England v Rep of Ireland/Belgium v England/England v Iceland

andykeenan

Rep of Ireland Thursday 12 Nov 8pm ITV 

Belgium Sunday 15 Nov 7.45pm SS Main Event 

Iceland Wednesday 18 Nov 7.45pm SS Main Event 

The squad 

Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Dominic Calvert-Lewin(Everton), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady(Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier(Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jack Grealish(Aston Villa) Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Reece James (Chelsea) Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Jordan Pickford(Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Declan Rice(West Ham United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal) Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City),  James Ward-Prowse(Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

8 players who have played a league game at RB, 8 who have played a league game at CB, James is suspended for the 2 NL games

he's also been questioned on pickford and said the other 2 aren't seriously challenging him

step away from the grealish bollocks for a moment and theres still so much wrong with southgate

Alexander Arnold is another issue as well, he prefers Walker and Trippier who are ok right backs but Alexander Arnold is more talented than both of them. The other 2 arent even great at defending to pick over TAA

Jack and TAA are probably the 2 most creative players in the squad and them plus Maddison are the most creative English players at the moment

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Alexander Arnold is another issue as well, he prefers Walker and Trippier who are ok right backs but Alexander Arnold is more talented than both of them. The other 2 arent even great at defending to pick over TAA

Jack and TAA are probably the 2 most creative players in the squad and them plus Maddison are the most creative English players at the moment

He’s fallen into that trap that a lot of other managers fall into, avoiding the obvious selections/formations.

You have a group of players that will lend themselves to a certain style of play but he feels he can’t do that as it looks weak.

Alexander-Arnold has never had a particularly brilliant game for England that I can recall. Now, maybe we can lay that at the door of the manager, say it's his system. But it's not like it's some enormous mystery why he prefers Walker and Trippier who tend to look better *for England*.

Walker has his pace which is always an asset. Southgate is a defensive manager so the likes of TAA who is fantastic going forward is not going to figure. Its a shame that we have a  manager like him in charge of the best crop of young talent i have ever known. I would include Foden as another player who has great talent. We need a a proper manager in charge of this England team.  Someone like Wenger would be perfect.

• Like 1

Southgate will get away with it but starting sancho vs belgium would be another questionable decision, he's really not in form, subbed off again yesterday making it 2 full 90 mins out of 12 games 

Its not just the blindingly obvious Jack stuff, it's little things all over the squad and the pitch 

* he'll now have a blinder 

Edited by villa4europe

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair to Bellingham he's getting games and doing ok

Barkley and maddison left at home though is a bit daft

I was under the impression that Bellingham was more of an 8 or even a 6 than a 10.

England play 7 defensive players every game (8 if you count Pickford, although I'm not sure why you would) so we've probably already got too many attackers in the squad to include Barkley and Maddison.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I was under the impression that Bellingham was more of an 8 or even a 6 than a 10.

England play 7 defensive players every game (8 if you count Pickford, although I'm not sure why you would) so we've probably already got too many attackers in the squad to include Barkley and Maddison.

Pickford doesn't save a lot so I wouldn't necessarily describe him as defensive lol

Â