Black Aston Villa Players

sidcow

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

What a ludicrous statement. 

1) It's not racist to talk about black people. Its racist to imply they are inferior or show bias against them because of their colour. 

2) It's black history month and I'm trying to track the history of black players for Villa. 

So sick of this attitude that merely mentioning colour is racist.  In fact so sick of general false accusations of racism. 

Think about what I am saying here.

If you single them out as different with skin colour being the differentiator....

All I am saying is I never look at our players as black players just villa players 

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who would our first black coach or assistant have been?

I'm struggling there.  To be fair management and coaching is massively underrepresented by black people.  This should change over time but there are plenty of  retired black players now (which wouldn't have been the case 20 years or more ago) so there is still some kind of issue at play here I think.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who would our first black coach or assistant have been?

As long as it ain't Sol Campbell or Dwight Yorke, we're OK

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

99731360.jpg

Jordan Ayew and Rudy Gestede celebrating Eid with locals in Aston. 

Probably the strongest link between the club and immediate locality in many years. 

Ayew looked thrilled about the celebrations, as always.

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ayew looked thrilled about the celebrations, as always.

I bumped into Ayew a few times and he always had the look of a 4 year old barred from the sweet shop. Nice guy though. Even cracked a joke. Still had that frown upon him though. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s true but one of the big differences are South Asians don’t make it as footballers otherwise our national team would be even more representative of past colonialism.  Like the cricket team is. 

But that’s a different topic altogether.

See my post in the general football BAME topic on why us Sub Continental Asians have possibly struggled to make it to even the lower leagues of football.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our facebook fan pages are another level of cringe on this.

Sad to see we proper have Villa fans who seriously get wound up by black related Villa news.

As far as ' wHaT iF wE dID A wHiTe vIlLa pLaYeRs mOnTH '

The only black player in the history of Aston Villa I have any issue with is Noel **** Blake and it has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of his skin. Horrible thieving nose

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

George Boateng?

Good call.   Some great interviews with him on the OS

I was thinking first team though.  Maybe he will work his way up.

Surprised Ian Taylor hasn't had a go.  He comes across as someone who could make it for me.  Intelligent and eloquent.  He has that business making headphones though so maybe that's making him money and taking up his time.  

Dion Dublin looks at stairs going up to the bedroom of course.

Just now, sidcow said:

Good call.   Some great interviews with him on the OS

I was thinking first team though.  Maybe he will work his way up.

Surprised Ian Taylor hasn't had a go.  He comes across as someone who could make it for me.  Intelligent and eloquent.  He has that business making headphones though so maybe that's making him money and taking up his time.  

Dion Dublin looks at stairs going up to the bedroom of course.

Would love to see Taylor be our manager one day

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

See my post in the general football BAME topic on why us Sub Continental Asians have possibly struggled to make it to even the lower leagues of football.

I have my own theory so I’ll check it out. 

edit: can’t find the thread.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Did Sherwood have a black coach as part of his team or was that at Spurs?

Surely we can't never have had a black coach working with the first team?

Spurs, Chris Ramsey who was infamously airbrushed out of that picture...

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That is an overly simplistic and A little daft.

Its is black history month, earlier this month the official site put out a video to celebrate and in some cases remember some of our former players. By your logic you are saying that whoever put that video out to celebrate those players is racist. That’s a pretty daft position to take.

In fact it would be quite easy for someone to argue the opposite, that people who don’t want to celebrate black Villa players despite it being black history month are racist. It’s a bit like countering black lives matter with all lives matter and in doing so spectacularly missing the entire point.

Yes people are singling our black players to talk about because the hope is by doing so it helps challenge some of the hard of thinking in the community and in stadiums and online.

Not talking about racism or colour sure as hell doesn’t help the situation does it. So I think celebrating black players is important.

I’m pleased people are doing so.

They shouldn’t have to do so I agree, we should just be able to talk about great players period but sadly we don’t have that luxury. Racism in the game is still prevalent as demonstrated by one of our own towards Zaha recently. As a white guy talking about race and racism I’m fully aware of my lack of insight but I seriously doubt that many who have experienced racism first hand would consider this topic to be racist. 

It’s not racist, far from it. But I kind of get the OPs sentiment. One day in a ideal world we won’t need to celebrate history or people based on colour because such a time would have past where it wouldn’t be clouded by a recent history of oppression and discrimination.

We’ll all be deemed equal and live that way. But that is way way in the future and we’ll all be long gone by the time that day comes.

• Like 2

Â