• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 29)
    • Elmohamady (Cash 67)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/20 at 23:59

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's true we had no luck today and they were super clinical, but it's imperative we don't make excuses now.

We were shite. Accept it. Own it and improve. 

They will know the first half wasn't acceptable. I can tell the players knew that because they fought a lot more in the second half. I think after our first goal we played some really nice attacking stuff at times. We just need to start games like that and cut out the silly free kicks in dangerous places.

Only managed to see the goals so can't really comment too much on the performance, but always felt there would be goals in the game but was hoping we would be the ones to nick it. At 0-4 it was looking very embarrassing, but least we restored some pride back. They really have hit us with some wonderful goals today. It seems to be all or nothing with some fans with not much middle ground. I've heard how Watkins is the absolute real deal but has (for me) been poor in a fair few games. Same with Cash. Probably because they are new players. Barkley was an absolute steal. But now he's lazy and not good enough. I think fans can get carried away. Trez was poor against Leeds. I think it was the right call not to start him. But by all accounts he's come on and done really well. This is what we get with a lot of our players. Inconsistencies. But there all good players, who will have good and bad games. Bottom line is weve 12 points from 18. We ALL would have taken that right now. We just need to keep working hard on the training ground and fix the problems that are happening on the field. Us as fans need to have patience weve come a long way in a short space of time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Slightly disappointing result but ultimately it was only what we deserved. It seemed to me that we had pretty much no idea how to beat Southampton, we were aimless and just going through the motions and ended up 4-0 down as a result. While it was nice to have a bit of a fightback, I think it was more a result of Southampton easing off than Villa getting going.

I think we lost the game in the tactical battle. Smith's tactics seem to be to allow the opposition to control the ball and remain as compact as possible at the back, while hitting teams on the transition with a quick counter-attack. The problem is that when we have players making individual mistakes it leaves us so exposed and the silly fouls we committed on the edge of the box for both free kicks are points in case. And going forwards, while the players we have are quick, we aren't playing quickly. Much of that is on Jack, as good as he is, he does dither on the edge of the box too much in my opinion. I wish he could be more incisive and burst into the box with the ball because not only does it allow defenders to get organised but they can quickly surround Grealish before he can do anything with the ball.

I think there is a lot to learn again from today's game, but there is no need to panic. It's still early in the season and I'm sure Smith, the coaching staff and the data team will be able to see where we need to improve most.

the players make individual mistakes, because we allow them to pressurize us and we don't do it back.....its been in our Dna for some time.......I thought in the first 4 games we had conquered it.

I think the balance of players to help us with that are not in the squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

So, we can only play well when the opposition's energy is gone? Or when the opponent's play into our hands?

If what you put in bold is the case, how did Southampton keep a clean sheet for the final half hour against Everton, when their energy had gone? Absolutely ridiculous claim.

Listen, were all frustrated, but just a couple of weeks ago you said yourself that you hoped there wouldn't be an over reaction to a bad performance or 2. Well, here we are, a couple of poor performances, and the over reaction is mind boggling. The Leeds result was far more worrying than this.

Different game, different team structure, silly comparison.

I think we struggle to play effectivley against teams who play a high pressing game like Southampton or Leeds.....we was out fought and denied any fluency for us to get in the game, when it mattered.

you either see that or you don't.

No the Leeds performace was not more worrying, just worrying like this one and there is no over reaction, just a reaction.

Yes we are all frustrated....I am just trying to illustrate what went wrong.....if you can't accept constructive criticism, I can't help you.

5 hours ago, onmeedson said:

Most teams when they build start with the defence first, we were only interested in forwards and spent the money there. This team has needed a leader for quite some time, we made do with our best player and left the defence to a bunch of ball watchers who's reaction rate is as quick as paint drying. With a leader come's organization and responsibility, what happen's  in training is a mystery because no one know's their job's and we are picked apart far to easily. The only decent thing today was Southampton got on the team bus at half time, job done.

wise observer imo....totally spot on.

• Like 1

The bare requirement of any football game is that you match the intensity of the opposition. We only matched theirs when they had scored 4 unanswered and clocked off.

This was the worst performance I've seen since Chelsea post lockdown. We were simply passive and watching the game roll by. Poor positioning by Konsa, Cash and Luiz cost us big time. Barkley did his best to be un-involved and often just turned the ball over when in acres of space (take a look at their 4th again).

And the 3 late goals mean little - Southampton were already back on the bus.

After the last 2 losses, the way to beat us is now obvious: Press our defensive line. Though we try it, we simply cannot play out from the back and resort to long balls forward. Luiz and McGinn got sore necks watching the ball sail over them in the first half.

Oh, and the other thing you can do is concede throw-ins. We just give it straight back to you.

9 hours ago, thunderball said:

A routine loss for us, things look back to normal.

Smith needs to pick it up or he will be the fall guy.

We are one dimensional, everything through Grealish down the LHS, dont get our forwards involved. Too little too late, arguably when they were comfortable as well.

Squad thread bare.

Much to do. For me we don’t improve unless we get 3 quality additions, and sad to say, a better Manager too.

We win our game in hand and go second...

Dear oh dear

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YLN said:

We win our game in hand and go second...

Dear oh dear

Last chance we get to say this I reckon, like last season, it’s only because others are tripping up not because we’ve been so good.

Lets hope we do win and kick on. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Only managed to see the goals so can't really comment too much on the performance, but always felt there would be goals in the game but was hoping we would be the ones to nick it. At 0-4 it was looking very embarrassing, but least we restored some pride back. They really have hit us with some wonderful goals today. It seems to be all or nothing with some fans with not much middle ground. I've heard how Watkins is the absolute real deal but has (for me) been poor in a fair few games. Same with Cash. Probably because they are new players. Barkley was an absolute steal. But now he's lazy and not good enough. I think fans can get carried away. Trez was poor against Leeds. I think it was the right call not to start him. But by all accounts he's come on and done really well. This is what we get with a lot of our players. Inconsistencies. But there all good players, who will have good and bad games. Bottom line is weve 12 points from 18. We ALL would have taken that right now. We just need to keep working hard on the training ground and fix the problems that are happening on the field. Us as fans need to have patience weve come a long way in a short space of time. 

Agree with Watkins, he's not really played great in any of his games bar Liverpool, and it's not like he's 21. Cash I've been impressed with but seems to have had a bad couple of games. 

We have still had an amazing start. It's just a shame as Leeds and soton are totally winnable games and it genuinely feels like rather than being beaten by better teams it's like we've blown it with our attitude or application and just sheer bad luck too - I mean it's the first time for 5 years two direct free kicks have been scored in a game and the first goal was set up by a foul throw. That guy could well not score another free kick all season. 

I hope we get back to winning ways soon. 4 wins 2 losses in a pattern all season will be great!

• Like 1

Big picture we are still doing well this season based on expectations, but the last two games have been incredibly disappointing. Both have too many similarities to last season. Team needs to find ways to win against pressing teams. I'm not on the smith out train, but whatever tactical changes he's making in the last two games are not working. People here love to shoot down those who say he has no plan b. But if he does have one its as ineffectual as his plan a currently. Hope the team can pull out of this poor form before we start sliding down the table.

As gutting but yet expected as that loss was today there is little you can do to stop some of their shots today (Debatable Mings non-leap aside). Southampton are deffo our new Bogey team as we never seem to turn up against them and almost every shot they have against us goes in. Reminds me of Leicester many years ago, they were our bogey team for ages i seem to remember.

Hopefully the 3 goal rally will start an upward curve which continues all through the Arsenal game.

Still time to turn this into a very good season but these porous perfomances need to stop now.

At the end of the day it was individual errors that cost us that match. it wasnt the same as the Leeds match where we were second best for much as it. First three goals we gifted them. Free header and giving away freekicks just outside the box against when they have one of the most deadly set piece takers in the game. Other than that we would have won. 

On 01/11/2020 at 14:10, vreitti said:

The doom mongers are out en force, as per usual when we lose a game. 

Made too many mistakes first half, and got badly punished for it. We're not as bad as these last few results suggest, just as we weren't as good as the first 4 games made us look. 

We need to approach different opponents, with different tactics. Our high pressing game isn't really my cup of tea, but what do I know. 

Also McGinn needs to find some consistency. He was utterly shit today. 

Agreed. Maybe give him a rest, push Luiz up and put Nakamba in as the holding midfield.

One thing that did frustrate me was DS's reluctance to make changes. Maybe the delivery of Hourihane or the power of Davis might have brought a change. I know the Trez change was forced and I understand taking Cash off as he looked like getting a second yellow. But I'd have thought Conor/ Davis for McGinn might have given us something different. 

Anyway looking forward to Arsenal now, going to be a tough game as they are playing well and look well organised. 

• Like 1

tbh all these posts about the team not knowing how to play against pressing teams or not enough money spent on defence or so and so should be playing here or new players not being good enough. tbh i just think our squad got over confident and started thinking they're better than they are.  I hoped Leeds was a lesson but it looks like they didn't learn it.  I'm hoping smith got into them at half time and reminded them the only way we get results in this division is by staying tight and working hard.  last season we nearly went down.  we've improved slightly but still need to fight tooth and nail to finish mid table.  day dreaming about top 6 and best starts is pointless.  wake up, concentrate and work hard before we find ourselves in the bottom 6.

Edited by tezzaleed

Â