Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

As our squad stands, injuries will be key to our season. Last season we suffered, playing with no striker practically for a while etc. This season we've deffo got a stronger first 11 but take 3 or 4 out of it and we'll struggle again.

I think that’s true of almost any side in the league though but that’s why I advocated holding money back to spend in Jan as needed rather than spending it all in the summer.

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think that’s true of almost any side in the league though but that’s why I advocated holding money back to spend in Jan as needed rather than spending it all in the summer.

We've got less depth than two thirds of the league at least I'd say but yeah not many teams would just cruise through 3 or 4 key injuries it's true, but with us it's hard to see how we could get close to the level we've played at this season in that case. 

Jan's tricky, if we we're really stuck I think they'd find some money, but we can't compete on wages yet so what we coudl get in a tougher market in Jan compared to what we could get in the summer offering more in wages might be a big jump in class.

18 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

The key for me is SJM.  If he plays, well we play well.  He was fantastic against Liverpool and Arsenal and poor v Leeds & Southampton.  Playing in the middle of the park, I think his energy and dynamism sets the tone for Luiz and Barkley.

I am concerned that he is going to be playing three games for Scotland over the "Break" where he will, no doubt, run himself into the ground.

If he shows up we win comfortably. If not, we could come away with a bloody nose.

I absolutely loath the Nations League. Understandable that he plays 90 mins on Thursday in the playoff game but I'd be furious as a club manager if he plays three times 90 mins over the break. 

I have only recently read the thread and given the start we have made am very surprised by the level of pessimism running through it. We are a very different side this year and it’s time to let go of the ‘can’t see us getting anything out of this’ mantra. We still have a way to go and won’t win every week even against teams that form suggests we should, it really is ok to be a little more optimistic and say ‘you know I think we might just do it this week’ 

Give Ginnie a rest. This is the sort of games Conor thrives in

................Martinez...............

Cash..Konsa..Mings.....Targett

.....................Luiz......................

...............Conor..Barkley..........

Trez..............Watkins.......Grealish

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Fans will likely be allowed into stadiums at some point next season although at a very reduced capacity. 25% or so.

The plan is still March I think, more so if vaccine can get rolling out from January onwards so two months for most vulnerable to be protected. Quarter to third full for last two months I think and then hopefully back to as normal as possible from August if everything goes well.

On 10/11/2020 at 02:49, Kiwivillan said:

A. How many games have you been confident beforehand this season?

B. Mate seriously last year's fixture? Team that played last season vs likely 11 missing Martinez Cash Konsa Luiz Barkley Trez Watkins. 7 whole players different 

I was strangely confident going into the last match, or at least relatively so, likewise Leicester, incidentally I had a bad vibe for both the Leeds and Southampton games.

Just have a bad feeling for this one and last season’s corresponding fixture forms only part of the reason.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Give Ginnie a rest. This is the sort of games Conor thrives in

................Martinez...............

Cash..Konsa..Mings.....Targett

.....................Luiz......................

...............Conor..Barkley..........

Trez..............Watkins.......Grealish

I agree. Plus Hourihane deserves a run out. Scored some great goals for us and has always been patient to get his shot. McGinn's form starting to vary as he's still coming back really, and with the Scotland games he'll be knackered. Conor should get an Irish runout, so be match ready

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The plan is still March I think, more so if vaccine can get rolling out from January onwards so two months for most vulnerable to be protected. Quarter to third full for last two months I think and then hopefully back to as normal as possible from August if everything goes well.

Absolutely no chance. None whatsoever. This is what I do for a living and I speak to clubs on a regular basis in the hope that there will be some good news on the horizon.

In the very best case scenario, there's a chance to get to around 50% by late next season but there will not be full stadiums anytime soon. For that to happen there will need to be a vaccine fully and widely available. This will take months in itself. Then there will need to be trials with smaller numbers of fans. A process that again, will not be hurried.

Its going to be incremental starting from next season all being well. There is as I say a SMALL chance of 25% capacity towards the end of this season but its going to depend on people's behaviour during the latest lockdown and over the festive period. 

Good luck with that.

Full stadiums by August? Unfortunately that's just not going to happen. Unless you mean August 2022. Even then, I wouldn't be so sure.

Back on topic and I think a hard fought draw will be the outcome and not entirely disappointing either. Brighton are a good side and they won't attack us in the same way the top clubs do. 

1-1. Watkins

Edited by One For The Road

4 hours ago, chrisvilla said:

I agree. Plus Hourihane deserves a run out. Scored some great goals for us and has always been patient to get his shot. McGinn's form starting to vary as he's still coming back really, and with the Scotland games he'll be knackered. Conor should get an Irish runout, so be match ready

If I remember Brighton at VP last year, they dominated before going a man down?  CH played in that game and the game passed him buy until they went down to 10 men.  I just don't think he has the energy/dynamism to play as an "8" against decent PL outfits.

5 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Absolutely no chance. None whatsoever. This is what I do for a living and I speak to clubs on a regular basis in the hope that there will be some good news on the horizon.

In the very best case scenario, there's a chance to get to around 50% by late next season but there will not be full stadiums anytime soon. For that to happen there will need to be a vaccine fully and widely available. This will take months in itself. Then there will need to be trials with smaller numbers of fans. A process that again, will not be hurried.

Its going to be incremental starting from next season all being well. There is as I say a SMALL chance of 25% capacity towards the end of this season but its going to depend on people's behaviour during the latest lockdown and over the festive period. 

Good luck with that.

Full stadiums by August? Unfortunately that's just not going to happen. Unless you mean August 2022. Even then, I wouldn't be so sure.

Back on topic and I think a hard fought draw will be the outcome and not entirely disappointing either. Brighton are a good side and they won't attack us in the same way the top clubs do. 

1-1. Watkins

Ah right if you're dealing with clubs then I can't counter much with a response. Was just going by the cautious optimistic news on Vaccine that could be rolled out with 10m doses during January (so 5m can get it and that number increases during the following 6 months so we get to July 2021).

Significant return to normality expected by then so I took that to mean decent crowds in sports venues again if say 60% of population has been vaccinated at that stage.

If above is going to happen guess that means another barren summer without festivals aswell.:(

TBH being non season ticket holder it was a major struggle to get to many games last season so I doubt I'll get to a live game for a while anyway, just be nice to have a normal atmosphere on a matchday again to watch or listen in to.