PPV for Villa Games

Ouchmefoot

29 minutes ago, John said:

Whatever the price is it still won't be "fair" to every PL club's fans. The likes of Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea, never seem to be off either Sky or BT, so their fans won't need to pay for many PPV games. The rest and particularly clubs like WBA and Burnley, will seldom have their games shown, so they would be expected to pay through the nose to see their games on PPV. Fair doesn't really matter too much to the people who run the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United though.  

True but if PPV is the future then surely United and Liverpool games would make more money going forward than Burnley or West Brom

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

True but if PPV is the future then surely United and Liverpool games would make more money going forward than Burnley or West Brom

I hope it isn't the future. Those two clubs would admittedly make more money and do make more money for Sky/BT, but it is not really "fair" on the rest. Although football like life isn't always fair. ;) 

Premier League seem to be behind in recent times regarding modern thinking. They were one of the last sports organistions to get going after the lockdown as they never produced a plan and they have not even suggested or leaked a Premier League pass idea to the press. Most major sports organisations are doing it at the moment 

What's annoying me most about PPV (and all of the post-lockdown matches), which I'm simply not entertaining paying for since I have other sources - so I don't care about the outrageous price, is that the matches aren't being scheduled properly until very short notice. Obviously it's not as important to fix the time and date now, since fans can't attend, but I still want to know when our games are going to be so I can plan accordingly.

I want to fit other arrangements around our matches if possible, so I can watch myself and maybe with other people, but that's being made impossible. Take our upcoming fixture against Arsenal - it's still down as 3pm on Sat 7th Nov, while all of the games selected for TV that month have been moved. Yet Arsenal are playing in the Europe League on the Thursday night before, so there's no chance that our match against them is staying put. Why can't they schedule all of the matches for the upcoming month properly? What's so hard about that?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, jim said:

No further discussions about changes until after the international break.

Just ignored things then. Just heard them say this on Talksport. I wonder if it went to a vote? 

Edited by John

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said before but I think PPV is actually the complete opposite of the future. Or at least what the future SHOULD be.

They should centralise it. £10-£20 a month subscription for every single Premier League game, distributed by the PL themselves and not through a third party like Sky.

Yep, how they haven't come up with premflix yet when it's right in front of their face is beyond me

Can only assume that their greed with the TV deals means that they don't actually have the power to do so plus then some technical thing like they don't own the cameras or have the infrastructure so actually need sky to film it for them but it's so shortsighted

They've seemingly chased the money rather than put things in place and now they're lagging behind 

And I'll add to that how they've never had the vision to do an NFL films style thing on the side still amazes me 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, how they haven't come up with premflix yet when it's right in front of their face is beyond me

Can only assume that their greed with the TV deals means that they don't actually have the power to do so plus then some technical thing like they don't own the cameras or have the infrastructure so actually need sky to film it for them but it's so shortsighted

They've seemingly chased the money rather than put things in place and now they're lagging behind 

And I'll add to that how they've never had the vision to do an NFL films style thing on the side still amazes me 

Thing is they’d make more money from doing it themselves I’m sure. 

50 million subscribers worldwide at £20 a month would be a billion a month of revenue

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

So status quo?

You can't just have whatever you want you know. 

If you've a better idea I'd like to know what you're proposing? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

So status quo?

They were never going to roll over and lay down.

Imagine if the clubs were to all get together and break the rules. The Premier League could be Rockin’ all over the world with all the money they would make, and it would be fun fun fun for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Martyn Ziegler's very interesting report on yesterday's meeting, from The Times today:

"The Premier League has earned more than £5 million from the first two weekends of pay-per-view (PPV) matches but clubs have agreed to review the price after accepting that demanding £14.95 per game has been a PR crisis. At a meeting today the 20 clubs decided to stick with the fee for the next two rounds of matches but agreed to review PPV pricing after the international break, with a decision due to be made on November 5. It is highly likely that the PPV fee will be reduced to £9.95 to fall in line with the sum charged by clubs in the EFL, in the hope that the cut will persuade fans’ groups who have boycotted the games to drop their protests.

The clubs were told that the first nine PPV matches had brought in an average of 39,000 paid subscriptions, totalling £5.247 million, though some of that money will go to the broadcasters. Some matches attracted fewer than 10,000 subscriptions, and none more than 100,000. The average was calculated before the Brighton & Hove Albion v West Bromwich Albion match on Monday evening, which is likely to have attracted fewer than 10,000 paid subscriptions.

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, has urged the Premier League to cut the price to £4.95 per match but, according to sources at the meeting, the clubs were told that would actually cost money to produce. Some club chairmen also raised eyebrows at Ashley’s stance on the issue given that Newcastle were the only club to vote against a rescue package for clubs in League One and League Two. The Premier League review will aim to find a price tag that will raise viewer numbers considerably and therefore increase income. Satisfying disenchanted supporters will also be essential. The Liverpool fans’ group Spirit of Shankly has already raised £81,000 from people donating the £14.95 fee they would have paid to Sky Sports Box Office for Saturday’s game against Sheffield United. Other groups have organised similar boycotts.

Premier League executives will also consider the fact that some clubs will feature on PPV more than others because the “big six” teams are selected more often for live Sky and BT Sport matches, so some fans will be asked to pay more than others. However, there appears to be little room for manoeuvre on that matter. Some clubs proposed that the review considers making the matches available only via their websites, but that seems unlikely to be pursued either.

The Premier League clubs will also hold further talks with the FA over the governing body’s ultimatum regarding signing overseas players once post-Brexit laws come into force from January. The FA has told the top-flight clubs that it will not agree to their demands to be allowed to sign young, unproven talent from across the globe and that it will instead recommend to the government that the existing rules for non-EU players — under which permits are awarded based on international appearances — are extended to cover all EU players in future, too."

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Thing is they’d make more money from doing it themselves I’m sure. 

50 million subscribers worldwide at £20 a month would be a billion a month of revenue

I genuinely can't understand why they haven't done this before. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I genuinely can't understand why they haven't done this before. 

It's probably too hard. It would be a lot of work and they already get billions from the way they do it now.
Plus we have this old fashioned rule of you can't show 3pm kickoffs.

50million subscribers is obviously very ambitious (but not totally out of the question for supposedly the most popular league in the world's most popular sport)

Even if it was 10 million subscribers at £20 a month, it's 2.4 billion of revenue in a year. Obviously there would be costs associated but it's obviously hugely profitable given the amount Sky and BT pay for the rights. There's nothing to stop them advertising during the games as well if it's not profitable without them.

Other sports do it, and I think we'll get there eventually. but it won't be any time soon. I imagine they'd be under huge pressure from the likes of Sky not to do it as I assume premier league football is the entire reason a huge amount of people have Sky Sports in the first place. Or have Sky at all.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said before but I think PPV is actually the complete opposite of the future. Or at least what the future SHOULD be.

They should centralise it. £10-£20 a month subscription for every single Premier League game, distributed by the PL themselves and not through a third party like Sky.

By my reckoning, charging £20 a month, assuming 10 months a year, they'd need 8,325,000 subscribers to break even with the pre-covid model, and then consider that they were trying to push for extra games to be broadcast to expand the current TV deals.

Your international fans estimate is, as you say, incredibly ambitious, I'd go so far as to say incredibly unrealistic considering that international fans can already get all PL games - and more -  for far less than that as part of their TV packages. I think the PL could only hope to replace the domestic broadcasters. The UK is pretty much an outlier in how much we pay for sport in general. I also think they might have some concerns around taking PL games off the other broadcasters and risking something like rugby filling the void as Sky's premier sport - obviously that's not something that happens overnight, but in the long term it could have an effect.

It could work, but it's a lot riskier and less lucrative than you make out, IMO.

Edited by Davkaus

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

it's ridiculous that it's not happened yet. i shamelessly admit that i use a MAG box with IPTV subscription to watch my games but naturally you get that 30/40 second delay, so having to mute whatsapp chats, twitter notifications etc every time villa play is a bit of a pain.

if it was 10-20 quid for every PL game, as a standalone product (i.e. no sky subscription required) i'd actually pay.

the problem is that there is a worldwide audience that loves watching PL footy. NBC etc in the US just showing the 3pm games on their normal channels. i have colleagues in the US that like watching the midday games with their morning coffee on a saturday. are they going to pay £20 a month as casual viewers? possibly not. they're probably making more money with the current set up

Â