• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 29)
    • Elmohamady (Cash 67)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/20 at 23:59

Just now, osmark86 said:

just how? 3-4? we had more chances.

we had 10 shots on target (19 total) to their 4 shots on target (9 total). what are you on about?

We were poor, they took their foot off the gas having completely battered us in the first half.

Only Trez play well, we failed to get Watkins involved all game, we have done that for about 14 months now, and we have conceded 7 in two games, and only luck has meant it hasn’t been worse. That’s the worry. 

The positives are we only gave away a single goal in GD, and Trez’s performance.

• Like 2

First Half - 0.5 out of 10.

Second half 6.5 - 7/10. We really are a Jekyll and Hyde side. Positives, we still have a game on hand on most teams, and the second half showed we are totally tripe. 

I feel for Watkins, as most of our other strikers, isolated and zero support due to our system.

The best Game plan for teams against us, should just be to get at us early, as we are usually sleeping for the first 45.

Trezeguet MOTM for me. His energy was sorely missing, and on another day he could have had 2 or 3 goals. However those 3 goals cover up some cracks in this squad. First hour we had no energy, intensity, didn't offer much at all, were sloppy, lazy and really hadn't done our homework on Southampton at all. To give stupid free kicks away so central when Ward-Prowse is know for his free kick prowess is naieve or simply careless.

Scoreline definitely flattered us. The idiocy was the free kicks we gave away against the team with the best set piece taker in the league. Our midfield, especially McGinn and Luiz, waa awful today. Completely lost the battle. 

I was pleased with the spirit shown in the last 30 minutes. 

We'll be down fighting in the bottom half this season. 

That was very very poor. However, one of those games where every shot they had they scored. 

We really need a big reaction after these last two results.

Imagine this team without Jack Grealish. At least we showed a bit of fight in the last 30 minutes - start of last season we would have just accepted defeat.

3 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Trez made a big difference but can't see really how anyone can give someone other than Jack MOTM. Maybe it's just because we know pretty much everything goes through him, but as usual he was instrumental (once we actually started to play).

Mings had a shocking first half but was better in the second. As I said in the match thread, he's a good player and leader but becomes far too complacent at times. His relaxed attitude can be a good thing but he needs to be 100% focused all the time. Not jumping against a Ward-Prowse free kick is criminal.

McGinn was poor again. Still pushes and has the ability to turn into space but when he's shut down, it takes him out of the game.

Douglas Luiz was far from his best in the first half but improved second.

There's a player in Cash but he's not there yet. Was left exposed again at times which makes it more difficult for him though.

Strange to say we were unlucky given our second half and the stats, but a woeful first half performance cost us.

If he gets injured we are shafted. The boy is actually brilliant. 

The scoreline looked a lot better at 96 minutes than at 50 but the weird thing is there was never any sense that Southampton were under real pressure even when we started scoring.

I made Mings MOTM because for a lot of the match he looked like the only one who was bothered and even started playing centre forward in the second half. Trezeguet was good as well. 

It was worrying how easily Southampton sliced through our midfield time and time again.

So, we have to recover against Arsenal. Wonder what are the chances?

• Like 2

Just now, thunderball said:

We were poor, they took their foot off the gas having completely battered us in the first half.

Only Trez play well, we failed to get Watkins involved all game, we have done that for about 14 months now, and we have conceded 7 in two games, and only luck has meant it hasn’t been worse. That’s the worry. 

The positives are we only gave away a single goal in GD, and Trez’s performance.

Fair play and I agree that we were completely battered in the first half and that needs to be addressed. I just don't think the score line flattered anyone. As much as we were battered in the first half we still only conceded 4 shots on target and all of those shots went in. That happens and it's frustrating, but we battled our way back into the game and showed a lot of spirit in the second half. All in all I'm disappointed, but I'm encouraged by the second half.

Another 10mins we would have got a draw or maybe even a win, can’t blame smith on this when the 1st 3 goals was all down to stupid free kicks given away

Would like to see Guilbert or elmohamady start next game as thought cash had another poor game on the back of being done all game by Harrison against Leeds 

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

How?

Because at 93 minutes we were 4-1 down, and it could have been more. We were rubbish, please dont it let the score paper over two very poor performances at home.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

Can’t start the game 4-0 down but we were much the better team second half.  Can’t believe they basically had 4 shots on target and 4 goals.  Trez was very unlucky not to be on the score sheet but our first half killed us, it was pathetic but I take some heart the second half had us somewhat back and fighting.

So much to work on though, second half against Leeds and first half against the saints has been pathetic.  As I said after 4 games, I still see us more a 14th place team than 6th because we still have many issues and growth that is needed.

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I made Mings MOTM because for a lot of the match he looked like the only one who was bothered and even started playing centre forward in the second half.

Nothing he did makes up for failing to jump for the second FK. 

• Like 1

Tactically there's so much stuff that just bewilders me that I cba to adress it. 

Grealish is once again a class above mind. 

Feel for Traore, whatever it was. 

It's hard to do anything with those shots and goals, but I wish we had better tactical decisions. 

• Like 1

The doom mongers are out en force, as per usual when we lose a game. 

Made too many mistakes first half, and got badly punished for it. We're not as bad as these last few results suggest, just as we weren't as good as the first 4 games made us look. 

We need to approach different opponents, with different tactics. Our high pressing game isn't really my cup of tea, but what do I know. 

Also McGinn needs to find some consistency. He was utterly shit today. 

• Like 1

At half time I said we had to go out and win the second half. We did that so the players and coaches deserve credit for that. 

The reality of that game is they scored with every shot on target they had and had another 2 goals correctly ruled out. 

We had 10 shots on target and but for some great goalkeeping we would have taken at least a point. So many positives to take. 

• Like 1

Â