Weekends Football 30 & 31 October/1 November

andykeenan

Just now, One For The Road said:

I was replying to someone who said they wanted a draw in the Liverpool v West Ham game. Whilst I agree that we need to take care of our own business, its obvious that we will be far closer in the table to West Ham than Liverpool come May. Hence why Liverpool beating West Ham is a good result for us. 

You never know Liverpool might get a few more injuries to key players and we could end up closer to them than you think. With the extended season, the short break and with them being in the champions league a lot of teams will suffer. Not forgetting the stupid international breaks. 

After seven games last season West Ham had 12 points and Bournemouth had 11 points, they were both in the top eight. West Ham survived but only because of a very good run at the end of the season, and Bournemouth went down. For us West Ham and similar teams losing games is a good thing, as there's still a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog way to go.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You never know Liverpool might get a few more injuries to key players and we could end up closer to them than you think. With the extended season, the short break and with them being in the champions league a lot of teams will suffer. Not forgetting the stupid international breaks. 

No matter what happens, there is no way in a billion years that we will be looking at the table at the end of the season wishing West Ham had beaten Liverpool. 

We may not finish 30 points behind Liverpool but I'd bet my life it will be at LEAST 20 and I'd probably bet most of what I own that they will be at least 25 points ahead of us. 

West Ham however, are a team we may be able to finish above. Its really no comparison.

20 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No matter what happens, there is no way in a billion years that we will be looking at the table at the end of the season wishing West Ham had beaten Liverpool. 

We may not finish 30 points behind Liverpool but I'd bet my life it will be at LEAST 20 and I'd probably bet most of what I own that they will be at least 25 points ahead of us. 

West Ham however, are a team we may be able to finish above. Its really no comparison.

probably be the same people then jumping on the managers back if we dont finish close to Liverpool

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

probably be the same people then jumping on the managers back if we dont finish close to Liverpool

As impressive as our win over them was, its fair to say that everything went our way that day and it'll never happen again. Not like that. 

And yet because of it, people have gone over the top with expectations. This weekend, like every weekend, I hope for a Villa win and for the "big 6" to smash the lesser sides, whilst everyone else draws.

Until such time that we ourselves can compete with said big 6, I will continue this train of thought.

Edited by One For The Road

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I doubt very much that anybody will jump on the managers back if we don't finish close to Liverpool. You can hope though cant you. Whats the point otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

No matter what happens, there is no way in a billion years that we will be looking at the table at the end of the season wishing West Ham had beaten Liverpool

Nobody was saying this, though.   A couple of us said a draw would have been the best result.   It's early in a crazy season that looks to hold a few surprises and, at the moment, they're both rivals.   The fewer total points earned by rivals, the better for us.   A draw is 2 points total going to rivals, a victory for Liverpool is 3.  West Ham have looked very good at times this season.   They could well finish 10 or more points above us.   The least likely scenario is us and West Ham fighting each other to avoid the last relegation spot, so I'm not bothered by them getting a point.   All I know is they were both rivals when the game was at 1-1 and would still be after tomorrow regardless of what Villa do.   If we lose, perhaps that's Liverpool pulling away now, but I'd rather have kept them within a point or two as long as possible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Nobody was saying this, though.   A couple of us said a draw would have been the best result.   It's early in a crazy season that looks to hold a few surprises and, at the moment, they're both rivals.   The fewer total points earned by rivals, the better for us.   A draw is 2 points total going to rivals, a victory for Liverpool is 3.  West Ham have looked very good at times this season.   They could well finish 10 or more points above us.   The least likely scenario is us and West Ham fighting each other to avoid the last relegation spot, so I'm not bothered by them getting a point.   All I know is they were both rivals when the game was at 1-1 and would still be after tomorrow regardless of what Villa do.   If we lose, perhaps that's Liverpool pulling away now, but I'd rather have kept them within a point or two as long as possible.

Liverpool are not our rivals in any way whatsoever if we are talking about final league standings. No way would West Ham getting a draw have been good for Villa. Liverpool won and thank goodness for that. They have taken points of one of our actual rivals. West Ham.

• Like 1

It would have been nice to know that if we win today, we could have gone top for a few hours at least with game(s) in hand. That late Liverpool goal makes that impossible now. Draw would have been best for us. West Ham just took 8 points off teams you wouldnt have expected them to, so come the end of the season will you be cursing Wolves, Leicester, Spurs or City for giving points to our “rival”? This early in the season why are we gauging who our rival will be in midtable? We should be enjoying our fantastic start and hoping to keep pace at the top. Dropped points by both West Ham and Liverpool is surely better if we win and gain 2 more than both of them in any game week. When the final 6 fixtures are on the horizon you can start to see where you and your rivals in your vicinity of the table can finish. Then its worth worrying about them picking up unexpected results. Not at the start. If we finish 14th or 13th by virtue of West Ham gaining a draw at Liverpool I dont think many fans or our owners would care too much.

Â