England v Rep of Ireland/Belgium v England/England v Iceland

andykeenan

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

he was but the point does stand, you don't get as many privately educated footballers as say rugby players, olympians etc. i think he went to school with a few of the current england rugby lads for example. probably to do with the scouting systems....rugby tend to focus on the private schools

The old stereotypes dominate everything IMO . . . private school headteachers think football is a working class sport for the lower orders, and normal school heads either think rugby is for toffs, think nobody would be interested, or can't afford the equipment.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The old stereotypes dominate everything IMO . . . private school headteachers think football is a working class sport for the lower orders, and normal school heads either think rugby is for toffs, think nobody would be interested, or can't afford the equipment.

Off topic slightly but my son told me the other day they did rugby at school, however they aren’t allowed to tackle or kick the ball :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Off topic slightly but my son told me the other day they did rugby at school, however they aren’t allowed to tackle or kick the ball :lol: 

Is that a covid thing?

God, I hated playing rugby at school. We used to have to do laps if you were considered not muddy enough at the end of the session, so my friend and I used to faceplant into the mud when the teacher wasn't looking 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is that a covid thing?

God, I hated playing rugby at school. We used to have to do laps if you were considered not muddy enough at the end of the session, so my friend and I used to faceplant into the mud when the teacher wasn't looking 🙄

Think tackling is to do with concussion risks. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, and it probably hinders both sports in a way. It's the school's fault rather than the scouting from each sport. Why would football focus on private and grammar schools when barley anyone there plays them?

I went to a grammar school and we had no football team until you got into 6th form, and then it was only an "option" for those who weren't in the rugby or hockey teams, which was basically every remotely sporty person in the school so the football team weren't left with much.

I'm not saying anyone would be good enough to be professionals, but all of the good football players in my school never played football because we were already in teh rugby team which was engrained in us from Year 7.
Wasn't an issue for me because I liked Rugby in the end, but it must mean that lots of talented football players don't end up playing football because their school doesn't do it. And I'm sure it works the other way too, with kids going to comprehensives not getting the opportunity to play Rugby

• Like 1

my PE teacher did hardly any football at school, he thought that football was so accessible outside of school that he didnt really see the point, he's not wrong

and thinking about it what private school did he go to in stourbridge? the only one i can think of is oldswinford and that place lets in a certain percentage of non paying local kids each year

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my PE teacher did hardly any football at school, he thought that football was so accessible outside of school that he didnt really see the point, he's not wrong

Whilst that is true, it's not as simple as that.

I'm a prime example. I loved football. Played in the school team, played for a Sunday team. Played for the county. 

Went to secondary school and because we did Rugby, the football just stopped. I could have kept up the Sunday team for a while (which I did for a couple of years) but I got so into Rugby that I wasn't bothered anymore.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting for once second I was good enough to play football at any decent level. I wasn't at all. but it must happen to lots of other kids too who might be good enough.

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

With the chances, its a Bamford made it from a private school 😜

Hes a proper posh boy too. Plays the violin, piano and speaks Spanish and French.

All this while being the best striker in the league. Some people get all the luck, don't they?

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, and it probably hinders both sports in a way. It's the school's fault rather than the scouting from each sport. Why would football focus on private and grammar schools when barley anyone there plays them?

I went to a grammar school and we had no football team until you got into 6th form, and then it was only an "option" for those who weren't in the rugby or hockey teams, which was basically every remotely sporty person in the school so the football team weren't left with much.

I'm not saying anyone would be good enough to be professionals, but all of the good football players in my school never played football because we were already in teh rugby team which was engrained in us from Year 7.
Wasn't an issue for me because I liked Rugby in the end, but it must mean that lots of talented football players don't end up playing football because their school doesn't do it. And I'm sure it works the other way too, with kids going to comprehensives not getting the opportunity to play Rugby

At my lads school, about 2000 kids, It was all football with token Rugby. What pissed me off was the rugby team mainly comprised of the players from the local team, so we were quite good. They had about 10 players that had played regularly for a few years. So when the national cup came round we won our first two rounds, It was mainly arranged by the parents, with a token teacher to accompany. Third round, now we were in the last 128 in the country, we were drawn away to Newcastle Gram. The head forfeited the game because he thought we would lose and it would be too expensive in time and money. That was bad enough, but the same week they put up posters for a school trip to go and watch Rael Madrid train, could afford to lose the teachers for that trip ok.

10 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Hes a proper posh boy too. Plays the violin, piano and speaks Spanish and French.

All this while being the best striker in the league. Some people get all the luck, don't they?

Nah he dropped French and took up Ballet. Good at it too

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

his dad is a cop for west midlands, quite high up in the ranks, i spoke to some lads who know him and they said that jude's mom spends a lot of time in germany but because his dad has such a high ranking job he's sticking with it rather than retiring and moving out there, he's like 3rd or 4th in command or something close to that

the lads know him because he used to play for the same veterans team as me, its only the last couple of years in his mid to late 40s that he's stopped playing, played a lot of non league football, he's a big football man

This is true, his Dad (good bloke) was a cracking footballer himself.

Really decent family 

2 hours ago, Rino8 said:

He's a Tory so it pretty much cancels out anything good

• Like 2

Â