Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

I think this is going to be an interesting one for us.

So far this season we seem to have done amazingly against the big sides, where we can sit back a bit, hit them on the break and cause an upset, which is amazing considering how poor we were against top 6 ish sides last season.

When we choose to come out and play though we seem a little more shakey, I would assume we will need to come out and play versus Brighton.

This would either be a huge win for our progression towards 40 points, or another eyebrow raiser of a defeat after doing so well against the so called big guns.

• Like 3

Brighton are a very good side this season and have been incredibly unlucky in several games so far.

Understat's xPTS table actually has them ranked 5th this season ahead of us.

d7aaff70b0480547640f8cdcfad8fc31.png

Lamptey looks like the best value signing of the season so far. Can't believe Chelsea keep that 80 man squad of loanees and then sell him for £1m. Awful decision.

They'll have Dunk back for this one as well, although Veltman has done well so might keep his place for a week. If Dunk does play they'll have that comically large defence that just looks awkward to play against.

All that said there's no reason why we can't tear them apart as long as Mings winds Maupay up enough to distract him from doing anything useful.

I think we win this. I think we win precisely because Brighton play the kind of big team football we seem to thrive against.  They're not doing well, and they've been massively unlucky, but I still don't think we suit them.  Although Maupay is due a goal and the Brentford link to Smith makes it timely for him. I think it's 3-1 Villa.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nah bud.

We need to keep up with Liverpool and Southampton.

Must win game.

About as far away from a must win game as possible.

Very likely we wont have a must win game this season.

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I think this is going to be an interesting one for us.

So far this season we seem to have done amazingly against the big sides, where we can sit back a bit, hit them on the break and cause an upset, which is amazing considering how poor we were against top 6 ish sides last season.

When we choose to come out and play though we seem a little more shakey, I would assume we will need to come out and play versus Brighton.

This would either be a huge win for our progression towards 40 points, or another eyebrow raiser of a defeat after doing so well against the so called big guns.

That is not true though we attacked both Plop and Arse from the beginning of the match and dominated them both!

Villa need to continue where we left off against Brighton as we have nothing to fear from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Three o'clock on a Saturday? What wizardry is this? 

Well, everyone complained about the extra games being televised for a fee and they won. So now the games are not televised. Simple.

Back to the game, and I think this will be a very tough one for us and I expect us to drop points. Fancy a 1-1 here, with another from Ollie.

We have to approach this game like the last game.....it will be tough, there are no easy games.

If we approach it like we did Arsenal, we have a wonderful chance.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Brighton are a very good side this season and have been incredibly unlucky in several games so far.

Understat's xPTS table actually has them ranked 5th this season ahead of us.

d7aaff70b0480547640f8cdcfad8fc31.png

Lamptey looks like the best value signing of the season so far. Can't believe Chelsea keep that 80 man squad of loanees and then sell him for £1m. Awful decision.

They'll have Dunk back for this one as well, although Veltman has done well so might keep his place for a week. If Dunk does play they'll have that comically large defence that just looks awkward to play against.

All that said there's no reason why we can't tear them apart as long as Mings winds Maupay up enough to distract him from doing anything useful.

this game aside, we know as well as anyone just how pointless "X points" is compared to reality, we were much higher last season on expected points etc, but look at what happened, and the expected points assessment didnt tell the story of how weak we were, and how we bottled it so many times, data cant show that in the truest sense.

Stats are great for a lot of things, they can be very informative, but also they dont relate mental things well, such as the reason X team "should have X points, but have Y points", might actually be down to the fact they are bottlers or weak (a bit like we were last season)

so anyway, my point is, stats are great, they can inform a magnitude of things, but they also dont reflect some very important things, like "why". (unless the data is set up to understand the why - which X points isnt)

I think we could easily lose this game tbh, especially as we seem to only like playing the top teams these days lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

I think we win this. I think we win precisely because Brighton play the kind of big team football we seem to thrive against.  They're not doing well, and they've been massively unlucky, but I still don't think we suit them.  Although Maupay is due a goal and the Brentford link to Smith makes it timely for him. I think it's 3-1 Villa.

We will if we don’t go toe to from the off. Need to let them have the ball and get a false sense of dominance and then smash them on the break. Once the second goes in they fall apart and we finish them off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Well, everyone complained about the extra games being televised for a fee and they won. So now the games are not televised. Simple.

Back to the game, and I think this will be a very tough one for us and I expect us to drop points. Fancy a 1-1 here, with another from Ollie.

So funny that they'd rather not show the games than reduce the price. So now there is no legal way to watch any 3pm kick offs.