• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 29)
    • Elmohamady (Cash 67)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/20 at 23:59

I think Smith was confused after the Leeds game and we looked like carrying that into the game. We handed them the initiative thinking we could control the game and break effectively on the counter - which we couldn't.

Better second half where we played with more desperation and aggression.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Because at 93 minutes we were 4-1 down, and it could have been more. We were rubbish, please dont it let the score paper over two very poor performances at home.

It could’ve also been 4-5. Don’t let two poor results paper over some good performances and a solid start to the season.

• Like 1

4-3 flatters us because, despite having ended the game with more shots, it was only after Saints took their foot off the gas that we got moving. A better team, maintaining their focus, would have strolled that with another few goals. They possibly underestimated our ability to do so but, based on the game, it was probably fair! Two late goals really makes it look closer than it was, they were seeing that out after the hour and being 4 up.

The midfield, despite gaving effectively five in there, looked over run. I don't see that passion or fight from any of our players. No one really hassles. We're, once again, losing the fight before skill even comes in to it.

Looking over all the games so far, I'd say we look like we'll probably be safe but I doubt we're really a top half team. Liverpool all came together but every other game hasn't exactly been impressive.

• Like 2

There is a massive difference losing that game 4-0 and losing 4-3, the game was lost in the first half but the reaction was encouraging. Last season we lose that by 6.

Kudos has to be given to Smith for changing the formation at half time.

Loads can be taken from that second half, the main point being that we need to play high tempo constantly, we are a different team when playing at pace.

We lost that game due to a team that knew where to get its free kicks. They had 4 shots on target all day.

• Like 4

My opinion, others are available.

We still can't get the physicality balance right. Leeds and Saints pressed hard and quick. Our players can't cope with that. If we try and do the same we give away free kicks. Today's ref didn't seem very balanced with what he gave us either.

Their goals came from:

1 a free kick given against Targett where he didn't touch the player and the ball had already gone.

2 Douglas making a challenge on the edge of the box where he couldn't just let the player run past him. Then a world class FK.

3 Us being caught out pushing forward leaving Cash out of position and forcing him to get anything on the ball to stop it getting to an open on goal Walcott. Then another great FK which would have been blocked by Mings not being rooted for some reason.

4 Ings with a fantastic strike like one of Grealish's best from the left.

We were much improved 2nd half once we got up to the pace of the game but nothing fell for us in the same way as it did against Liverpool. Blocks and interceptions stopped us getting back into right up until the last few minutes.

I wonder if Elmo is better than Cash at the moment and perhaps bringing Grealish into the centre in place of McGinn to have Trezeguet and Traore on the wings is worth a go.

We should be able to play much better against arsenal because they don't press like Leeds or Saints.

• Like 1

Why does it take a half time bollocking and the opposition to take their foot off the gas for the Villa players to show intensity?

Awful first half performance and if Southampton hadn't played the second half in third gear then it would have been an embarrassment.

Villa still can't play two halves of football consistently well enough which is a repeat of last season. If this continues much longer then Smith's position will come under scrutiny.

• Like 1

yes we improved second half, but the match was won. Terrible from Smith and the second half better not paper over the cracks. We can't just completely capitulate and throw in the towel like we did again today. 

Yes were're in a good position after 6 games, but I guess the last 2 games are more likely to shape our season. We played out of our skin against Liverpool, great solid smash and grab against Leicester. Sheffield United was poor, today an Leeds were pathetic. Fulham were there for the taking and we gave them a lot of chnaces to get back into the game. I'm really pissed off at the lack of fight - the manager has to take this one on the jaw for me. 

It's simply just not good enough and if we have any more spells like this and Leeds I want serious questions being asked of Smith

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Because at 93 minutes we were 4-1 down, and it could have been more. We were rubbish, please dont it let the score paper over two very poor performances at home.

We had some very good chances and their keeper made some good saves. Everytime they shot they scored. It's a freak occurrence.

However we need to focus on being boring and hard to beat again. Trezeguet has to start. Id look to bring Nakamba in too as his presence will solidify us.

17 minutes ago, Farlz said:

So basically we can't play against a press and if we concede first our heads drop and we collapse. I was fully expecting today to be tough, for whatever reason Saints batter us every season. Just disappointing giving away them cheap goals. 

Arsenal next isn't ideal. 4 wins in a row could quickly turn into 3 defeats in a row. 

In a nutshell, and its been so for such a long time too.

• Like 2

Oh as for the game, Grealish was still busy so maybe a 6.5,7. Trez was really good surprsingly, so a 7, 7.5. rest of them were really poor.  Traore/Cash/ Mings/ Konsa/ Barkeley/ Luiz/McGinn/ Watkins all 3s. Awful.

Edited by commander
typo

One thing Bielsa said after the Leeds game which was interesting "our group has been together longer so they know their roles instinctively." 

Our group however has had a massive overhaul in the last 3 seasons. Southampton and Leeds are along with Liverscum the most energetic teams in the league. Leeds play man to man and Southampton are gegenpressing like liverscum. 

We're gonna be inconsistent until the players are truly used to each other.

Trezeguet has to start though his legs are important.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, commander said:

yes we improved second half, but the match was won. Terrible from Smith and the second half better not paper over the cracks. We can't just completely capitulate and throw in the towel like we did again today. 

Yes were're in a good position after 6 games, but I guess the last 2 games are more likely to shape our season. We played out of our skin against Liverpool, great solid smash and grab against Leicester. Sheffield United was poor, today an Leeds were pathetic. Fulham were there for the taking and we gave them a lot of chnaces to get back into the game. I'm really pissed off at the lack of fight - the manager has to take this one on the jaw for me. 

It's simply just not good enough and if we have any more spells like this and Leeds I want serious questions being asked of Smith

does this team get really driven in training? they look like lard arses in comparison....Danny Ings running around at 0-3 up closing down and looking to get his foot in, just like LEEDS did.....9 days to prepare for this?

• Like 1

Â