Weekends Football 30 & 31 October/1 November

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Anyone wanting West Ham to get something from this game because they think Liverpool are a rival, is in cloud cookoo land. Liverpool will finish at least 30 points ahead of us and West Ham are a clear rival.

Rival for a mid table position? 

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We’re going for the title mate remember??

Maybe we will be in a few years  whi knows. But right now its about midtable safety as part of the building process. West Ham are having a great season and we will do well to finish above them. The last thing we need is them winning at Anfield.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Rival for a mid table position? 

Yes. Every place is worth millions and we need to be aiming to finish above the likes of West Ham, Palace, Newcastle and not just the relegation fodder. Then next year we can look to target the likes of Wolves.

Anyway, great results for us today. If we can get anything tomorrow it will have been a prefect weekend results wise.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

So if we are top at Christmas, should we start holding back and aim for mid table, 6th with 5 games to go, play the kids and save our best players for next years assault on 9th.

BOOOOOO!

Lets win the league instead, lets dream a little.

I used to be sensible till I got old.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

A draw would have been the best result for us.  Win tomorrow and we would have gone back above Liverpool. Obviously they will finish above us but each matchweek we can be ahead of the current champions is a good week

At the end of the season, that point West Ham would have got with that draw could be the difference between us and them. Looking at the table after 7 games for the sake of vanity is in no way preferable to the bigger picture after 38 games.

I also can't imagine us winning tomorrow in any case. But that's for another thread. 

Edited by One For The Road

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

At the end of the season, that point West Ham would have got with that draw could be the difference between us and them. Looking at the table  after 7 games for the sake of vanity is in no way preferable to the bigger picture after 38 games.

You can say that about every game, they just got 8 bonus points by beating Wolves and Leicester and drawing with Spurs and City. Another unexpected point for them here wouldnt make much difference. I want us to be as high as possible for as long as possible and enjoy it while it lasts.  Worrying about finishing 1 point and 1 place above West Ham at the end of the season is irrelevant and an odd way to look at things in October.

You could argue, despite us failing last Friday night in the same position, that the incentive of “win and go top” could make the all the difference tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

At the end of the season, that point West Ham would have got with that draw could be the difference between us and them. Looking at the table after 7 games for the sake of vanity is in no way preferable to the bigger picture after 38 games.

I also can't imagine us winning tomorrow in any case. But that's for another thread. 

I really don't care about other teams results at this stage of the season. We just need to worry about our own and I do believe we can win tomorrow, whether we will is another matter. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I really don't care about other teams results at this stage of the season. We just need to worry about our own and I do believe we can win tomorrow, whether we will is another matter. 

I was replying to someone who said they wanted a draw in the Liverpool v West Ham game. Whilst I agree that we need to take care of our own business, its obvious that we will be far closer in the table to West Ham than Liverpool come May. Hence why Liverpool beating West Ham is a good result for us. 

Â