Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

10 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

There's too much pessimism, WV.

We are doing so well at the moment. If we are not optimistic now, when will we be?

It costs nothing to be optimistic, and has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

You've definitely jinxed us now.

• Haha 3

Interesting to see how this plays out today. BHA is a much harder game than some give credit for. We have a very good record against them historically, particularly at Villa Park. Maybe this is another game, just like Arsenal away, that will suit us. Posession based side that we can counter on. It will be suicide for them if they play a high line like they did last year at Villa Park. I remember those first 25mins before Mooy was sent off, we couldnt get out. They squeezed us and kept the ball for so long. It was very frustrating. After seeing the Liverpool game, I dont think Potter will be doing the same this year.

Expect we'll see the same 11 as usual provided we have no injuries and that's fine as we don't really have a squad to choose from.

But I really hope that if/when our international players who in some cases have played 3 games during the break and traveled get tired we do use our subs this time. We might not have much options on the bench but we really can't afford any of our starting 11 to pick up injuries. Nor are we good enough that we can have players on the pitch not tracking back or pressing because they are tired. The likes of Hourihane, Nakamba and Traore are all capable of a 20-30 min cameos without us losing all shape. I hope.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

I really hope we learn from the **** ups against leeds and southampton. I know home and away means little these days, but we've technically lost our last two home games, so we need a win here, but I fear we'll be, Villa.

• Like 2

If only we were the 12.30 match and not Chelsea, then we'd have a much better chance of going top of the PL for the first time since 2011. 😢 Oh well. At least we were top once, back in the mists of time, better than never, I suppose. I think I read somewhere that only one of the current PL teams has never been top of the top flight table and if I remember rightly I think it's Brighton! 

Edited by robby b

32 minutes ago, robby b said:

If only we were the 12.30 match and not Chelsea, then we'd have a much better chance of going top of the PL for the first time since 2011. 😢 Oh well. At least we were top once, back in the mists of time, better than never, I suppose. I think I read somewhere that only one of the current PL teams has never been top of the top flight table and if I remember rightly I think it's Brighton! 

Accumulating points is the important thing rather than league position. The later gives you nothing extra other than pressure, let other teams have that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Accumulating points is the important thing rather than league position. The later gives you nothing extra other than pressure, let other teams have that.

That's true. But it would look nice for a few hours or maybe a whole day though, wouldn't it? I could take a photo, frame it and put it on the wall!

• Like 1

Love a win but it's a difficult game with the preparation or lack of it due to internationals. With that in mind we have to rely on Watkins and Barkley to put a real shift in.

2-2 draw with us going behind   UTV 

3 hours ago, robby b said:

Don’t worry, even if Bruce doesn’t inevitably shithouse a result with minus 2 shots on target, we’ll still go top on GD.

• Like 1