Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

1) this is what you get for spouting so much cocky drivel pre match. As the Italians say. È scritto. 

2) we looked like the perfect example of a team that believed their own hype. It's a reason a few of us have been maintaining non relegation as the seasonal goal despite the good start. 

You get nothing in this league if you don't turn up. Everyone can beat everyone. And we deserved nothing. 

Poor all around. 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

That was a dsan snith performance pre lockdown. I dont mind losing but in that fashion against that level of opposition  is not good enough. 

We gave up. Didnt press didnt do any good with the ball. Basic shit league one mistakes. Cant even say we were tired. We were **** pathetic and they should be ashamed of that performance. 

Yeah really disappointing.

Said before the game it would be interesting to see how we react when the going gets tough. This is not what i wanted to see at all.

• Like 3

We were awful between their first goal and their third. Aside from that it wasn’t a bad performance. Very disappointing to see us lose our heads like that though. Really annoying it was that cheat that capitalised. Two bad dives in his last two games against us but unfortunately he’ll get the hat trick hero headlines. Two nice finishes to be fair but definitely should’ve been booked after that VAR pen check at 0-0.

Voted Cash MOTM. Midfield looked ok. Grealish has one of his poorer games tonight despite some nice moments - could’ve released an unmarked Watkins after that mazy run. Konsa then could’ve scored from a corner before they took us apart. Before the onslaught I thought Konsa had a decent game again.

If you’d said at the start of the season we’d be on 12 points after the Leeds game we would all have snapped your hands off... let’s hope Dean can keep the lads calm this week and we can recover from a kamikaze 15 mins where we let down all the good work we’ve done so far this season.

• Like 2

Fair play to Leeds tonight, they really played their hearts out and it proved much too much for us.

That being said it was concerning to see how quickly we fell apart after their first goal. It was a fairly even game up until that goal and then we completely lost it and just let the flood gates open. First time we've been in a losing position this year and I hope it's shell shock, but this needs to be addressed. We cannot concede a team that much space and go missing after going down like we did today.

We were out-fought by a team that plays with 110% effort. In all honesty I hope that we take this to heart and get inspired by that. I don't care if people say that Leeds look a lesser team on paper, games are not won on paper. That was made abundantly clear tonight.

Bamford is such an unlikable character, but he played fantastic tonight and was just flying. Hurts, but that's just how it is imo.

Shame we couldn't give Konsa a happy birthday.

• Like 3

Completely bypassed our midfield by overloading us out wide, as we tired it really paid off. Dean needed to make some changes to our shape and have us stay more compact. Credit to their keeper, though, he kept our best chances out when were really applying pressure at 0-0 and gave them the platform to build on. After they scraped the first goal, our energy levels dropped while they kept going.

What went wrong tonight was we didn't take the chances we were presented with and at the time they felt like big chances. I thought their Shackleton played really well when he came on. 

All of our players were 2/3% below their levels and against a team like Leeds early in the season you will get punished. Their 1-2's I'm sorry to say were a joy to watch. I thought we'd beat them after Philips' injury. But alas Bielsa has the whole group well drilled.

Hopefully we can learn from this and realise that hard work, intensity fitness and strength will win out. We have to stop the shots coming in.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yeah really disappointing.

Said before the game it would be interesting to see how we react when the going gets tough. This is not what i wanted to see at all.

Was hoping for the exact opposite reaction tbh.

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

He played 3 games for Scotland last week and this is his 2nd game this week.

Yeah, I don't blame him. It's just blatantly obvious we were offering nothing in the middle at all, and he was knackered well before half time. Hourihane may as well stay at home if he can't get minutes in circumstances like that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, momo said:

Dean Smith should learn to make substitutions to change games. Like taking Watkins, Barkley and Mcginn off.

I don't think Davis, Hourhane and Nakamba were the answer to tonight's questions.

Depth is going to be our biggest problem this season though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

That was a dean Smith performance pre lockdown. I dont mind losing but in that fashion against that level of opposition  is not good enough. 

We gave up. Didnt press didnt do any good with the ball. Basic shit league one mistakes. Cant even say we were tired. We were **** pathetic and they should be ashamed of that performance. 

I don't think we were as bad as you say here, we tried hollywood stuff and trying to find the killer pass when it wasn't on too much and needlessly gave it away far too often. Jack could have made some better decisions, but he really also should have scored two one of which after a crazy run. I don't think we were pathetic and I don't think they should be ashamed though.

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Gabby is a **** gobshite tbh and we dont need him doing team talks for the opposition. 

Had to block Gabby on social media. He's just whitewashing his own failures and attitude issues in that relegation year. He's just trying for banter now. It's just unwelcome.

Leeds Media w*ankfest aside (the commentators watched a different game to me), they aren’t a better side but they had more desire and worked like hell. Banford is a word removed but fair play, his second and third two goals were all down to him, something from basically from nothing.

Yes we could have had two but we were beaten by newcomers with more desire and drive. We lost our way in the second half and Smith (and our bench) had no response. We completedly lost our way in the second half when we should have kicked on from a decent 20-45 minute showing.

Jack loses his head when we are facing defeat, but we dissolved into nothing second half. 

My only creeping concern is Watkins - ineffective again. He has the talent but we need to use him better. We have nothing from the bench and no plan B.

I hate Leeds, and this hurts, but they deserved it and as much as it was a nice run, we are not the deserving of the top of the table and its an important lesson which I hope we learn from.

Edited by thunderball

Leeds were only marginally better up until the goal. After that, we lost concentration and effort. They had a lot more energy and commitment, so deservedly won.

There was always two Leeds players on whoever had the ball for us, but we failed to find the pass. Jack was invisible for large parts of the game, as were McGinn and Barkley. I still don’t know what Traoré brings.

bit concerning that Smith didn’t make a change or sub to change the game. He did so well the past weeks, but didn’t have any answers today.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Just shut your mouth next time Gabby. You deserve everything heading towards you right now.

Smith didn't give them enough respect. Thought he could beat Bielsa at his game that simply ain't gonna work.

Wolves left us the blueprint. Looks like we ignored it.

Can we please just ignore Gabby in this post match discussion?

Honestly, a fan having a laugh on the internet seem to be people's problem here. Jesus Christ, I'm more concerned about Grealish, Barkley andMcGinn having a stinker than an ex player/pundit.

• Like 1

Â