Weekends Football 16/18 October

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Its not a total myth. Spurs played dire stuff last year, and Mourinhos Inter Milan were famously negative. Chelsea too. This is the first run of positive football in his career.

Real Madrid is cheat codes, won't pay attention to anything brought up regarding them 

This doesn’t make any sense. Was it only Mourinho who had access to these codes not the other Real managers who’s sides he holds the record over?

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

This doesn’t make any sense. Was it only Mourinho who had access to these codes not the other Real managers who’s sides he holds the record over?

Vs probably the greatest club side ever as well 

10 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Its not a total myth. Spurs played dire stuff last year, and Mourinhos Inter Milan were famously negative. Chelsea too. This is the first run of positive football in his career.

Real Madrid is cheat codes, won't pay attention to anything brought up regarding them 

Spurs had a massive injury crisis last year.  Just as soon as one key player came back another went out on a stretcher.  He set them up to do what he could to get points on the board.  

As for the Madrid comment, you're right...  It's easy to set the all time La Liga record for the number of points acquired and goals scored while playing negative football.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Back to the earlier game, if this is a penalty, you'd be getting 10 a game. It's incredulous that VAR won't overturn such obvious things.

I still think the FA's master plan is to continue to massively cock up VAR decisions so that way the teams will vote to repeal the system all together and trust the ref's decision on the pitch.  None of the other top European leagues have such a hard time using VAR consistently, so this has to be down to some sort of referee union politics...

Not the best source but still.

Jordan Pickford could still face punishment for his X-rated challenge on Virgil van Dijk.

The Football Association can take retrospective action on incidents which were missed by the referee - and that also extends to the video assistant referee.

That could mean that Everton keeper Pickford could yet get a three game ban if the FA look again after receiving referee Michael Oliver’s report.

It is understood that the VAR - which was being done by David Coote - did look at the incident as a possible penalty but because the video technology ruled it was offside they did not take further action.

The VAR can only advise on red cards rather than yellows and the double jeopardy rule means it cannot be a penalty and a sending off if the player makes a genuine attempt to play the ball.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jordan-pickford-virgil-van-dijk-22865457

"Traditionally West Ham fans like a bit of flair...  a bit of something different" has to be right up there in the Hall of Fame of stupid commentator soundbites with "They really do LOVE a number 9 up there in Newcastle". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Spurs had a massive injury crisis last year.  Just as soon as one key player came back another went out on a stretcher.  He set them up to do what he could to get points on the board.  

As for the Madrid comment, you're right...  It's easy to set the all time La Liga record for the number of points acquired and goals scored while playing negative football.

It doesn't excuse some of the stats that came out from that run, no shots on target, barely any of the ball against inferior teams. Injuries or not they shouldn't have an issue playing good stuff against Bournemouth.

I didn't say he was negative for Madrid, I said I dont care about achievements there. Bankrolled by the country to dominate the league. Mourinho signed at peak Madrid excess I dont think its a huge achievement to beat Grenada 6-0 when you have 2 players costing £150 million 10 years ago.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

My 2 favourite players not called Jack Grealish, Kane and Son are absolutely tearing it up. You love to see it.

there's no prima dona in them two, really solid footballers the both of them.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Son is one of the biggest divas in football. Doesnt get his way he starts crying

he's just competitive. he seems like a proper nice, humble guy from what I've seen from him off the field as well.

Â