Relegation chase 2020/21

Sheffield United are just a bunch of terrible players in a good, well coached system. I don't dispute that you were the only person on VillaTalk who actively posted that they would do badly this season @useless but I don't personally know anyone into premier league football who thought they'd stay up this season. There squad is full of players who'd struggle to get into a lot of championship teams.

It's easy to say how poor they are now, but last season when they were doing well no one was predicting that they'd get relegated the following season, that was such a wild prediction by me. Of course by the time last season had finished their bad form had already started to emerge, and they didn't have a great transfer window, but even then I can't recall many saying that they would be relegated, only that they'd struggle more this season, in fact at the start of the season I think more were saying that we'd struggle than they would.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, useless said:

It's easy to say how poor they are now, but last season when they were doing well no one was predicting that they'd get relegated the following season, that was such a wild prediction by me. Of course by the time last season had finished their bad form had already started to emerge, and they didn't have a great transfer window, but even then I can't recall many saying that they would be relegated, only that they'd struggle more this season, in fact at the start of the season I think more were saying that we'd struggle than they would.

In a PL whatsapp group prediction, I've put Sheff Utd and West Brom as my choice. Most said Villa and West Brom!

7 hours ago, useless said:

Proud of this call arent ya? ;)

I recall most saying they would be in a relegation battle so fair play for actually calling relegation.  Some wished Smith was wilder, wonder if they still feel the same. 

i don't see how any of the bottom 3 stay up personally. newcastle are shite but will do just enough. brighton are too good to go down. burnley will shithouse enough points to avoid it too.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i don't see how any of the bottom 3 stay up personally. newcastle are shite but will do just enough. brighton are too good to go down. burnley will shithouse enough points to avoid it too.

Fulham are the same amount of points adrift (7) with 18 games to play, Considering we were 7 adrift with only 4 games to play tells me its not over yet, Still think Newcastle might get sucked in yet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Yeah that how I see it. Burnley's (now millions in debt)  sh*thousery will keep them up. Again. Wilson will score the goals for Brucey. I have tipped Brighton to go the last 2 seasons but getting that win v spurs was massive and they will probably do enough.  Fulham will be another in a long line of teams which play nice but relegated. Shef Utd have had such a bad start that even getting into form will take a huge effort to stay safe. Albion are a joke and Fat Sam will jump by about April to go back to Talksh*te.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Brighton have taken 38 points from their last 38 premier league games, so I'm not sure if 'too good to go down' is the right description for them, most seasons their current total of 21 points would barely see them outside the relegation zone at this stage, it's the same amount of points that we had after 21 games last season, we were seventeenth, just one point above Bournemouth in eighteenth.

Burnley are probably more worthy of being called 'too good to go down than Brighton', as they've finished comfortably above them in each of the last three seasons, and are above them now have played a game less. Both will probably be okay though, by virtue of how poor the bottom three are this season if nothing else. Wouldn't mind seeing Fulham put a run of form together though, just to make it a little more interesting down there.

I’m going to give it another month or so before I write off the bottom three.  It’s such a tall order but we came back with four games left.  Yes I know it was a smaller difference but they 16 games left although I definitely think West Brom are gone for some reason.

Realistically, Burnley are the highest placed team in danger of relegation I'd say. Wolves up to Leeds would require a catastrophic collapse to go down and everyone from Arsenal above is safe already.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Brighton have taken 38 points from their last 38 premier league games, so I'm not sure if 'too good to go down' is the right description for them, most seasons their current total of 21 points would barely see them outside the relegation zone at this stage, it's the same amount of points that we had after 21 games last season, we were seventeenth, just one point above Bournemouth in eighteenth.

Burnley are probably more worthy of being called 'too good to go down than Brighton', as they've finished comfortably above them in each of the last three seasons, and are above them now have played a game less. Both will probably be okay though, by virtue of how poor the bottom three are this season if nothing else. Wouldn't mind seeing Fulham put a run of form together though, just to make it a little more interesting down there.

Statistics back up Brighton's case. They've been unable to finish the chances they're creating and they're conceding more than they should be at the other end. The school of thought goes that this will right itself eventually. 

"Too good to go down" is a nonsense, but they should be doing better than they are. 

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Fulham losing that will help them.

If Fulham go down then i liked the look of Lookman the couple of times I've seen him.  Anybody else watched more of him to see if he's worthwhile?

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If Fulham go down then i liked the look of Lookman the couple of times I've seen him.  Anybody else watched more of him to see if he's worthwhile?

I've liked him for a while too. He clearly had something during his time at Everton and rated him then, was just too soon for him and wasn't given the time to develop there. 

Question really would be will he develop more to make him a better asset than AEG or Trez is. At 23 it's certainly possible he will but also the possibility we move a load of players around and end up with much the same. if we're going to buy another winger we need to be getting some real quality in

Certainly be a few clubs looking his way though and one we should keep an eye on.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if Fulham might think about changing manager, two wins all season, but still somehow just seven points from safety as it stands with a game in hand, but it's hard to see how they can improve their results unless they try something new.

Edited by useless

After this tonight and what has in my eyes been a drop in form since the COVID issues I think It’s back to just staying up comfortably for this season. 

We have been conceding more & more possession recently and the team look a bit burned out for me. 

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

After this tonight and what has in my eyes been a drop in form since the COVID issues I think It’s back to just staying up comfortably for this season. 

We have been conceding more & more possession recently and the team look a bit burned out for me. 

was staying up comfortably not the plan all along? I think anything higher was people being a bit deluded

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I never thought we would so please don’t accuse me of being deluded.  

i didnt :) but some people think we should be challenging top 4 

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â