Man Utd and Liverpool in talks to create FIFA European PL to replace UEFA CL

villalad21

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Even for these teams, where's the excitement? Only one team can win, no battles for survival, no derbies, nothing else to challenge for (CL, EL, cups), no unexpected upsets.

Terrible idea.

the league would be over for most after 8 or so games.

This is all posturing for more Champions League money to the big clubs. Already there is a coefficient ranking system that pays out more to the established clubs. This pot will certainly get much bigger going forward.

A new ranking was introduced last season on the basis of performances over a ten-year period. In addition to coefficient points accumulated during this period, this ranking includes bonus points for winning the UEFA Champions League/European Champion Clubs' Cup, the UEFA Europa League/UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners' Cup.

On the basis of these parameters, a ranking has been established and the total amount of €585.05m has been divided into 'coefficient shares', with each share worth €1.108m. The lowest-ranked team will receive one share (€1.108m). One share will be added to every rank and so the highest-ranked team will receive 32 shares (€35.46m).

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 2

Their greed knows no limits. Further proof if it was needed why football clubs cannot be run like regular businesses. What is good for profits is lethal for the sport of football.

As a sub-plot I Love the idea of corrupt FIFA stealing European off corrupt UEFA. Be a hell of a law suit that might just bring down the lot of them once the dirt starts to fly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Fans in the stadiums are only an inconvenience. It's the TV audience in Asia, America and the middle east that matters.

This format will no doubt introduce time outs, power breaks, more substitutions and maybe 3 periods instead of 2 halves. Gotta cram as much commercials in as possible and the US crowd gets bored easily. Games will start at 12 or 14 to suit the Asian market and games will be played in China, Qatar and the US.

If this is midweek as scheduled. United vs Barcelona at 2pm for Asian market and Liverpool vs Real at 2am for US audiences. Sounds fun

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

This is all posturing for more Champions League money to the big clubs. Already there is a coefficient ranking system that pays out more to the established clubs. This pot will certainly get much bigger going forward.

This is the correct take IMO. It's funny, it's only yesterday I was saying we hadn't heard from the 'European Super League' idea in a while. Lo and behold, up it crops again, rearing its ugly pantomime head as a way for big clubs to lever more money out of UEFA when they renegotiate the Champions League TV deal.

It took about a week for the eye-catching parts of the last Big Idea to fall apart. I am open to being wrong, but I suspect a similar fate will befall this Big Idea too, but the message should be received loud and clear at UEFA's headquarters.

One other thing I should say on this, is that it would be much better if sports correspondents occasionally kicked the tyres on some of these ideas, rather than obviously performing a role as an uncritical conduit for press releases. When yer man was on Sky Sports News talking about this earlier, he made clear that there is not yet a set number of teams, not yet any idea of how many teams or which teams from this country would be invited, and not yet any legal action which will inevitably be needed to 'start as early as 2022', when the current Champions League format runs until 2024 and clubs clearly could not participate in both competitions.

That's not to say solving these problems is *impossible*, but from the breathless tone of the reporting you would think this was a racing certainty, and it is anything but.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is the correct take IMO. It's funny, it's only yesterday I was saying we hadn't heard from the 'European Super League' idea in a while. Lo and behold, up it crops again, rearing its ugly pantomime head as a way for big clubs to lever more money out of UEFA when they renegotiate the Champions League TV deal.

It took about a week for the eye-catching parts of the last Big Idea to fall apart. I am open to being wrong, but I suspect a similar fate will befall this Big Idea too, but the message should be received loud and clear at UEFA's headquarters.

If you think about it there are too many issues with the Super League concept:

- Highly unlikely German clubs would join
- In an 18 team closed league several big clubs will be left out
- A few clubs will ultimately become the Burnley/WBA  of the Super League and lose their international shine
- Domestic fans will revolt
- It opens the door for an American (North & South) and Asian Super League which could ultimately (15-20 years time) be better resourced than the European version 
- Political pressure

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

If you think about it there are too many issues with the Super League concept:

- Highly unlikely German clubs would join
- In an 18 team closed league several big clubs will be left out
- A few clubs will ultimately become the Burnley/WBA  of the Super League and lose their international shine
- Domestic fans will revolt
- It opens the door for an American (North & South) and Asian Super League which could ultimately (15-20 years time) be better resourced than the European version 
- Political pressure

It would certainly be interesting for some of our sports media to actually ask some pointed questions on whether those issues might be stumbling blocks, rather than announcing it as if it were basically a fait accompli. Hard to believe they did literally the same thing less than two weeks ago with a different project, pushed by the same people, which also had enormous logical flaws in it.

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Also how would the promotion/relegation even work? If you won your domestic league do you have to hope a English team finishes bottom of the SKY SPORTS EURO ELITE LEAGUE to get promoted? 

The 1st step will be running it at the same time as the domestic leagues - so Manure, Ci$y & Plop would still be playing in the English league (which is obviously why they want to have less teams in it.)

Then, the teams who are getting the revenue from the Euro Super League will be be able to pay the wages of the top players, have massive squads and just play their 2nd teams (B-teams) in the domestic leagues. This is what happened to the league cup, and now has happened to the FA-Cup - both competitions have become completed devalued. (Remember our 5-0 win over Liverpool under 11's last year?)

And sadly this will happen to the domestic league over the next 20 years as the 'brands' of the big clubs grow and grow essentially becoming franchises. At the same time the FA Premier league will become as undervalued as our domestic cup competitions. 

The interesting thing will be when the "Manchester City franchise" owners want to move its base to UAE. Or PSG owners want to move the base to Qatar - or any owner wants to move the club to a market where they think it will be more lucrative for the franchise. "The Beijing Gunners of Arsenal" anyone?

If you think that's impossible, it happens frequently in American sports already.

These dumb dumb arrogant sods in the English game forget how Brexit drastically decreases their value in Europe. None of it is sustainable nor fair. Something that should be left to FIFA or PES, not real life. They’d rather just protect what the status quo. It would kill the sport in Europe in 5 years. 

• Confused 1

I've conducted some cunning detective work. It appears there is a common factor across the two recent controversial restructuring plans. Man U and Liverpool, and nobody else. I think it's time everyone started ignoring them, if that hasn't already happened. 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

These dumb dumb arrogant sods in the English game forget how Brexit drastically decreases their value in Europe. 

Not getting into the wider Brexit discussion, but how does Brexit reduce the value of British clubs? Especially considering they are mostly owned by foreign investors? 

• Like 1

Discrepancy in the thread title, this is nothing to do with UEFA nor affects the Champions League

This is something that has FIFA backing it which is a different organisation to UEFA

This would be an entirely new competition in a league format that ends with a knockout, it will be a closed shop with no relegation. Basically trying to create NFL with Europe's biggest money spinning clubs by invitation only. This means if it gets the go ahead, it wouldnt mater if Man Utd finished 8th the season before.

This isn't sport.

The teams entering it will either leave their domestic leagues or use it as a competition for their reserves.  

If it was just a revamp of the champions league (as the thread title suggests), which teams could qualify for - that would be almost acceptable but this is something entirely different. Invitation only closed shop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I've conducted some cunning detective work. It appears there is a common factor across the two recent controversial restructuring plans. Man U and Liverpool, and nobody else. I think it's time everyone started ignoring them, if that hasn't already happened. 

Maybe they should f off like tennis players used to when the game was still amateur and play friendlies against each other all around the world

• Like 1

an 18 team competition is also not going to have 6 English clubs entering it, Spurs will definitely be left out and probably one of Arsenal or City. Arsenal might actually the bigger brand globally

German teams like Dortmund and Bayern will have the fans on the back about this as well

16 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Unfortunately fans around the world are a stupid bunch of fools who are going to lap this up. Unfortunately FIFA are involved so I hope that the World Cup is boycotted by the FA etc. When the domestic leagues realise that only a few clubs can take part in this league and their revenues drop down they might actually boycott the FIFA tournaments. Hopefully.

Your random man united fan in the Philippines will lap it up for sure but the real fans will not.

I actually want them to do this because I think it’ll be a mess, how they expect the so called ‘top teams’ (ironic when it includes man united) to manage two league seasons plus cup games is laughable.

I also have the popcorn ready for whoever doesn’t get invited from the alleged big 6 as they can’t all go surely, Germany won’t stand for it, spain only has two actual ‘super clubs’ and outside of PSG and Juventus you’re really starting to scrape the barrel.

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Arsenal might actually the bigger brand globally

I've been exposed to lots of tours made by Premier League clubs both in North America and Asia.  I would rank the fan bases as  follows:

1) ManUtd
---Massive gap---
2) Liverpool
3) Arsenal (stronger in Asia)
4) Chelsea (stronger in North America)
---Massive gap---
5) Tottenham
---Massive gap---
Everyone else including Man City

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Not getting into the wider Brexit discussion, but how does Brexit reduce the value of British clubs? Especially considering they are mostly owned by foreign investors? 

It doesn't, but can't wait to hear his reasoning. 

22 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I've been exposed to lots of tours made by Premier League clubs both in North America and Asia.  I would rank the fan bases as  follows:

1) ManUtd
---Massive gap---
2) Liverpool
3) Arsenal (stronger in Asia)
4) Chelsea (stronger in North America)
---Massive gap---
5) Tottenham
---Massive gap---
Everyone else including Man City

Arsenal are huge in Africa as well but I dont think the TV companies or sponsors pay attention to Africa

• Like 1

Â