The Beach Boys or The Beatles?

rjw63

Beach Boys or Beatles?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Beach Boys or Beatles?

• Beach Boys
    • Beatles

I think it's ignorance and no I don't mean that in a negative way. I simply mean that I reckon most people on here (on average) would be far less familiar with the Beach Boys discography than they would with the Beatles' discography. I voted Beatles but I freely admit it's because I know the Beatles and I don't really know anything from the Beach Boys other than the higher profile stuff that appears in 60's compilation albums.

Lennon's songwriting was inferior to McCartneys

:shock:

other way around for me , even Mc's greatest moment "Yesterday" only came to be due to Lennon's input

collectivly they complimented each other but Lennon was def the driving force

The Beach Boys released one absolutely superb album

I'm (obviously) going to disagree with that!

Surfs Up, Sunflower and Holland are very much under rated

Hmmm, interesting one. My vote just about goes to the Beatles.

To break it down, I like alot of Beatles individual songs but never loved a collective album, they always seem to have too many weak tracks amongst the gems.

With the Beach Boys though, I think Pet Sounds is a flawless album which is something that the Beatles imo never managed.

I like the Beach Boys, and I like that there was a bit of creative rivalry between them and the Beatles as it kept both bands on their toes and made for some awesome music.

BUT!!

The Beatles are without doubt the greatest group of musical artists in recorded history. No matter which category or perspective you judge from, the Beatles always come out as the best.

If you want to talk about who had the best singles, the Beatles come out on top (27, 28 if you include 'Free as a bird').

If you want to talk greatest albums, the Beatles come out on top. I dare you to find a band that has put out five albums more brilliant and influential than Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sergeant Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road.

If you want to talk about greatest pop bands, the Beatles come out on top. Listen to the early material (Please, please me up to Help!) for absolute pop perfection. To this day guitar-pop bands are trying to equal or better those records, all have failed.

If you want to talk about musical experimentation, the Beatles come out on top. Listen to 'A day in the life', 'Tomorrow never knows', 'Norwegian wood' and 'Strawberry fields' for absolutely perfect examples of how to experiment with sound and structure, while still making enjoyable songs. Radiohead eat your heart out.

Simply put, The Beatles are (imo) miles ahead of all their competition. Their musical sweep and grandeur is so immense it's almost impossible to cover it all. There is no debate as to who is the greatest band of all time, the Beatles have an iron grip on that position. Everyone else is fighting for second place.

Beach Boys 100%.

The Beatles are possibly the most overrated band in history. The Beach Boys were a better pop band. FACT! Even George Martin concedes that Sgt. Pepper was conceived as an attempt to equal Pet Sounds. The Stones and probably every other British Invasion band were better rock bands. The Beatles were nothing more than the *NSync of their day. FACT!

"The Beatles were nothing more than the N'Sync of their day. FACT!"

I'm not going to break out charts, graphs or complex algorithms to dispute this claim, but I will simply say that the Beatles actually played instruments.

I love em both but The Beatles are better by a mile. Its all the little incidentals that came with The Beatles that i love. The first band to use feedback (i feel fine), the first band to use backwards lyrics on a record (Rain B-Side to Paperback Writer) first band to use music videos for the same 2 tunes as they couldnt be arsed with promoting their records with live appearences on tv shows like Ed Sullivan anymore so sent a video instead check em both out on youtube!

How come??

he changed the arrangement or something and even helped with the lyrics as Paul was struggling on bit sof it .. when they bitchiness started in the 70's Lennon denied any knowledge of the song and said it was "All Pauls" but if you read some of the obscure Beatles publications I have then Mal Evans etc point to Lennon's input

it's often the way they worked so not that big a deal and McCartney may still have produced the same song without help

Â