• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 29)
    • Elmohamady (Cash 67)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/20 at 23:59

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Because they changed the way they approach games and their signings since reflect that.when players run and run and run, its easy to think they are better, but its commitment and competiveness and it gives players an edge......ours had no edge.

Like you, I am not trying to say I expected this.....but I did.....I felt that with 9 days prep, I might be wrong, but I wasn't......this team dosen't run with conviction anywhere close to enough, particularly in stopping the oppositions passages of play.

There is nothing to panic about, its clear to any discerning fan what we are.....but scoring 3 goals does not distract from that in my view.

we are work in progress and i hope we sign players next with a view to dealing with these issues better.

I didn't know what the score would be, I just knew what the dynamics of the game would be and i was right, sadly.....having said all of that......3 set pieces were the moments that drove the nail in....2 stupid and clumsy fouls pave the way for them.

Yes, we are a work in progress, we keep adding quality that bodes well. But it would be nice to see an improvement since the beginning of last season. The last 4 games of last season and the start of this I thought it had clicked. Two poor performances and results is too soon to say it hasnt, but we need to stop shipping goals and redicover the recipe of our previous imporvement. 

Nothing takes away the fact that when our best 11 is having an off day we can't affect the game as our bench is so weak.

Its all on Smith at the moment, he has had significant backing and all eyes are on him to demonstrate he has the answers and can make these players perform. The talent is there, the fear of being dropped isnt, nor is the intensity we need to display. You would think that Leeds should have taught us a lesson.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Anyone saying we shouldn't be giving those free kicks away, what do you think Douglas should have done when Walcott (I think) was running past to the edge of the area? Let him past? People would be up in arms if he had.

Then should Cash be leaving a ball to go straight through to Walcott through on goal? Or should he be taking the foul?

You have to give fouls away sometimes. The balance of probability is that you'll be able to defend it easier than a player through on goal. Unfortunately sometimes really good players score free kicks.

or make a better fist of getting your foot in or your body better positioned to disrupt play, i.e reading the game.....we are lightweight in challenges at times, it needs to be worked on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s only on a year ago that Leicester beat Southampton 9-0. But look at the transformation by sticking with their management and improving their squad. It’s something that we should be aspiring towards, specially off of the back of one of the best transfer windows we’ve had in many years. There’s a lot of ability and character in this squad. We just faced better opposition who hold a great record against us. The Villa of old would have sunk further. But we fought back and almost took a point. It just shows the progress amid our own mistakes. It’s a work in progress, but we are still a world away from the side of last year. 

but look how Ralph has transormed them from a push over... to a high pressing team that nullifys the oppositions talents.

They are a durable all round solid team, with talent to hurt teams.....like Leeds they have an ability to run all day and fight for every ball.....we don't do that with anywhere near the same conviction.

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not with the same aggression or intensity.....it was a carbon copy of the Leeds game for me.

We were totally out pointed again.....second to most balls and closed down with conviction when we had it.....every time we got the ball, they came out the traps with a fierce close down, in contrast we just stood off, just craving for space.

Their first goal ....what was McGinn doing marking vestergard what a mis match, where is the ingame management...

Only when the game was lost and their energy lapsed did we start playing.......simply not good enough.

So, we can only play well when the opposition's energy is gone? Or when the opponent's play into our hands?

If what you put in bold is the case, how did Southampton keep a clean sheet for the final half hour against Everton, when their energy had gone? Absolutely ridiculous claim.

Listen, were all frustrated, but just a couple of weeks ago you said yourself that you hoped there wouldn't be an over reaction to a bad performance or 2. Well, here we are, a couple of poor performances, and the over reaction is mind boggling. The Leeds result was far more worrying than this.

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Yes, we are a work in progress, we keep adding quality that bodes well. But it would be nice to see an improvement since the beginning of last season. The last 4 games of last season and the start of this I thought it had clicked. Two poor performances and results is too soon to say it hasnt, but we need to stop shipping goals and redicover the recipe of our previous imporvement. 

Nothing takes away the fact that when our best 11 is having an off day we can't affect the game as our bench is so weak.

Its all on Smith at the moment, he has had significant backing and all eyes are on him to demonstrate he has the answers and can make these players perform. The talent is there, the fear of being dropped isnt, nor is the intensity we need to display. You would think that Leeds should have taught us a lesson.

For me....I don't think our training is anywhere close to what Leeds and Southampton are subjected to.....our own Ron Saunders, used to drive them hard, and attract moody comments from the likes of Morley, but that was tempered by results......We don't look driven enough for me.

Most teams when they build start with the defence first, we were only interested in forwards and spent the money there. This team has needed a leader for quite some time, we made do with our best player and left the defence to a bunch of ball watchers who's reaction rate is as quick as paint drying. With a leader come's organization and responsibility, what happen's  in training is a mystery because no one know's their job's and we are picked apart far to easily. The only decent thing today was Southampton got on the team bus at half time, job done.

• Like 1

On a side note, of all the players that always score against us, Southampton have had a fair few.

Le Tissier, Long, Ings, Walcott, Shearer....

Beattie?

Sod it, I'm off to play football manager, where results are more consistent. (Which is why I'm bottom of the league)

23 minutes ago, Nigel said:

He played 2 different tactics today, which were both different from how we opened against leeds. 

And which of those tactics involved focusing on being solid at the back, I get what you say, but I suppose I am generalising on the overall game, and many great managers have said play with the focus being on not loosing, its no good playing in a way that your mainly focused on scoring at the expence of being exposed at the back, if a team scors 3 goals at home and still get beat it is obvious where they are going wrong, and its hard to fix it with an attack minded manager, all the TV pundist said this about Villa for most of last season, and it's happening again.

4 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

On a side note, of all the players that always score against us, Southampton have had a fair few.

Le Tissier, Long, Ings, Walcott, Shearer....

Beattie?

Sod it, I'm off to play football manager, where results are more consistent. (Which is why I'm bottom of the league)

To be fair through Shearer used to score against everyone, it wasn’t just us. 

Mgginn jack barkley watkins ( due to being isolated) for 70 minutes were none existent again.

Positioning all wrong, bad decision making poor passing left us with pass back to mings to hoof it.

Where has the playing the ball, midfielders showing and moving it on gone ?

Bizarre we can play decent football in one game and then look like they have never played the next.

Trez unlucky 3 or 4 times today. Another show by traore that hasn't impressed.

Either we start off slow and pedestrian which sees us concede 3 or 4 goals or we start positive and win. There's no middle ground it seems.

• Like 1

Anyone think the problem lies in the fact the team picks itself?

1st XI are assured of their  starting position and subconsciously may feel that they don’t have to fight as hard. 

I didn’t watch the game but when trez came on he was on of our best players. Gets dropped, comes on and gives it his all.

im not saying wholesale changes are needed, however I think the team needs a reminder that no one is guaranteed a starting place and can’t live of their name alone.

• Like 2

First goal wasn't a foul for the free kick. The second and third were silly free kicks to give away with Ward-Prowse on the opposition.

Second half we played some really good stuff and could quite easily have scored 4 or 5. Showed a lot of fight in the second half so I'd say there were lots of positives to take.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its not great stats that in the last 2 games combined we have faced 13 shots on target and from that we have conceded 7 goals.

I’m struggling to think of many saves from Martinez

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

First goal wasn't a foul for the free kick. The second and third were silly free kicks to give away with Ward-Prowse on the opposition.

Second half we played some really good stuff and could quite easily have scored 4 or 5. Showed a lot of fight in the second half so I'd say there were lots of positives to take.

It's true we had no luck today and they were super clinical, but it's imperative we don't make excuses now.

We were shite. Accept it. Own it and improve. 

• Like 1

Â