PPV for Villa Games

Ouchmefoot

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

You could sense the unease on which the commentators were advertising the sheff utd vs Fulham game at £14.95 on BT Sport over the weekend... 

I think they couldnt convince themselves that this would be a game worth buying 😂

Really hope the numbers were ridiculously low, but somehow I dont think we will hear that even if it's the case!

Just hope the real news comes out from the charity's side, with the upturn in donations. 

Although sky will try and spin this the reality will be that it's a bit embarrassing!

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8851227/Liverpool-Man-Utd-earn-100m-one-game-TV-Project-Big-Picture-proposals.html

I think this article from the Dirty Mail shows why it's so absolutely important that when games do end up going PPV and directly televised, it's absolutely crucial that the revenues from it are distributed collectively, in the same way that the current TV deals are. The strength of the league is in it being a league - and the future of the lower tiers rely on the teams in that league collectively generating enough income to be able to collectively  pass on some of that wealth.

If this is allowed to happen on a club-by-club basis, you'll have a situation where Liverpool or Man Utd will earn more TV money from single game than the entire Championship does in a season - you'll have a situation where Liverpool can earn more than a billion pounds for a season of TV while Newcastle earn less than hundred million. It will be the end of the league as a serious sporting proposition.

There's a reason Liverpool and Man Utd want this their way, and the reason is corporate rather than sporting.

Paying your £14.95 today will only encourage a tomorrow nobody but a handful of billionaires wants.

but these elite clubs must realise that they can't play against themselves......You are quite right to defend the structure of the league, it is paramount to secure its future and avoid elite club domination.

The lower league clubs are also the lifeblood of the big league and a certain mutualism exists......where did Jamie Vardy come from etc or David Platt......these players come from the lower leagues to thrive in the Prem......those Elite clubs are blind to the realities of the football structure and a touch of football imperialism that fails to appreciate the very title they pay homage to........The bigger picture.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Really hope the numbers were ridiculously low, but somehow I dont think we will hear that even if it's the case!

Just hope the real news comes out from the charity's side, with the upturn in donations. 

Although sky will try and spin this the reality will be that it's a bit embarrassing!

I watched on PPV...but won't be doing it again, the broadcast and back up was poor.

Last time I watched a little river was about ten years ago. A crappy unreliable feed on my laptop with loads of popups. Since then I've just stumped up the £80+ for Sky and BT each month. This PPV thing tipped me over the edge though so I did a bit of playing around and managed to watch a HD stream on my TV through a foreign channel. It was a couple of minutes behind but I think it was worth it.

Now I'm wondering whether I bother carrying on shelling out £80+ a month. If my little river solution continues to work, then I might well cut the cord. Won't feel too much guilt not giving Murdoch my money to be honest.

The PPV thing might just backfire!

• Like 1

I never seem to have much luck trying the little rivers, they always lag, freeze are in poor definition or commentated on Kyrgyz!

I'm not happy spending the £15 but I will; guess it'll be an expensive month with three more Villa fixtures on PPV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I watched on PPV...but won't be doing it again, the broadcast and back up was poor.

I though it was a problem with my wifi to begin with despite the fact I  can watch bt sports on my laptop and skygo with no problem,  but yes the broadcast was horrible and trying to follow the ball in transition was difficult , more or less missed Barkley’s goal wasn’t sure if it hit the side netting or went in.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This one is in a way even more nefarious than this - those elite clubs recognise that there's a value to the lower leagues (at least until they figure out how to have B teams) and are throwing them a bone - they're finding cash for them.

The part of the football structure they're looking to do something about is the bottom fourteen of the Premier league - from the perspective of Man Utd and Liverpool, they generate all of the money, so they should receive all of the money - the "Big Picture" plan was made to achieve that.

It's not Grimsby or Middlesbrough or Luton Town they want to disadvantage, they'll give those teams enough to survive - it's Leeds United and Newcastle United and Aston Villa that they consider as leeches taking more than they're entitled to. It's those teams and the likes of Wolves and West Ham that they feel are receiving more than they earn. 

Coincidentally, those are also that teams that are a bit of a threat to them.

Over the last six or seven years, the Premier league has become so rich that the gap between it and the Championship has become such a chasm that it sends a ripple of dangerous overspending down through the pyramid and puts Championship clubs at risk, which puts lower league clubs at risk and makes the very existence of clubs precarious.

Also over the last six or seven years, the Premier league has become so rich that there are teams in it that can attract players that are good enough to threaten the 'big' six and their position at the top of the TV food chain. The point of "Big Picture" is to support "smaller teams" but to make sure that "smaller teams" starts at seventh place in the Premier league.

They want to take money out of the bottom fourteen positions of the Premier league - keep half of it and give half to the lower leagues - by doing that they can make the gap between the Premier League and the Championship more manageable by making most of the Premier League poorer - a position that then strengthens the top six's grip on the league and on the money that comes with it.

Apparently Liverpool and Man Utd were absolutely furious that the Chairman of Leeds was angry about "Big Picture" because Leeds have only played four Premier league games in sixteen years and therefore haven't contributed to the Premier leagues riches - by definition, the big six believe that they generate the vast majority of the income and should therefore keep more of it and be responsible for decision making.

It's that principle that I hate - the league is the thing - the league and not its teams - it's a collective and it's important that the product remains "The Premier League" and not individual clubs - one member, one vote, and an equitable share in revenues.

We must be very careful not to get caught out slapping ourselves on the back for having put a stop to "Big Picture" whilst individual PPV TV revenues pass through unnoticed. If there's not a mechanism imposed on PPV revenues that brings them into the collective picture, then the game is dead. I think it's that important - and I think it's something we should be very aware of.

eloquently put....so how is the big 6 defined?.....are we one, now?lol

I do understand what is being proposed and I think they are cheeky buggers.....if it was in place, we would get inferior payments for beating Liverpool......yeah, right.

ALL the teams in the Premier League contribute to the entertainment as any team in  any league....They can't be serious in that proposal, its laughable.

thanks for the resume.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I listened on the radio last night. huddled around the set in the drawing room in my smoking jacket, and I've got to say, if you think a lack of fans makes TV coverage bad, on the radio it kills any sort of atmosphere stone dead, it sounded like two fellas in a back room.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Why did you think it was poor?

I watched on PPV and it just seemed normal to me.

because someone else said it....😀

No seriously....I thought there would be some better after match banter/analysis and at Half time, but there was nothing....we have to go to another channel and there was a delay while other topcs were being dicussed

Edited by TRO

My problem was that somehow we were watching the game 5 minutes behind everyone else. This I only really noticed when the goal alert came through! Full time also came up and so it was the most relaxed I’ve ever been watching the last 5 minutes of a tight Villa match. 😎

Cheapest away day I have done for a while!

Watched the game at a mates and we chipped in £5 each and had a few beers. The trip to the King Power last season prior to lockdown set me back around £60 for ticket, travel, food and beer. It was also an awful night, both on and off the pitch.

Personally quite happy to pay for the PPV games, for Villa games. I then utilise the little rivers for BT and PPV games that I want to watch, but the unreliability worries me when Villa are on.

Agree with peoples comments on the PPV though, commentary and pre/post match were really poor. I'm expecting the price to be reduced in November.

Â