PPV for Villa Games

Ouchmefoot

I pay for Sky, BT and Amazon prime. I paid £10 twice for a the god awful single camera Carabao cup coverage. I’ll probably pay £15 x3 for these games too. I’m probably being exploited but that’s capitalism and I am lucky that I can afford it.

Personally I think £15 is a bit dear but not too bad in a world where Xbox games are £60 and movies are £10 to rent on Amazon or Apple. This gives me 2 hours of entertainment that I wouldn’t have had otherwise so it comes with a cost. I think £10 would have been about right.

Edited by mikeyjavfc
  • Like 3

I'm not sure why some are going way over the top moaning about this. 

People saying they're going to get rid of their sky and bt subscriptions. When I originally signed up for BT and sky, I did so in the knowledge that I could watch the games they selected to be on. Now there is uproar because they aren't giving more games away for free? 

The premier league is a product. I can't go to the cinema at the moment, but I'm not demanding that the latest releases are put on sky movies for no extra charge. 

£15 a game is probably a little too much, but the expectation that it should be given away is ridiculous. 

The only people who should have PPV matches for free are those that have already paid for season tickets. And then it should only be the home games. 

If you don't like it, don't pay. 

• Like 3

I won’t pay on principal. It’s a rip off, exploits fans who if anything Covid has shown are the soul and essence of football, and certainly the ‘Premier League Experience”. If it was more sensitive to the times I would pay e.g. up to £7 per match, but so many of my friends and colleagues are financially suffering due to this bloody thing, my self included, it’s insensitive and detached from the everyman reality.

13 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I pay for Sky, BT and Amazon prime. I paid £10 twice for a the god awful single camera Carabao cup coverage. I’ll probably pay £15 x3 for these games too. I’m probably being exploited but that’s capitalism and I am lucky that I can afford it.

Personally I think £15 is a bit dear but not too bad in a world where Xbox games are £60 and movies are £10 to rent on Amazon or Apple. This gives me 2 hours of entertainment that I wouldn’t have had otherwise so it comes with a cost. I think £10 would have been about right.

Current movies are about £5 or less to rent, you can buy most at £10-13. Very rare is the latest movie releases £15, but you get to keep these forever. It’s out of touch.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Current movies are about £5 or less to rent, you can buy most at £10-13. Very rare is the latest movie releases £15, but you get to keep these forever. It’s out of touch.

Not really. Going to the cinema and the price to rent a movie from home are not massively different. 

Going to a football game and this price is quite a difference. I still think its too high but the uproar over it is way OTT. 

It’s too much for me. You pay a match ticket for the experience as well as the football itself. The buildup, the ambience, sitting in the stands. £15 to sit in my living room and watch a match once is way too much. Monthly subscription of 15 would be more like it. 

Let me ask another question. If MOTD was not free, how much would you pay for it. The only difference is editing.

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not really. Going to the cinema and the price to rent a movie from home are not massively different. 

Going to a football game and this price is quite a difference. I still think its too high but the uproar over it is way OTT. 

If enough fans pay for it it will become the norm. They will show the second tier matches and the box office stuff they they usually show will be PPV. We are about to have our trousers pulled down even further. The empty grounds and fake noise do not make for a premium experience and cannot justify the price. I accept you have the choice, my point is it’s out of touch with the current climate, the PL has its nose in the trough, the players live in a bubble, they will go too far at some point and fans will vote with their feet.

Edited by thunderball

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If enough fans pay for it it will become the norm. They will show the second tier matches and the box office stuff they they usually show will be PPV. We are about to have our trousers pulled down even further. The empty grounds and fake noise do not make for a premium experience and cannot justify the price. I accept you have the choice, my point is it’s out of touch with the current climate, the PL has its nose in the trough, the players live in a bubble, they will go too far at some point and fans will vote with their feet.

Sky did something similar with boxing, and it virtually killed the sport.

• Like 1

If all of the £15 payments went into a pot that was split equally through the league, then I can see the benefit for clubs in recouping some lost matchday revenue. I suspect they won’t be though and as others have said, this approach could create an even bigger wealth divide. 

As for the £15, it does seem a bit much compared to a monthly subscription or even a NowTv day pass at £10. I’d like to say I won’t pay it, but if I can’t find the games elsewhere and I want to watch them, then I’ll pay it and watch. 

• Like 1

At the moment they are showing every game because we can’t attend games. But in a normal situation they would show less games but you’d pay the same monthly fee.  Only way to watch your team if they were not on tv was to attend the game or find an illegal stream. 

Now they have made it available for you to pay to watch the game. Is this option going to remain available once crowds are allowed back in? If so I have no problem with it. If not then yes, it’s a piss take.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

This should, in my opinion, be rejected because it only serves to enrich Sky and BT and favour the larger clubs. This isn’t a fair model. 

Won't the larger clubs be picked for the sky and bt games schedules more? Therefore its a chance for the smaller clubs to get more money. 

• Like 1

Out of curiousity, if the PL came out with a digital season pass model that gave you TV access to every match and revenue was split evenly, what would people pay for that?

As I said in another thread, I pay $50 per year for Peacock TV. That gets me probably 2/3 of Villa matches live. The other ones that are on network TV here I either go to the pub or wait on the result until a replay stream pops up on Peacock later that night.

Â