Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

I wasn't too keen on this game today, maybe because it's Friday. Looks like Villa players felt the same. Right from the start we were somehow lifeless. We hung in there until Bamfort scored those two beauties. Very nice goals. Everything went wrong in the first goal and we never recovered.

The ol' pessimism is creeping in. How many points until safety?

Just now, The_Steve said:

That's the issue. The central midfield when it lacks energy and dynamism we are a different side and tonight those gaps were exploited to the max.

We lost the mind games. Bamford wound Mings up a treat.

He really did. Mings looked so tilted and that probably affected his concentration negatively. He needs to work on calming himself down sometimes.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

I don't think we were as bad as you say here, we tried hollywood stuff and trying to find the killer pass when it wasn't on too much and needlessly gave it away far too often. Jack could have made some better decisions, but he really also should have scored two one of which after a crazy run. I don't think we were pathetic and I don't think they should be ashamed though.

You dont think we were pathetic ? We were DREADFUL. This was just like the Leicester away game pre lockdown. In fact this was even worse because leicester are better than us.

They threw the towel in. Didnt do any of the basics right. No pressing poor passing defending so poor. Then in final 3rd the decsion making was so bad.

Yeah we were pathetic  tonight in my opinion 

Went into this expecting to win a close game, but based on the performances I think Leeds deserved the win. Credit to them, they looked a very good side throughout the match although I feel like we gave them a decent match. Goal cleared off the line, forced some good saves from their keeper, possible penalty shout - on another day we might have edged a win there (although Leeds were definitely the better team).

It's some much-needed perspective on our season, I think. There's no easy games in the PL and Leeds are a team (much like ourselves) who could turn over pretty much anyone on their day. We're not going to be competing for the Top 4 this season, but I do still think we'll be comfortably clear of relegation.

We looked a little toothless in attack today but I expect the team to bounce back well from this little reality check.

I felt we looked a bit tired right from the start. Not sure why. But the first half was end to end and we could easily have been 1-0 up at or just after half time. Still positives to take and it might do us good as they will be focused for next week. We'll win more than we'll lose, I'm sure. I just can't help but feel we needed another couple of players in. There was not much on the bench to change the match. Oh well, as long as we have a solid and safe mid table season, I'll be happy. Also, Bamford should be absolutely embarrassed. I don't know how Mings managed to only pull him up by his shirt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Playing Sunday then Friday did us no favours half our team looked completely knackered in the second half, no intensity, poor positioning.

We stopped defending as a team in the last 45 mins.

We had one day more rest than Leeds who played Monday night. And played at home. And we had a full strength team, they two injuries, one their ‘best’ player.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

I felt we looked a bit tired right from the start. Not sure why. But the first half was end to end and we could easily have been 1-0 up at or just after half time. Still positives to take and it might do us good as they will be focused for next week. We'll win more than we'll lose, I'm sure. I just can't help but feel we needed another couple of players in. There was not much on the bench to change the match. Oh well, as long as we have a solid and safe mid table season, I'll be happy. Also, Bamford should be absolutely embarrassed. I don't know how Mings managed to only pull him up by his shirt.

Mings got guns man, that's how

Smith out...

JUST KIDDING. They had our number today - very well prepared to stop us playing the way wanted to. We had our chances, and different game if we scored first and they had to change their game. We lost shape and drive as soon as they scored - we didn’t have a well rehearsed game for being behind.

It’s unfortunate, but back to business with the next game.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 1

Just now, Mic09 said:

Can we please just ignore Gabby in this post match discussion?

Honestly, a fan having a laugh on the internet seem to be people's problem here. Jesus Christ, I'm more concerned about Grealish, Barkley andMcGinn having a stinker than an ex player/pundit.

We played badly and the team certainly deserve flak, but Gabby wrote their **** teamtalk for them with a needless dig at them, he should just keep his mouth shut in future as we aren't in a position to give our opponents any extra motivation.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

We had one day more rest than Leeds who played Monday night. And played at home. And we had a full strength team, they two injuries, one their ‘best’ player.

yeah but they all seem to have Mo Farah levels of running fitness.

Come on Dean, send our team out on a marathon jog o' shame!

I'm willing to bet if we played the same way against Leeds in mid january we'd win. It's just typical Bielsa early season energy levels in the top division. Bielsa teams normally burn out by 16/17 games. 

I knew I should have screenshot the table when we were too at half time lol. We needed more pace today.

Just now, Herman22 said:

Really poor performance all round. Games turn on small moments. We could have gone one up and they go down the other end and score. 

Anyway I'll take 4 wins from 5. 

Exactly. If Grealish had managed to squeeze that one in for goal of the season I reckon the tide would have turned in our favour. First goal was always going to be crucial.

Â