VPNs

Rds1983

Looking at picking up a VPN and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on decent ones or any to avoid. 

Looking for one which is easy enough to use and where I can select different countries (including US), and with decent security features so it can be used for banking etc. 

I think Nord had a bad breach a while back but have since upped their game from the little I've seen online, anyone using them? 

I can't see a thread about VPNs but apologies if there is one. 

Nord, PIA and ExpressVPN are the most visible ones. I've tried ExpressVPN during a free month but at the time I didn't have a pressing use-case to warrant paying for one. It did what it said and worked well.

Trust is the big thing here. PIA is a US company, Nord is in Panama and ExpressVPN is in the British virgin islands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried out a few including Nord and PIA. I stuck with PIA for a couple of reasons, it generally had the best speeds, and it has enough servers that they seem to slip through certain website's VPN blacklists :)

Trust is the big thing here. PIA is a US company, Nord is in Panama and ExpressVPN is in the British virgin islands.

I think it really depends on what you're using it for. Lots of VPNs claim to "not log" and have then handed over logs. PIA is a US company, but it's one of the only VPNs I'm aware of who has been tested in court by government agencies and been proven they have no logs and can't hand anything over.

It's not outside of the realms of plausibility that the intelligences agencies have sunk their teeth in somehow, but unless you're doing some *seriously* illegal shit, that's probably not the worst thing in the world. The NSA isn't blowing their cover for trivial reasons even if they did have a way to compromise them. 

If you just want to get around geographical restrictions, most western hosted commercial VPNs are fine. If you do a bit of pirating etc, they're going to be fine. If you're planning to lead a coup against one of the governments of the 5 eyes, you should probably look in to alternate solutions, like running for president. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I tried out a few including Nord and PIA. I stuck with PIA for a couple of reasons, it generally had the best speeds, and it has enough servers that they seem to slip through certain website's VPN blacklists :)

I think it really depends on what you're using it for. Lots of VPNs claim to "not log" and have then handed over logs. PIA is a US company, but it's one of the only VPNs I'm aware of who has been tested in court by government agencies and been proven they have no logs and can't hand anything over.

It's not outside of the realms of plausibility that the intelligences agencies have sunk their teeth in somehow, but unless you're doing some *seriously* illegal shit, that's probably not the worst thing in the world. The NSA isn't blowing their cover for trivial reasons even if they did have a way to compromise them. 

If you just want to get around geographical restrictions, most western hosted commercial VPNs are fine. If you do a bit of pirating etc, they're going to be fine. If you're planning to lead a coup against one of the governments of the 5 eyes, you should probably look in to alternate solutions, like running for president. 

I was considering leading a coup against Limpid and taking over Villatalk but I'm not sure I could handle the responsibility. 

36 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Want it for fairly standard reasons you mentioned, better security for financial transactions, watching videos/football, nothing to sinister. 

The log bit is one of the concerns due to generic mistrust of companies and data collection. 

3 hours ago, villakram said:

https://www.safetydetectives.com/best-vpns/

If you want to poke around a bit more and get informed depending on your VPN use case.

Seems to give Nord a lot of greens and mainly bad reviews linked to business ethics (which appears to be paid reviews and resellers from what I can see). 

Think I'll give it a trial for a bit and see how I get on. 

I'm assuming you can get them to work on smart TVs somehow and that streaming doesn't have to be via phones/tablets etc. 

31 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm assuming you can get them to work on smart TVs somehow and that streaming doesn't have to be via phones/tablets etc. 

Set it up on your router and you don't need to worry about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 15/11/2020 at 18:35, limpid said:

Set it up on your router and you don't need to worry about that.

Finally got around to sourcing a VPN (life got in the way). How do you set it up on your router? I've gone with Nord and it seems to work via an app. 

19 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Finally got around to sourcing a VPN (life got in the way). How do you set it up on your router? I've gone with Nord and it seems to work via an app. 

Look at the support site at Nord. It will depend in your router.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I use Opra browser,it has a built in VPN that you can turn on/off.

I assume that you mean Opera.

Does it protect the traffic from other apps and the operating system? (Genuine question I've never used it.)

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes,I did mean Opera and I dont know the answer to your other questions because I thought that all VPNs were the same.

If your VPN is built in to your browser, it is almost certainly only protecting the traffic going through your browser. If it is a standalone VPN app, but supplied by Opera, then it might be protecting other things too.

Which browser is best depends on what you are trying to do or protect against.

Â