Villa Galacticos

mjmooney

Ron Saunders team I can understand from the bat. But galacticos implies star players right? Not necessarily a star team? I think from my time there hasn't been a team that qualifies for that. We've had plenty of exceptional players, but never a team. 

58 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Steady. Maybe we should have got a CL place, certainly in the 08/09 season but due to his reluctance to rotate the team was knackered down the stretch. 

We got to March every season and the team couldn't run the length of itself.

Ron Saunders managed another tremendous Villa team in 1976/77: Burridge, Gidman, Robson, Phillips, Nicholl, Mortimer, Deehan, Little, Gray, Cropley and Carrodus, with Smith on the bench.

They finished 4th, won the League Cup, reached the FA Cup Q/F and scored 105 league & cup goals. We scored goals for fun back then, beating both Arsenal and Liverpool 5-1.  

ASTON VILLA FOOTBALL TEAM PHOTO>1976-77 SEASON | eBay

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ron Saunders team I can understand from the bat. But galacticos implies star players right? Not necessarily a star team? I think from my time there hasn't been a team that qualifies for that. We've had plenty of exceptional players, but never a team. 

Sorry, I feel I gave the thread the wrong title. I'm not talking about 'star players' - although many of them obviously are - more very stable XIs that appeared together so regularly that they stick in our minds forever more. I'm not suggesting that the current side are all world class, but I'll bet I'll be able to reel off those eleven names in ten years' time (assuming the alzheimer's hasn't kicked in...) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was slightly out of the loop during the Graham Taylor years, but I expect many of you would have one from that era.

Graham Taylor just moulded the following players into a really solid team, that finished runners-up in 89/90. Sadly doing that, took him away for us to manage England. 

Spink; Price, Gage, McGrath, Mountfield, Nielsen, Daley, Platt, Olney, Cowans, Gray.

9 hours ago, John said:

Graham Taylor just moulded the following players into a really solid team, that finished runners-up in 89/90. Sadly doing that, took him away for us to manage England. 

Spink; Price, Gage, McGrath, Mountfield, Nielsen, Daley, Platt, Olney, Cowans, Gray.

If only we had a striker! Olney tried his best but he was young and inexperienced 

We needed a Steve Bull or Gary Lineker (we were linked strongly to both I believe around the time)

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 20:21, Davkaus said:

He signed Heskey in our push for 4th. O'Neill's competence as a football manager is vastly overstated.

I can't deny that I enjoyed his time here. We could beat anyone and I had big hopes for the future. But the more you look at all the dross and unseuccessfull players he signed I can't help thinking what could've been with another manager. That's all in hindsight, of course. I don't think Heskey was as bad as many others think, but he was definetely not the striker we needed at the time. And then the way he left...

Â