Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We had one day more rest than Leeds who played Monday night. And played at home. And we had a full strength team, they two injuries, one their ‘best’ player.

it felt like because of the cancelled games at the start we have played a hell of a lot of football in a short space of time, as well as internationals, not saying we are alone or hard done by, but how else do you explain half our players stopping tackling or pressing or winning any 50/50s in the second half, just standard sh*tness?

Barkley is injured we know that and probably shouldn't have started, McGinn looked a shadow of the player he was in the last game.

Edited by VillanousOne

31 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

You just need to look at any Leeds fans comments about the result, most I've seen mention Gabby, it clearly bothered them, and that feeling was likely shared by their players.

Not just the fans. Bamford mentioned 'myth' in his post match interview, Phillips tweeted Gabby about the result and the official Leeds United twitter account screenshot Gabby's comments and made reference to them. 

I know Gabby is partly doing it as part of his Talksport mandate to be controversial but he really wrote the team-talk for Leeds tonight. 

Nothing wrong with him being massively pro-Villa but i'd rather he didn't mock other teams as it'll only make him look even more stupid. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villanmac said:

God its amazing how a few villa wins can make the world seem such a better place. When they play like tonight you realised how depressed you really are and how unfulfilling life is.. its like taking the Red pill in the matrix. Already pissed off at the thought of going to work next week and the weekend aint even began. 

Walk away from football till the next game is my advice, thats what I am gonna do.

I am too fragile to handle my hobby giving me more stress, its meant to be fun. I am gonna go play some computer games till next match :)

• Haha 1

Cash battled hard. But was over run why did he get over run, because Trezguet and Watkins were pressing high and Jack wasn't. This made it easy to play through our press and then Trezguet is in no man's land while Leeds are swarming all over us. This lead to our downfall. 

To be fair to the lads. Until the first goal it was quite an even game we also had a few good chances, and the first half was very even.

I was hoping we would get out of the block fast in the second half, but we allowed them too jump all over us.

Jack was poor tonight. Totally justified Southgates preference of Mount over him, with his lackadaisical approach to his defensive responsibilities. His passing was also poor tonight.

We were out worked tonight, but we probably shouldn't have tried to match their work rate and instead made it harder difficult for them to get through us. McGinn also had a poor game. Their midfielders were fully prepared for his habits, and he passed to ball poorly. 

Since the Liverpool game it seems like McGinn is looking for that defence splitting pass all the time when he should be playing the simple ball more often.

Douglas Luiz is the only reason it was only 3 In the end, as once we went a goal down we were wide open and gifting them possession.

The ref was poor. Bamford was fouling Konsa persistently. The twist of the ankle (according to the rubbish biased commentators) from Bamford was actually a blatant dive and worthy of a yellow card.

Deano got his approach all wrong. Why try to match the workrate of the hardest working team in the league? He should've been making us hard to play through and looking to keep possession as much as possible. Should've told Trezguet to hold position in front of cash and only close down in his own half. McGinn should also have been helping cash but was no where near him. Barkley spent half of his time defending the left flank in place of Jack.

The discipline which was very good against Leicester was nowhere to be seen here.

Douglas 7

Cash 7

Konsa 6.5

Watkins 6.5

Everyone else 3.

I'm surprised people are disappointed. It had to come to an end eventually because none of our opponents so far have dealt out that level of intensity. For some years (even when we were shit), we've occasionally looked good when there's not much pressure and the opposition has let us play a bit. You might even argue that's also why playing behind closed doors has helped us. No pressure.

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

it felt like because of the cancelled games at the start we have played a hell of a lot of football in a short space of time, as well as internationals, not saying we are alone or hard done by, but how else do you explain half our players stopping tackling or pressing or winning any 50/50s in the second half, just standard sh*tness?

Barkley is injured we know that and probably shouldn't have started, McGinn looked a shadow of the player he was in the last game.

Every team we’ve played has had fitness problems and injuries. It’s a weird year and we need to be better than we were, irrespective of fitness

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

The calm amongst the storm. 

Like all of us i've seen far worse times as a Villa fan, most in recent history. I still have flashbacks to the Lambert and Garde years

DarlingConcreteIndianabat-size_restricte

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 2

Pre-lockdown we lost 4-0 to Leicester at home. Our performance then was so inept, so devoid of any shape, threat or solidity that I was certain we were down.

We just got pumped 3-0 at home to Leeds. And I couldn't feel more different. If one of our early chances (ball cleared off the line, the Grealish run, Konsa from the corner) had gone in it's a very different game. We looked under the cosh, but still with a plan and a shape. A mile away from the Leicester game.

Once they scored they got their tails up and they played very well, deserving the win.

If I am to take anything from the game tonight it's this: As a bare minimum, you must match the other teams intensity. We didn't do that tonight.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Davis, Hourhane and Nakamba were the answer to tonight's questions.

Depth is going to be our biggest problem this season though.

Actually I think Nakamba would have been just the guy to stop Rodrigo, Barkley had an off game and fresher legs were needed, and Watkins has been hiding for 4 of the 5 games in the PL and we needed muscles up top. Taking Trezeguet off made the team even worse.

Didn’t get to see that because I was taking part in a big family zoom meeting - discreetly keeping in touch via BBC sports app. It looked as if we were well and truly battered. How we recover from this is a real test.

I will reserve judgment.

On the basis of what I read on the app I give Martinez MOTM, Smith poor and the ref good.

12 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I'm surprised people are disappointed. It had to come to an end eventually because none of our opponents so far have dealt out that level of intensity. For some years (even when we were shit), we've occasionally looked good when there's not much pressure and the opposition has let us play a bit. You might even argue that's also why playing behind closed doors has helped us. No pressure.

I agree, it was never going to last but it would have been nice to win tonight and go top of the league. Even if its just for a week or so. Just that league table with us at the summit would have been nice to see.

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Pre-lockdown we lost 4-0 to Leicester at home. Our performance then was so inept, so devoid of any shape, threat or solidity that I was certain we were down.

We just got pumped 3-0 at home to Leeds. And I couldn't feel more different. If one of our early chances (ball cleared off the line, the Grealish run, Konsa from the corner) had gone in it's a very different game. We looked under the cosh, but still with a plan and a shape. A mile away from the Leicester game.

Once they scored they got their tails up and they played very well, deserving the win.

If I am to take anything from the game tonight it's this: As a bare minimum, you must match the other teams intensity. We didn't do that tonight.

Disagree. Didn't see what our game plan was tonight except to hit hopeful long balls up. We were really poor, as bad as we were at times last season, sorry.

Loads of them were off the pace tonight for me. I watched Trez closely and pretty much all he did was huff & puff a lot but just waste possession / give the ball away or put in a shocking pass/cross to nowhere & Give away a few free kicks. He also failed to help Cash out who was clearly being badly exposed. Grealish again held on to possession too long more often than not often giving the ball away as a result (albeit with a sprinkling of his quality of course on occasion). Targett looked really poor & McGinn was not having a great day at all despite his efforts. Luiz seemed average but not great either & Ollie Watkins also looked slow & ponderous as did Barkley. 

We simply cannot have that many players off their game & expect anything else. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I agree, it was never going to last but it would have been nice to win tonight and go top of the league. Even if its just for a week or so. Just that league table with us at the summit would have been nice to see.

C'mon mate, that's just not the Villa way. We crush dreams, not realise them!

• Like 1

Â