Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I wouldn't, and I doubt I'm alone.

If we can't beat Brighton at home things aren't as good as they seem.

Absolutely, we should be looking to win the game.  Especially if Brighton have the injuries that some people have suggested. 

Trossard is the real danger man and will be the biggest loss for them if he’s not fit but I expect he will be.  

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Brighton will come to close us down, they will attempt to play like Southampton and try to win the midfield.....we have to be wary.

They're a nice technical team who'll probably have periods v us where they have large chunks of possession but they don't really scare me like Leeds or Southampton due to lack of prolific striker.

I would be disappointed if we didn't win but think the leveller will be many of our players scattered across the world while Brighton didn't have that many at all although seems some are apparently injured.

Could've done with this one being later on Sunday like our other games after internationals have been. Not sure our first choice midfield will be capable of 90 minutes in this so think it's a question of whether you put someone like McGinn on bench to bring on as fresh legs after 60 minutes. Hourihane will be o.k starting against this level of opposition so think DS will consider it seeing as Conor started the home win v them last season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Rosk said:

We have the Brighton game and then nothing for 9 days.  Let's ensure the boys get rest in the days leading up to it and then give their all for this before a well-deserved break, hopefully after a win.  My biggest concern is on McGinn who looked shattered vs Leeds and has arguably had a much tougher time of it flying all around the place and giving his all in actual competitive games for Scotland rather than Jack who has had basically two friendlies where he took the piss in both.

We had 9 days between Leeds and Southampton and came out incredibly flat for first 20 minutes of the second game.

I'd be o.k with McGinn being on bench for this. Still can't escape the feeling half of our regular players are going to be dead on their feet by early Feb if we don't at least rotate a little bit now in games v non top 6.

We have enough of a points buffer over bottom 6 for it not to be a huge concern.

• Like 2

Would normally expect 3 points here given how good we look but we simply don't have the squad for all of these internationals.  Smith has had bugger all time to prepare with several key players.

Desperate for Grealish, Mings and McGinn to get through unscathed tonight.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Would normally expect 3 points here given how good we look but we simply don't have the squad for all of these internationals.  Smith has had bugger all time to prepare with several key players.

Desperate for Grealish, Mings and McGinn to get through unscathed tonight.  

And Luiz & Trezeguet & Martinez

Love the way Mount is being rested tonight because Chelsea are playing saturday at 12....yet our players playing at 3, are fair game to start!

Edited by Nigel
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Love the way Mount is being rested tonight because Chelsea are playing saturday at 12....yet our players playing at 3, are fair game to start!

Think Mount is playing for England unless I read the team sheet wrong?

Anyhoo - McGinn looked dreadful after playing 3 games for Scotland last time. It took him about 2 weeks to recover.

I think we should rotate in Nakamba or Hourihane or both and bring McGinn on with 20/25 mins to go.  Worried about Jack too. He played 60 mins, 90 mins and is starting again tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Think Mount is playing for England unless I read the team sheet wrong?

Ah fair enough, was reading earlier he was to be rested.

Alls well with the world!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Martinez

Dirty   Konsa Mings Targett

Nakamba Dougie 

Ross

Trez         Watkins     AEG

Bench: JG JMcG Ramsay Elmo etc.

Or is that too drastic?

AEG = Too drastic.

Traore?

Edited by Nigel

So many of our key men will be shattered. Could be a big chance for some reserves.

Mings/McGinn/Jack will have one day of training before the game. Douglas Luiz has maybe two but is probably in a plane going over the Atlantic now.

Bloody good side on the ball this lot. Would not be surprised if they scored two despite their record.

• Like 2