Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

8 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

So now there is no legal way to watch any 3pm kick offs. 

There never has been. They offered us the chance to buy the extra games and the huge uproar meant they decided against it. So now we go back to the way they've always done it pre-Covid.

Edited by One For The Road

I think we’ll struggle.

We were fortunate to beat them in the corresponding fixture last season and as has been mentioned they’ve actually been playing well and are probably due a day where they get the rub of the green.

Can see Lamptey having a field day against Targett who does not like people running at him, and yeah, Maupay, total Representative for Wellingborough loves playing us.

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

There never has been. They offered us the chance to buy the extra games and the huge uproar meant they decided against it. So now we go back to the way they've always done it pre-Covid.

All the games were broadcast at no additional cost during lockdown 1. 

The caveat being that they were spread over Sky, BT, Amazon and the BBC so you needed access to each.

I don’t see why they can’t do that again.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we’ll struggle.

We were fortunate to beat them in the corresponding fixture last season and as has been mentioned they’ve actually been playing well and are probably due a day where they get the rub of the green.

Can see Lamptey having a field day against Targett who does not like people running at him, and yeah, Maupay, total Representative for Wellingborough loves playing us.

A. How many games have you been confident beforehand this season?

B. Mate seriously last year's fixture? Team that played last season vs likely 11 missing Martinez Cash Konsa Luiz Barkley Trez Watkins. 7 whole players different 

Edited by Kiwivillan

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this game aside, we know as well as anyone just how pointless "X points" is compared to reality, we were much higher last season on expected points etc,.

Err what? We were on 37xPTS in 18th place, IRL we finished with 35 in 17th. Seems reasonably accurate

I feel like the xPTS table from the end of last season did a good job of highlighting the lucky and unlucky teams. Newcastle overperformed by 12 points and were the luckiest. To my untrained eye that seemed spot on.

Watford underperformed the most. They should never have been relegated. Hah. **** em. Whether that was down to 'bottling' is a debate to be had but a lot of bottling is often bad luck imo.

Edited by blandy
Swearing
  • Like 1

This game is a worry for me.  Forget league position they will climb out of danger and will be a real test.

They were one of the best teams we faced at home last season till Mooy got sent off.

Hope we dont take these for granted.

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this game aside, we know as well as anyone just how pointless "X points" is compared to reality, we were much higher last season on expected points etc, but look at what happened, and the expected points assessment didnt tell the story of how weak we were, and how we bottled it so many times, data cant show that in the truest sense.

Stats are great for a lot of things, they can be very informative, but also they dont relate mental things well, such as the reason X team "should have X points, but have Y points", might actually be down to the fact they are bottlers or weak (a bit like we were last season)

so anyway, my point is, stats are great, they can inform a magnitude of things, but they also dont reflect some very important things, like "why". (unless the data is set up to understand the why - which X points isnt)

I think we could easily lose this game tbh, especially as we seem to only like playing the top teams these days lol.

zach galifianakis algorithm GIF by Product Hunt

We need our players to come back healthy! Hopefully this gets moved back a day. 

Tough game, I've seen Brighton a fair bit and they've looked good, but lacked clinical finishing. They shouldn't be down there and they will turn it around. However,  and I hope I don't regret it, I don't think they are leeds or southampton like in their capacity to upend us. I would be dismayed if we lost.  A draw would be a bit frustrating, but not a disaster. If we're on it, we will cause them problems. 

11 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All the games were broadcast at no additional cost during lockdown 1. 

The caveat being that they were spread over Sky, BT, Amazon and the BBC so you needed access to each.

I don’t see why they can’t do that again.

Wait, what?  I thought they were?

As others have said Brighton have been playing better than their results and position suggest but they just can’t score. While we’ve been solid away and leaking goals at home, so something is going to give.

I think we will win, let’s just hope we don’t pick up any injuries on international duty.

18 hours ago, saturdaygig said:

Lawrenson is just formulating his prediction.

Villa have been ok this season, but Brighton have been unlucky so far, and I think their time has come. 0-2.

Which hopefully should seal it for us.

5 wins out of 7 games. I give that an ok rating...

Really should be targeting a win in this game but it could be anything really, Brighton play good football but you wonder if sooner or later the stuffing might be knocked out of them for not getting the points their form deserves.

This will be an easier match than Arsenal. Not as tough as all those games though.

They are a very good team, and have been so unlucky so far. Bissouma huge for them in midfield, we need Barkley and McGinn to shut him down or he'll dictate the game.

This is the first match of the season I wouldn't take a point pre-kickoff. 

The key for me is SJM.  If he plays, well we play well.  He was fantastic against Liverpool and Arsenal and poor v Leeds & Southampton.  Playing in the middle of the park, I think his energy and dynamism sets the tone for Luiz and Barkley.

I am concerned that he is going to be playing three games for Scotland over the "Break" where he will, no doubt, run himself into the ground.

If he shows up we win comfortably. If not, we could come away with a bloody nose.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this game aside, we know as well as anyone just how pointless "X points" is compared to reality, we were much higher last season on expected points etc, but look at what happened, and the expected points assessment didnt tell the story of how weak we were, and how we bottled it so many times, data cant show that in the truest sense.

Stats are great for a lot of things, they can be very informative, but also they dont relate mental things well, such as the reason X team "should have X points, but have Y points", might actually be down to the fact they are bottlers or weak (a bit like we were last season)

so anyway, my point is, stats are great, they can inform a magnitude of things, but they also dont reflect some very important things, like "why". (unless the data is set up to understand the why - which X points isnt)

I think we could easily lose this game tbh, especially as we seem to only like playing the top teams these days lol.

Top teams, let you play to a degree, they are happy to go toe to toe.....We are much stronger technically than last season, so are better placed to give them a game.

I think we can beat anyone, this season.......but.

The teams that are just intent in stopping us are a danger, we don't like players in our faces ( I hope we sign a few in the next window ,who are comfortable with that)....so Brighton, could be tricky.

If we come out an win the encounters like we did on Sunday, we will be ok.....we have to be up for it......no dining out, on sundays win.

17 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

So funny that they'd rather not show the games than reduce the price. So now there is no legal way to watch any 3pm kick offs. 

yeah.....sounds like they have got the hump.

I heard today, we was one of the biggest pay per view takers too.....so they loved us on their little gravy train.

hopefully with the breaking news on the vaccine, it won't be too long before we are cheering them on.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

As others have said Brighton have been playing better than their results and position suggest but they just can’t score. While we’ve been solid away and leaking goals at home, so something is going to give.

I think we will win, let’s just hope we don’t pick up any injuries on international duty.

As our squad stands, injuries will be key to our season. Last season we suffered, playing with no striker practically for a while etc. This season we've deffo got a stronger first 11 but take 3 or 4 out of it and we'll struggle again.