Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was randomly watching a promotion video of us just now on YT and someone on there is linking us to Morten Thorsby from Sampdoria.

Midfielder who's a regular in Serie A....mind you so was Bjarni!:lol:

Was a YouTube video a few weeks back on a player each club should buy and thats where Thorsby "link" started I think. He conceded a penalty tonight but energetic midfielder without being technically brilliant

24 but looks about 40 and only 3 Norweigan caps despite being a Serie A regular

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

What a load of cod. If i haddock any clue what you were talking about i'd be very crabby. Do you think i was prawn yesterday? Shell i continue? Something else about fish.

Bravo!!!! 

• Like 1

They obviously won't tell us but if the Everton game goes ahead we will know who in the squad has COVID. I wonder will this change our targets in this Jan window? 

I think Fred will leave either on loan or permanently so a back up right back may be useful. I think Taylor is gone in the summer so maybe a left back too. A lot of talk about Engels going too so a right sided centre back may be needed for cover too.

I also wonder about Hourihane, he hasn't seen a minute of action in months. I'm sure he was penciled in to play in the FA cup but he can't be happy warming the bench at 29 years old. If we were to move him and Lansbury on I'm sure it would mean a nice wages saving at least. 

I'd still like a speedy right winger for cover but I get the feeling this will be a very quiet Jan for most clubs. 

I would really love us to buy a quality defensive midfielder (for me, we look thinnest at left back, and then central midfield). Then some of similar quality  to Jack for our right hand side in the summer. Left back at any time, but that Lowe kid looks promising, needs a couple of seasons though. An injury to Doug or Mcginn and we have Nakamba becoming a regular, not ideal!

A lot of people are righting off Big Wes, but I see a player there. He is a really composed finisher, once he is sharp and fully adapted, he will be a very good option particularly if teams decide to park the bus.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

They obviously won't tell us but if the Everton game goes ahead we will know who in the squad has COVID. I wonder will this change our targets in this Jan window? 

I think Fred will leave either on loan or permanently so a back up right back may be useful. I think Taylor is gone in the summer so maybe a left back too. A lot of talk about Engels going too so a right sided centre back may be needed for cover too.

I also wonder about Hourihane, he hasn't seen a minute of action in months. I'm sure he was penciled in to play in the FA cup but he can't be happy warming the bench at 29 years old. If we were to move him and Lansbury on I'm sure it would mean a nice wages saving at least. 

I'd still like a speedy right winger for cover but I get the feeling this will be a very quiet Jan for most clubs. 

If you look in the covid thread people have named players who have tested positive and if true it is 90% of our starting 11 and subs.

It looks like there is literally about three or 4 players in our match squad who didn't test positive.

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

If you look in the covid thread people have named players who have tested positive and if true it is 90% of our starting 11 and subs.

I think that was meant to be a joke, they just named our first 11 :) 

22 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I would really love us to buy a quality defensive midfielder

I feel like the game has moved on from this. Not the defensive midfielder role but a player just doing *that*. Douglas Luiz for example can do a bit everything in my opinion.. pick a pass, put a tackle in etc. We need more of that as opposed to one bruiser (if that’s what you meant apologies if you didn’t) 

I’d like it if we were to form an alliance with Bodo/Glimt as they appear to have a good production line of talent. LB Fredrik André Björkan who has been linked with Leeds and DM Patrick Berg - good write up on him here

https://medium.com/@stephenconroy1000/patrick-berg-the-hub-of-the-bodø-glimt-machine-dfab7300d10a

First of all it’s important to outline his role in this side, Berg sits as the deepest midfielder in Glimt’s adventurous 433 system. His centre midfield partners push ahead to form triangles in possession with the winger and fullback on their respective sides, leaving Berg to be the player who dictates the tempo and finds his teammates in pockets of space so they can then turn and create wide overloads.

Oh BREXIT ... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’d like it if we were to form an alliance with Bodo/Glimt as they appear to have a good production line of talent. LB Fredrik André Björkan who has been linked with Leeds and DM Patrick Berg - good write up on him here

I like the positivity here, but believing a Norwegian team could bestable at anything over the amount of one year is a wishful dream I would hope one day could happen :D I loved their performance this season thou, pray they could do the same next year but players are departing now. 

3 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I feel like the game has moved on from this. Not the defensive midfielder role but a player just doing *that*. Douglas Luiz for example can do a bit everything in my opinion.. pick a pass, put a tackle in etc. We need more of that as opposed to one bruiser (if that’s what you meant apologies if you didn’t) 

To me a defensive midfielder these days needs to be more than a defender in midfield. They are either a postionally disciplined sitter with excellent passing range, or a hard working, tenacious tackler that can carry the ball with good short passing. Or a combination of the two. 

Let's agree we are mostly lining up with two defensive midfielders. We can only do this, and play the way we do because at least one of them is adept with the ball at their feet. Obviously this works better if that is the case for both.

Be a shame if we don't bring in at least one forward or centre mid.

We're going to lose points this season only because the players can't go every game. We have a very large drop off in quality outside of the first XI.

There's a real chance to crash into Europe here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Such a weird feeling around this transfer window. Doesn't really feel like it's open. 

With all that's going on I don't expect much business from any clubs in europe in this window.

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

With all that's going on I don't expect much business from any clubs in europe in this window.

You need to search out the Birmingham Mail then, they totally have some top shelf transfer stories and inside information, totally not click bait trash talk of the highest order.

nick offerman smile GIF

57 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think it will get busier nearer the end, clubs in precarious positions financially will accept bids especially abroad (Ligue 1 for example after the TV deal collapse there) I’d imagine some will pick up bargains.