Nobby Stiles

John

Sad to hear that we have lost another World Cup winner this afternoon. Norbert “Nobby” Stiles has passed away today (aged 78) following a long battle with illness. Nobby suffered a minor stroke in 2010, and was later diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and prostate cancer.

Nobby was a vital cog in both the England and Manchester United teams that lifted the World Cup in 1966 and the European Cup in 1968. Nobby was a real hard man, who was able to mark (sometimes literally) an opponent out of a game. He did so notably well when marking Eusebio in the World Cup semi-final. He will always be fondly remembered for his joyous victory jig after the 66 Final.

Sir Alf now has 7 of “the boys of 66” up there with him. My thoughts are with his family. RIP Nobby!   

image.jpeg.fa5769d237426193aa571bec1c926b5a.jpeg image.jpeg.900f2053a960b55334156fed740b5faa.jpeg image.jpeg.bf9b712a324211b55fda9ce32042ab4e.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes was just talking to a mate when the news broke. Just George Cohen, Geoff Hurst, Bobby Charlton and Roger Hunt left from the 11. Nobby was never a great player but you ask him to mark a teams best player and he would do the job better than anyone. He must have  only weighed about 7 stone as well. RIP 

Loved this from his obituary in The Times today: 

Ramsey had singled out Stiles to be the side’s chief ball-winner, and his duel with Portugal’s Eusebio in the semi-final ended in a victory for the Englishman and tears of frustration for the Portuguese star who was regarded as one of the world’s best players. “Nobby, I want you to take Eusebio out of the game,” Ramsey had told him in the dressing-room beforehand. “Do you mean for life, Alf?” Stiles asked. In the dressing-room afterwards, Ramsey called for Stiles to be given a special round of applause.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

Loved this from his obituary in The Times today: 

Ramsey had singled out Stiles to be the side’s chief ball-winner, and his duel with Portugal’s Eusebio in the semi-final ended in a victory for the Englishman and tears of frustration for the Portuguese star who was regarded as one of the world’s best players. “Nobby, I want you to take Eusebio out of the game,” Ramsey had told him in the dressing-room beforehand. “Do you mean for life, Alf?” Stiles asked. In the dressing-room afterwards, Ramsey called for Stiles to be given a special round of applause.

I wonder if we would have capitulated like we did in the 1970 world up against West Germany if Nobby had of been fit to play. He did a job on Eusebio in the 1968 european cup final too. He was a nasty little player. You cant tackle like that any more.  I bet Alf would have got him to nobble Pele in the game against Brazil. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

I wonder if we would have capitulated like we did in the 1970 world up against West Germany if Nobby had of been fit to play. He did a job on Eusebio in the 1968 european cup final too. He was a nasty little player. You cant tackle like that any more.  I bet Alf would have got him to nobble Pele in the game against Brazil. 

Yes, I'm sure he could have done a job on Beckenbauer in that quarter final, thus freeing up Bobby Charlton. I thought Mullery was first choice in 70 with Nobby selected as back up, rather than him being injured though?

We missed Banks too in that quarter final and those substitutions, although understandable given the playing conditions and with one eye on the semi (we didn't reach) did for us. :(

2 hours ago, John said:

Yes, I'm sure he could have done a job on Beckenbauer in that quarter final, thus freeing up Bobby Charlton. I thought Mullery was first choice in 70 with Nobby selected as back up, rather than him being injured though?

We missed Banks too in that quarter final and those substitutions, although understandable given the playing conditions and with one eye on the semi (we didn't reach) did for us. :(

Not sure it was mentioned he was injured but yes Mullery was a very good player. 

• Like 1

Â