quarterfinals in all the cups. Some might call that a great season... I call it mediocre. It's all about the silverware.

Thing is with the Beatles, people just over analyse them. They made a great noise, killer tunes and got managed very well in all departments.

The Beatles Circus came to town and owned for about 5 years. You can't beat that.

Like the Who/Zep thing, this is a pretty pointless argument. Are we voting for which band we most enjoying listening to? Or which was the most influential?

I love both the Beatles and The BBs (and Zep and The Who). I rarely play the Beatles' albums because I don't need to - they're all in my head, note for note, I grew up with them. So they have become over-familiar, and to be honest I'm a little bored with them as a result.

Whereas, outside of the the big hits, the BBs records are less well-known - and I've only relatively recently acquired the full set on CD, so I'm more likely to find something fresh in them. They all have their share of duff tracks, though - Our Car Club, Carl's Big Chance, Bull Session With Big Daddy, Vegetables, A Day In The Life Of A Tree, I could go on.

The nice thing is, it isn't either/or, we can have both.

Â