Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Besides seeing how we bounce back from the Leeds result, I've been really looking forward to this one. Have watched most of Southampton's matches this season and have to say that Ings is starting to become one of my favourite non-Villa players. Just looks so smooth out there on the pitch and a danger every time he touches the ball. No disrespect to Ollie, but would love to have a player like him starting up front for us. They have a couple of other threats, including the Bluenose Adams, who has missed a few chances this season, but Ings is the main one. If we can contain him then I think we can bounce back strongly.

Very difficult game to try to bounce back in. Southampton have looked a well drilled sidd for a long time now, they always seem to pick up impressive away wins under Hassenhuettl. They dominated us twice last season but can be erratic with that high line as seen against spuds a few weeks back. A draw might just be a good result here, a loss would start to evaporate all the feel good vibes we’ve enjoyed up until now. Our performance Will tell us a lot about the character and determination in this group. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Will be happy with a draw.  Would be progress on last season.  Also a good test for our potential mid-table aspirations.

Yep, a draw would be nice to keep the points tally ticking over. There are draws that feel like losses and there are draws that feel like wins. If we get a last min draw with a Jack wonder goal, that would feel like a win.

• Like 1

We just have to go into this game with 100% concentration. Watching  Southampton and Jack will not be able to stick to the left , Southampton are far to strong defensively on their right side. He will have to spend time on our right side. Cash will have his work cut out with Redmond as well, but I'm confident he will be ok if he has help when they double up against him .

This type of fixture will give real view of where we are, Southampton are an established non spectacular premier league team. If we can win or draw we will be going in the right direction, a close game with a defeat ,not the end of the world, a spanking like Friday questions will need to be asked.

• Like 2

Just finished watching the game with Everton.....They denied Everton any opportunity to play the football that got them top...and then applied their own counter attacks. I was impressed with Romeu a steely CDM who denied Everton the ball.

If we go in to next weeks game with the same approach as we did against Leeds we will get thumped again, and all the good work will dissipate.

Dean needs to adopt a professional pragmatic approach that renders points above spectacle.

I would be pleased with a draw.

Edited by TRO

On 24/10/2020 at 11:58, a-k said:

Besides seeing how we bounce back from the Leeds result, I've been really looking forward to this one. Have watched most of Southampton's matches this season and have to say that Ings is starting to become one of my favourite non-Villa players. Just looks so smooth out there on the pitch and a danger every time he touches the ball. No disrespect to Ollie, but would love to have a player like him starting up front for us. They have a couple of other threats, including the Bluenose Adams, who has missed a few chances this season, but Ings is the main one. If we can contain him then I think we can bounce back strongly.

We need to win the midfield and that will be a most difficult task with our personnel.....The supply to Ings and Adams needs to be cut off, easier said than done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Very difficult game to try to bounce back in. Southampton have looked a well drilled sidd for a long time now, they always seem to pick up impressive away wins under Hassenhuettl. They dominated us twice last season but can be erratic with that high line as seen against spuds a few weeks back. A draw might just be a good result here, a loss would start to evaporate all the feel good vibes we’ve enjoyed up until now. Our performance Will tell us a lot about the character and determination in this group. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong....but I don't think we have the right profile of player in the key area to trouble Southampton....Like Leeds they win the ball off you ,very efficiently.

I always hope for a reversal of what my head tells me......But I am not expecting anything there, based on the way we play.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We have players who can hurt teams on the counter like we showed against Liverpool.

Still baffled by Dean's tactics against Leeds.

We have players who can hurt anybody, when we have time and space.....close us down and we look very ordinary....and we sometimes play in a style that is very easy to stifle and then very difficult to recover from during a game. ...and furthermore I don't think we have the players to change it.....Southampton very much have players who can stifle us like Leeds did.

We need to foster and ability to grow in to a game by denying the opposition their oxygen to flourish and then apply the skills we all know we have....we may have to wait for a window, to get those type of players.

Edited by TRO

@TRO where do you expect us to finish this season m8? (specifically, what is the lowest you would expect us to finish?, where do you think we will finish?, where would be a realistic excellent finish?, in your opinion)

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

@TRO where do you expect us to finish this season m8? (specifically, what is the lowest you would expect us to finish?, where do you think we will finish?, where would be a realistic excellent finish?, in your opinion)

Mid table would be fine by me.....real progress that......7th or 8th would be excellent and beyond my expectation.

However, I think there will be more games like the Leeds one, Southampton could be similar IMO.

but it doesn't stop me observing where i think we went wrong and trying to find a solution to remedy it......Having said that its a forum ,its fun.....its what the manager does that counts.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1