Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/full-extent-brightons-worrying-injury-list-revealed-ahead-aston-villa-3038100?page=1

Full extent of Brighton's worrying injury list revealed ahead of Aston Villa

Brighton and Hove Albion will monitor the fitness levels of several key players before they return to Premier League action at Villa Park this Saturday

• Davy Propper - Achilles

• Solly March - ankle

• Aaron Connolly - hamstring

• Leandro Trossard - adductor

• Alexis Mac Allister

• Alireza Jahanbakhsh - hamstring

• Florin Andone - knee

• Jose Izquierdo - knee

• Christian Walton - ankle

Imagine most of these will still be available.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Bizarre stat of the day.  We have 15pts this season. Guess how many we had in the same fixtures last season. One point.  We are 14pts up on the same fixtures as last season. It's slightly skewed by getting 3pts versus a fulham side we didn't play, but it's still amazing. The only corresponding fixture we got anything from last season up to this point was a 0-0 draw at home to Sheffield United.

You could prolly just switch Fulham with Norwich as they are very likely to go down

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Bizarre stat of the day.  We have 15pts this season. Guess how many we had in the same fixtures last season. One point.  We are 14pts up on the same fixtures as last season. It's slightly skewed by getting 3pts versus a fulham side we didn't play, but it's still amazing. The only corresponding fixture we got anything from last season up to this point was a 0-0 draw at home to Sheffield United.

cool stat....and we still did lose at fulham last season in the cup so it's still worth counting

Yeah we should be winning this. It would be nice to put to bed this weird start where we beat the good teams and not the poorer teams (although Southampton in retrospect are a good side this season, Leeds is the blip really)

• Like 1

Head 1-2 :( 

Have a nagging doubt that we might slip up here. Obviously hope I am wrong, just have a feeling our returning international players might be slightly off the pace.

It will aid us somewhat if their injury list is as severe as the one above, but tbh we shouldn't have to rely on this to get the three points - We have already been quite fortunate IMO to face a weakened Liverpool side and a Vardy-less Leicester.

Team selection may come down to the fitness and rest period of the international players though I am sure Smith would prefer to send out the same team that faced Arsenal - think that goes without saying.

These aren't a bad side at all and I think their performances probably deserve more than the 6 points they currently have. In the games I have seen I thought they were a little unlucky to lose to Chelsea (by a 1-3 score line) and Man Utd (last kick) and had 20 shots away at Palace before grabbing a last minute equalizer. They play good passing football, on the deck, with some decent players and I think Potter has done quite well since he's been there. They bossed us for 30 minutes at VP last season until Mooy was sent off, though to be fair we will probably have 7 different players starting from that day so can't really decipher too much from that game to this one on Saturday - Just remember being pretty impressed with them.

I think if our energy levels are there, provided in particular by the likes of the non-playing internationals such as Konsa, Cash, Barkley and Watkins then I hope we can nick the 3 points.

Heart 2-1 :)  UTV

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Wow.... 👌

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I think if our energy levels are there, provided in particular by the likes of the non-playing internationals such as Konsa, Cash, Barkley and Watkins then I hope we can nick the 3 points.

Yes, i think energy levels will be key.    

If we are lethargic we probably lose.   If we on fire, we should win.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, i think energy levels will be key.    

If we are lethargic we probably lose.   If we on fire, we should win.

it is key, to this game.....we know we have the talent......we need to show we have the workrate to match, like we did against Arsenal.....off the ball work, will be central to us winning.

If McGinn and Luiz play well, we have a great chance to secure 3 points.

It will be a tough game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

If McGinn and Luiz play well, we have a great chance to secure 3 points.

This for me.  Wren he plays well we win - Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester to a lesser extent.  When he is slightly off we lose - Leeds and Saints.  He is so important for us because he sets the tone/tempo for the rest of the midfield!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

This for me.  Wren he plays well we win - Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester to a lesser extent.  When he is slightly off we lose - Leeds and Saints.  He is so important for us because he sets the tone/tempo for the rest of the midfield!

One million per cent spot on.

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

mcginn for conor anyone? he must be absolutely knackered

If we want to rest McGinn, then it's Nakamba who should start. I don't think we can afford to play Barkley and Hourihane against a team like Brighton. They're very good side in terms of style and we could get punished if we judge them on the 6 points they have. We've seen against Leeds and Southampton that we need our midfield to be at their best especially without the ball.

12 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

He’s got to be starling every game ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have the Brighton game and then nothing for 9 days.  Let's ensure the boys get rest in the days leading up to it and then give their all for this before a well-deserved break, hopefully after a win.  My biggest concern is on McGinn who looked shattered vs Leeds and has arguably had a much tougher time of it flying all around the place and giving his all in actual competitive games for Scotland rather than Jack who has had basically two friendlies where he took the piss in both.

12 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

Interesting! So, 1400 % improvement on last season. Not bad. If we keep it up, that would mean at the season end we get 35 times 14.....490 points this season! That will surely secure at least a top four!!

vwMin.gif

Yeah 490pts would probably have us second behind City.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Would be happy with a draw.

I wouldn't, and I doubt I'm alone.

If we can't beat Brighton at home things aren't as good as they seem.

• Like 1