Football Manager 2021

Villaphan04

Started a new game as Norwich. Started appalling, but some really good signings in January saw me pick up form. Ultimately I failed though finishing 7th 1 point off playoffs. 
Got sacked.

Immediately got offered the Brentford job as they’d finished 18th. Board only wanted me to build squad. I’ve never done so many transfers, didn’t like the team at all. Stripped it down and rebought. Plus added loans really well (all the London based prem clubs were really happy to loan to me as nearby). Finished 4th and won play offs. Villa who had been relegated romped the league only losing once (to me). They sold Grealish after getting promoted to Brighton for only £11m, after he rejected spurs in January - very odd. 

Into prem, made more signings. Somehow finished 11th and won the league cup. 

In my very first save, I got offered another job (Chelsea, when I was in charge of Villa, which I obviously rejected.) Surprised never had that since despite winning titles in other saves and then in this one succeeding.

Just finished my second season with Dortmund. Struggling to really get into it this year.

Won the league at a canter, losing twice all season and only drawing 3, so finished on 90 points with a +90 GD. Haaland got 37 league goals but 64 in all comps, he is an absolute machine. I play him up top with Isak, who got 36 in the league and 46 in all comps. Scored for fun.

Frustratingly made it to my first CL final with them after losing in the QF in my first season. Knocked out Arsenal, Chelsea and City to reach the final, and had to play Bayern. Had the upper hand in the league games against them, and finished miles ahead of them. Game finished 1-1, but we were well below par. ET comes around and Gnabry runs almost unchallenged for what seemed eternity and slotted it home. Lose 2-1 despite throwing the kitchen sink at them.

I put it down to my team being so young that they were a no show for the final, hopefully come back stronger next season. My players will be a year older and wiser next season. Got the likes of Tonali, Fati, Marcos Antonio (check him out if you’ve not seen him, he plays for Shakhtar), Eric Garcia, Szoboszlai, Aarons and Katterbach, alongside the usual Dortmund boys, JB, Gio Reyna and Sancho. All very young, so hopefully their mental stats can improve and we make it count next season. In hindsight maybe should’ve started the likes of Wiesel and Reus in the final. We go again!

On 04/01/2021 at 11:39, Milfner said:

So despite that horrible start, this somehow happened...

I’ve never had a season like it, let alone with a team with the smallest budget in the league and their first season after promotion. 

The summer transfer window was a total grind, I have two maybe three borderline starters for the prem. Played my first two games and lost to Everton and Spurs. My next two are United and Chelsea. Gonna be a long season, don’t think I’ll be surviving. 

0040FDF9-B75A-4192-9B10-530FE918234D.jpeg

The summer transfer window was a total grind, I have two maybe three borderline starters for the prem. Played my first two games and lost to Everton and Spurs. My next two are United and Chelsea. Gonna be a long season, don’t think I’ll be surviving. I got turned down by so many players in just ridiculous circumstances. Players wanting 80k a week off me to play in the Prem, but then accepting 15k to play in the championship. I get I have a very low reputation team, but that would simply not happen irl. Must've happen 5 or 6 times at least.

Third season. Somehow stayed up after just 7 points from my first 16 games. I think the world cup winter break saved me. 50 days off and no games where I would've probably lost about eight games. Managed to get two players in during January and that saved my season! Ended up on 44 points in the end, 37 points in 22 games is practically European form!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Just finished my second season with Dortmund. Struggling to really get into it this year.

Won the league at a canter, losing twice all season and only drawing 3, so finished on 90 points with a +90 GD. Haaland got 37 league goals but 64 in all comps, he is an absolute machine. I play him up top with Isak, who got 36 in the league and 46 in all comps. Scored for fun.

Frustratingly made it to my first CL final with them after losing in the QF in my first season. Knocked out Arsenal, Chelsea and City to reach the final, and had to play Bayern. Had the upper hand in the league games against them, and finished miles ahead of them. Game finished 1-1, but we were well below par. ET comes around and Gnabry runs almost unchallenged for what seemed eternity and slotted it home. Lose 2-1 despite throwing the kitchen sink at them.

I put it down to my team being so young that they were a no show for the final, hopefully come back stronger next season. My players will be a year older and wiser next season. Got the likes of Tonali, Fati, Marcos Antonio (check him out if you’ve not seen him, he plays for Shakhtar), Eric Garcia, Szoboszlai, Aarons and Katterbach, alongside the usual Dortmund boys, JB, Gio Reyna and Sancho. All very young, so hopefully their mental stats can improve and we make it count next season. In hindsight maybe should’ve started the likes of Wiesel and Reus in the final. We go again!

So, as has been building all season, PSG have come in for Haaland. He has 2 years in his deal. Point blank refused to enter discussions all season because of their interest. 

Bidding started at £95m. I negotiated to £170m up front and 15% sell on. They accepted straight away, wish I’d asked for more!. Tried persuading him to stay but not having any of it.

Not confirmed yet, but with Isak still there, Milik as back up, think I’ll take the money, buy Esposito and carry on!

Agreed the deal for Esposito, paying £30m up front and a further £19m in add ins and clauses. Confirmed it  

Continue game and Haaland rejects PSG. So now I have Haaland, Isak, Esposito, Milik and Kaio Jorge. Embarrassment of riches. Going to reject any other advances for Haaland and desperately try to get him to sign a new deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/01/2021 at 21:15, villan-scott said:

Agreed the deal for Esposito, paying £30m up front and a further £19m in add ins and clauses. Confirmed it  

Continue game and Haaland rejects PSG. So now I have Haaland, Isak, Esposito, Milik and Kaio Jorge. Embarrassment of riches. Going to reject any other advances for Haaland and desperately try to get him to sign a new deal. 

PSG have disappeared with their interest now after Haaland bizarrely rejected the move, despite pining for it! Even after he rejected the move he wouldn’t sign a nee deal as he wanted to move to PSG. The move he just rejected. 

Then a few weeks later he dropped that he wanted to leave, and tied him down to a new 5y contract. Sorted. 

Sold Milik for £35m 12 months after signing him for free. Thanks for coming. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villan-scott said:

PSG have disappeared with their interest now after Haaland bizarrely rejected the move, despite pining for it! Even after he rejected the move he wouldn’t sign a nee deal as he wanted to move to PSG. The move he just rejected. 

Then a few weeks later he dropped that he wanted to leave, and tied him down to a new 5y contract. Sorted. 

Sold Milik for £35m 12 months after signing him for free. Thanks for coming. 

Obviously on to a good thing at Dortmund.

Spurs offered £75m for Livakovic, which I accepted as only paid £14m for him 2 seasons ago. Agreed a deal for Donnarumma for £55m. Everything was agreed with Donnarumma, only had to confirm it and Livakovic rejected Spurs 🙈 so cancelled the GD deal. Shame as GD would have been better than DL and younger!

• 2 weeks later...

The Haaland & Isak double act is over. Man City wanted Isak in the January after I managed to keep Haaland. 

I don’t like Isak as much as Haaland, despite his awesome goal record for me. I’d signed Esposito to replace Haaland, so got him still as well as Kaio Jorge, and just signed Peglow from Brazil too for £10.75m release clause. 

Man City offered 72m for Isak who was valued at 65m. Rejected without any negotiation. They came back with £109m, after Isak had a moan about not be allowed to move so negotiated this time. Got 149m up front, plus £11m in instalments and a 20% sell on. Only paid just less than £30m about 2 years ago. 

Squad weren’t happy but think I’ve talked them round as they called a meeting with me, and told them money was too good to turn down and he wanted out. 

Also sold Sule for 61m after signing for £18m, so I’m in January with over £200m to spend and not anyone to really spend on. 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2021 at 18:20, villan-scott said:

The Haaland & Isak double act is over. Man City wanted Isak in the January after I managed to keep Haaland. 

I don’t like Isak as much as Haaland, despite his awesome goal record for me. I’d signed Esposito to replace Haaland, so got him still as well as Kaio Jorge, and just signed Peglow from Brazil too for £10.75m release clause. 

Man City offered 72m for Isak who was valued at 65m. Rejected without any negotiation. They came back with £109m, after Isak had a moan about not be allowed to move so negotiated this time. Got 149m up front, plus £11m in instalments and a 20% sell on. Only paid just less than £30m about 2 years ago. 

Squad weren’t happy but think I’ve talked them round as they called a meeting with me, and told them money was too good to turn down and he wanted out. 

Also sold Sule for 61m after signing for £18m, so I’m in January with over £200m to spend and not anyone to really spend on. 

Went down the f*ck it route. Signed Greenwood for a deal totalling £145m and have agreed a deal for Foden totalling £130m. Lots of incentives and future fees etc. But thought why not! Admittedly not my usual style, but they’re both exciting generational talents. 

• Like 1

Picked this up within the last couple of weeks...

Started off with Villa. Very disappointed that we have nothing to spend to begin with. Particularly when, 6 games into the season, I lose Jack for 6 months with a broken leg. Very inconsistent first season. Lost in the fa cup and league cup semi finals. 

5 games to go in the league and sit 10th, won't finish any lower but potential to finish anywhere as high as 7th.

Like the recruitment meetings, but my scouts generally do a poor job of finding players and the players mentioned in the meetings are usually poor. Going to be a tough job in the summer bringing in the relevant quality.

Taylor, hourihane, Lansbury and Elmo all leaving meaning..

Need a left back, young centre back (Collins from stoke is on my radar), central midfielder, (dahoud from Dortmund has been flagged) attacking midfielder and perhaps a winger. Could be a long summer. 

Jacob Ramsey has had an excellent loan spell at Crewe and will be integrated in the summer. Not good enough to start regularly though, need cameos and more development first. 

Playing this with this squad has made me realise how much work is still to be done on the squad in real life.

• Like 1

Made it to the Prem with Dorking, struggling. My tactic just isn't doing the job anymore, but I've invested so heavily in players with both current and potential ability to suit the positions and style I want, that I'm pretty sure that rebuilding my squad to suit a different tactic is going to result in relegation. Ugh.

A bad problem to have though, as I'm still loving the save.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

So, the transfer market. Too easy in this one? After finishing 9th in the first season and expecting a tough summer, couldn't believe what I achieved.

In:

Tonali (13m),

Badiashile (10m)

Sangare (9m)

Wober (10m)

Hlozek (11m)

Olise (9m)

Kaio Jorge (9m)

Out:

Hause (7m)

Trez (21m)

Now sit fourth and looking like champions League material. I don't know if I've done something wrong here because it just seemed far too easy. I was given 46m to spend and the with the sales, managed to get probably every position I could've wanted. I bid 21m for wijndal - it's the only bid I had rejected. The rest were negotiated to just slightly above those figures, which I negotiated down.

It looks and feels like I've just done a footie man wonderkid search and picked some off a list. I'd never heard of Jorge or badiashile before, and only bought them on scouts recommendations. Olise is someone I wanted to sign before I bought the game. Sangare was because of what I read on here. 

Has anyone else found it this easy?

I'm villa on the ipad with only the 4 English leagues loaded and it's crazy hard in the transfer market because there's hardly any regens

I'm in 2026, not done much in the league, 3rd and 4th in the last 2 seasons, I can still win at Anfield then lose 7-0 away to bottom placed forest the week after

What I have done though is the 3 year EL2, EL, CL which was awesome, EL2 was easy, CL in the knockout I beat juve, real Madrid, bayern and then Chelsea in the final, also won 2 league cups 

Phasing grealish out, he's 31 and down to 3 stars

Donnarumma

Tomiyasu regen gvardiol regen

Regen tonali

Chukwueze Ramsey bynoe gittens

Darwin nunez

Bench - Gravenberch, adeyemi, grealish, 

Sold Kamara for big money, turning down £100m bids for my 20 year old Dutch regen CM, did sell Ramsey and buy naci unuvar but Ramsey was good for England so I swapped that back round at about a £20m loss, struggling for full backs, sold ugarte to real Madrid for £80m

I'm also England manager, went on a 36 game win streak, including beating Lithuania 17-0, then lost the nations league final! The attacking talent is insane, Greenwood and Curtis Jones at psg, Jones is the best player in the world

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

So, the transfer market. Too easy in this one? After finishing 9th in the first season and expecting a tough summer, couldn't believe what I achieved.

In:

Tonali (13m),

Badiashile (10m)

Sangare (9m)

Wober (10m)

Hlozek (11m)

Olise (9m)

Kaio Jorge (9m)

Out:

Hause (7m)

Trez (21m)

Now sit fourth and looking like champions League material. I don't know if I've done something wrong here because it just seemed far too easy. I was given 46m to spend and the with the sales, managed to get probably every position I could've wanted. I bid 21m for wijndal - it's the only bid I had rejected. The rest were negotiated to just slightly above those figures, which I negotiated down.

It looks and feels like I've just done a footie man wonderkid search and picked some off a list. I'd never heard of Jorge or badiashile before, and only bought them on scouts recommendations. Olise is someone I wanted to sign before I bought the game. Sangare was because of what I read on here. 

Has anyone else found it this easy?

I just started up a career at Hertha. Was given about 22m to spend. Went in for Wober as I brought him in FM20 in my Villa save, was quoted 61m plus add ons by RB...

5 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I just started up a career at Hertha. Was given about 22m to spend. Went in for Wober as I brought him in FM20 in my Villa save, was quoted 61m plus add ons by RB...

Which is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting. What have I done to make it so easy?

I got tonali for under £15m on mine too, Milan didn't loan to buy him 

But most of my other signings are expensive and I have to spread the money across future payments and bonuses 

Thing that pisses me off is donnarumma, Milan want £90m from me but he rejects the contract still gets unhappy though so they sell him to utd for £50m...a year later I bought from utd for £70m, the selling club always accept lower offers from other clubs

And does anyone know all the 16 year olds that you can approach to sign at the start of the game? 

Bynoe gittens has been a star for me, I've seen papetti but every time I've gone for him psg or City have got him, there's an Italian CM called something like Rovella whos good, gavi at barca seems to have signed a deal with them 

13 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Which is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting. What have I done to make it so easy?

Are you playing the full version? I guess you are 12 months in...several variables in play by then.

Â