Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

41 minutes ago, useless said:

This is Brighton's fourth season in the premier league, their players aren't going to suddenly improve after not being very good for three seasons in a row, unless they sign better players in the summer they'll likely struggle again next season. I know some like to lay the blame on Maupay, but guess what? He's only scored three less goals than Watkins, if you were to add three goals to Brighton's total goals this season they still would have only scored thirty goals, they lack goals all over the pitch.

If those 3 extra goals earn 9 points they would only be 5 points (8 points off Liverpool) behind us and pretty much safe. 

Also the ridiculous amount of bad Var decisions against them plus us I guess and the table would look completely different. 

It’s fine margins.

They will be a top top team sooner than later. 

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

If those 3 extra goals earn 9 points they would only be 5 points (8 points off Liverpool) behind us and pretty much safe. 

Also the ridiculous amount of bad Var decisions against them plus us I guess and the table would look completely different. 

It’s fine margins.

If you don't have players that can find the net regularly, across the park, then you won't be a top top team. They either need to recruit or find a way that their current players find the net more regularly. It's not a coincidence they keep losing games and not scoring enough. That's a theme.

Just had a look, maupay with 7 is decent. They have no other player with more than 3 goals. Macalister with all his good play, 1 goal. Trossard, 2 goals. Lallana scored his first goal the other day. Gross, 2 goals. Alazate, 1 goal.

This is a running theme across their team. Are they all suddenly going to score 6/7/8 goals a season? They are in a relegation battle for a reason.

Edited by Mjvilla

They might be a top team in the future.

But I think it's impossible for three extra goals to have earned them nine extra points, because if you spread those goals over three games that's a goal a game, meaning that's only enough to turn a defeat into a draw, or a draw into a win, turning a draw into a win only gets you two extra points, so at best if Brighton had have score three extra goals this season they'd have six extra points, and that's presuming that those hypothetical goals are winning goals, we know of course that it doesn't always work like that, and sometimes goals only help you get a draw, or are sometimes just consolation goals.

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I think if they stay up this season, next season we will start to see the fruits of their recruitment of youngsters over the past few years. 

Much like us, this season turning it around, I’d imagine that’s what will happen for Brighton next season if... they stay up. 

Think Fulham are more likely to get up into mid table or perhaps even top half. Not sure how possible it is but them signing all of Areola, Andersen, Loftus Cheek, Lookman and Maja on a permanent basis would give them a strong basis as that 11 is already showing it can compete against most teams.

Loads of focus on Brighton in attack but to me they give away too many cheap goals from set pieces. Lost to West Brom from a corner and that keeper they had flapping at the cross that gifted Leicester the win was awful way to lose so they need to sort that out aswell.

I think they'll lose likes of Bissouma and Lamptey aswell end of the season even if they stay up so will be weaker in defence next season unless they sign very well.

Edited by VillaChris

If you look at the premier league table based on games since Fulham had Andersen available, they're twelve in the league, bottom three over the same period is Sheffield United, West Brom, and Newcastle. Unfortunatley for them the table is based on the whole season, but shows how important a good start is, and if possible to get your new signings ready to play as early as possible.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, useless said:

If you look at the premier league table based on games since Fulham had Andersen available, they're twelve in the league, bottom three over the same period is Sheffield United, West Brom, and Newcastle. Unfortunatley for them the table is based on the whole season, but shows how important a good start is, and if possible to get your new signings ready to play as early as possible.

Kin hell we've got two games in hand no matter which table lol.

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The table doesn’t lie but I actually think Brighton and Fulham are decent teams. With a bit of luck and better finishing they’d both be in better positions. Newcastle however are just shit. I hope they go down. 

It might not lie, as such, but it certainly doesn't tell you the whole story. I think it's rare that a manager gets more out of the squad at his disposal, and very easy to get less. Steve Bruce definitely tends to get less, for example, whereas Potter at Brighton seems to get what you might very well expect with the added plus of being good to watch. At risk of inflaming the thread, there's a reason Bielsa is so well respected across Europe, as he tends to create teams that are more than the sum of their parts.

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Kin hell we've got two games in hand no matter which table lol.

ALso look at home games, Liverpool for instance already played 15 home games, we've played 12 and that won't change this weekend.

Of course in these times home v away dosen't matter as much as in a normal season but we're still more likely to pick up points in what we have left at home compared to the away games so hoping for 3 wins and a couple of draws from final 7.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton could down and i would still rate Potter.

Brighton are so wonderful to watch

If they keeping losing the confidence will drop. i think they will go 

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton could down and i would still rate Potter.

Brighton are so wonderful to watch

In other words your mind is always made up and no amount of information and evidence would change that.

14 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s fine margins.

I know what you mean but a single goal never gets you 3 extra points. The most it gets you is two extra (0-0 to 1-0 goes from one to three).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I rate Potter as well, but I hope you see why your view is heavily contradictory.

Not even remotely the same job.

Aston Villa is a much bigger club. More resources. Better facilities and training ground.

You really can't compare the clubs or the job.

Im fairly sure that west brom and sheffield utd are down..4 clubs going to fight it out in the 3rd relegation place.

Fulham building momentum and playing fairly decently..i think they will have enough to stay  up.

Burnley for me can always grind a result so they are safe too.

brighton play some good football..they lack a consistent goal threat but i reckon they will sneak a few wins and stay up.

Newcastle are in big trouble..serious amount of injuries and with their top line out i struggle to see where they are going to pick up points so newcastle are down for me also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Not even remotely the same job.

Aston Villa is a much bigger club. More resources. Better facilities and training ground.

You really can't compare the clubs or the job.

https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/brightons-ps202m-five-year-transfer-net-spend-compared-spurs-wolves-more-3128834

Brighton's -£202m five-year transfer net spend compared to Spurs, Wolves & more

In theory, yes, in financial reality/stability of the last few years, no.

More PL money etc.

Obviously that changes as we progress back to normalcy.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Newcastle are in big trouble but somehow I can still see Brucey keeping them up. 

If they do get relegated it will serve Ashley right in faffing about in selling the club. Notwithstanding the last controversial offer I am sure he has had many other opportunities to sell if he really wanted to. He is slowly killing the club by sucking all the joy out of the fanbase.

Palace also look really tired and stale this season. Hodgson will be gone in the summer but its a massive rebuilding job by whoever comes in next, I guess Howe.